IGNORED

move to uncompressed audio files

dotnef

I would like to merge my HiFi system with my audio files on iTunes.

Things have changed and I realise today that I only listen to music with files from my computer. And I don’t want to change this.

So, the idea, is to move my MP3 to uncompressed music.

Is it ok to use .aiff files instead of .wav? I’d like to use this kind of extension because I can add artwork on iTunes but I don’t want to make a mistake in this choice before I re-import all my disks…

The second question is regarding Airport Express. Today, the connection between my computer and my HiFi system is done with 1 Airport Express wirelessly. Is there a compression of the audio files in this way or not? If it is the case, can I use an Ethernet cable from my computer to the Airport Express to solve the issue?

Thanks by advance

Moving from MP3: I assume you are aware that you will have to rerip from the original CD to get any improvement in quality. You can't just click "Make AIFF version" in iTunes to change the quality. If you are re-ripping, then you may like to use EAC / dbPowerAmp (on PC) or XLD (on Mac) which has better reporting to ensure that rips are correct.

AIFF vs WAV: to all intents and purposes these formats are identical - some people report hearing a difference but others hear none.

Airport Express: If you use the Airport Express to connect to your HiFi, then this uses lossless compression (Apple Lossless / ALAC) of the audio information. If you purely use this as your HiFi source, then you could store your files in ALAC format - sound quality will be the same but smaller file size. Adding an Ethernet cable won't make any difference. The only way to avoid this is to use a direct connection (USB or TOSLink) to the DAC in your HiFi and eliminate the Airport Express.

Hope my replies help you.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.