IGNORED

New Wavelength Cosecant V3

Hello Pyewacket,

thank you for your reply. I have heard the DL-III before, hence I have now an idea what the Cosecant sounds like.

Regarding your English, I know what you mean, since English is not my native Language either. And I have to admit, that sometimes I want to ask a question or reply to one and hesitate, because I don't know how to formulate my thoughts in prober English. Anyway, I think we understand each other.

Thanks again.

I am well aquainted with the Crimson and the Cosecant Version 3. I presently own a Crimson Silver.

With both DACs using the Numerator 24/96 module, the Crimson puts out a bigger soundstage; deeper and wider. The Crimson is richer sounding. Instruments have more body and are more realistically protrayed. I have found the Crimson to be more dynamic with more power in the low end. The sense of pace and rhythm is greater with the Crimson.

Adding a Silver transformer yields greater detail and resolution that are both enhanced over the standard models.

Steve Plaskin

• 11 months later...

Hi Gordon;

I just wanted to say how happy I have been with my Cosecant V3 with the numerator module. I am ready to take the next step and order a Crimson Silver. I just wanted to know before I do how much better can it get? My system consists of a VAC Phi 2.0 controller all tubed with Telefunken ECC803s tubes and a CAT JL-2 amp with unreal NOS tubes as well and the IC's and speakers are Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8's and this combo with my Mac mini is just killer. I currently use iTunes as the player with Ipad remotes etc. and I find it hard to beleive that it could be better than this. Is it worth getting Amarra or some other software to go with this before I move up to the Crimson? I have read many reviews and I am sure that I will be happy but the guy that sold me the Cosecant to this day is kicking his butt for selling it. I have over 1000 hours on it and it is superb. The soundstage if incredible and the imaging is so real that when I close my eyes I could swear they are right in the room with me. I have the highest respect for your products and look forward to your advice. I read on CA pages that some spend money like water on unbeleivably expensive DAC's and it seems never to end!! I have a budget which is probably much more than most but with as many interests that I have I like to spread the wealth around and not blow my brains out on just one obssession. Any constructive advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Cheers and much thanks

Nick

The Dubemaster

I think I can help you Dubemaster. I have a Crimson Silver Denominator and Wilson Sasha WP speakers. I had the WP 8s before this. I have also have listened to the Cosecant ver 3 /Numerator on my system and am well aquainted with the sound.

The Crimson/Denominator/Silver is a very big upgrade from the otherwise excellent Cosecant ver 3. The Crimson soundstage is much bigger than the Cosecant, bass is more powerful and dynamic, and the resolution with the Denominator is much better.

Here is a review I wrote about the Crimson Silver Denominator comparing it to the Numerator module with the same DAC:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=pcaudio&n=72956&highlight=crimson+denominator

Feel free to contact me if you have questions. Also, you can see my system on AA under Mercman.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

I was obviously away from the site for some time. I had some massive things going on in my life, including losing my business. I had no idea the requests for a follow up were being made.

I don't know how appropriate my comments would be today or if anyone is still interested.

The Cosecant remains one of my favorite DAC's I've ever personally heard. I didn't fail to report back because of negatives. Like any product, there are some, but the overall impression is very positive.

Pure is one of the adjectives that comes to mind with the Cosecant. It is very agile, light on it's feet, however you care to put it. These qualities are especially valued with acoustic jazz, small and medium scale classical, vocals, etc. Someone mentioned the low bass as being a concern. I would have to say that if there is something the Cosecant does less well, it is the bass and drive. It is mainly by comparison with the Ayre QB-9 and ARC DAC8 that I notice it. It is really a taste thing. It is extremely articulate and well controlled but slam is not it's strength.

The high frequencies are very pure hard and hard to best. I just love the purity. Midrange is also very pure and clean. Perhaps clean would be the best way to describe it in one syllable. Not clean as in sterile or analytical. Clean as in natural with no sense of smear.

In comparison with the Ayre, the QB-9 is perhaps a safer, all around performer for slightly less money. However the Cosecant has a magic sort of quality that is absolutely lovely. The Ayre doesn't match that, at least in my view.

As always, I sell this stuff so treat my opinions accordingly. The three different "go to" DAC's are the Ayre, the Wavelength, and the DAC8. I've tried a few others I am not as fond of and I won't mention them for the obvious reasons.

Sorry; I was unaware that people were asking, long ago for a follow-up. The swamp was full of alligators at the time...

By the way, the less expensive Brick has been improved enormously since it's introduction. The Cosecant is still clearly superior but the Brick went from being OK to shockinly good for the money, assuming you value it's strengths which are much the same as the Cosecant's, just to different degrees.

Rick

Hey Chris, should have shot me an email. I feel better now; made it your fault.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Rick,

Have you heard the BADA? If so, would you put it on your list of "go to DACs?" The Crimson is the only one on your list that compares to the BADA, to my ears, in my system. Yes, the others (except the DAC8) are less expensive, but I think you get more for more with the BADA. Did you mean USB DACs only? BTW, I haven't heard it, but what about the Weiss DAC202? The downside to Gordon's DACs are that he has nowhere near enough dealers. I e-mailed his dealer on the other side of FL from me about a Wavelink, never even heard back. I'm not fond of buying on reputation only. There is a dealer with Ayre and Berkeley 20 minutes from me, and an ARC dealer within walking distance. Apparently, Gordon has lost another dealer, (you). Too bad- I love his stuff, but can't audition it, and you sound like a good guy to buy from.

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I have risen from the ashes, so to speak. I've heard the BADA, mainly at the Symposium Chris put on. I was not blown away but according to Chris there were some system issues. Can't imagine there are many more dealers for that than Wavelength but I honestly don't know. The fact that you have to have a full blown PC with a card slot made it of no interest to me, other than personally. Not what customers are looking for.

Gordon hasn't lost me. I have enormous respect for what he does. I did mean USB DAC's only. Weiss has been courting us but I haven't had any quality time with one yet and struggle with their pro/consumer pricing. I'm sorry you didn't hear from the Wavelength dealer. It does Wavelength a disservice. I don't count non computer interface DAC's, although it's a plus having the inputs, just because of where the market and desire seems to be. Our two big source components are USB DAC's and high end turntables. Disc players are not hot, to say the least.

Do try to audition what you can. If I were rich and perverse, one out of two, I would own the DAC8 and the Cosecant and switch inputs according to mood/music.

Best

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Rick,

According to the wavelength website, Gordon has exactly 10 dealers. I have no idea how many Berkeley has, but they have one very close to me in south eastern Florida. The nearest wavelength dealer is in Tampa, about 4 hours away. (The one who never got back to me). By Gordon losing you, I meant that I thought you were out of business, not that you had lost confidence in Gordon. He has always been very nice in correspondence with me, and I love his products that I have heard, but hearing one near my home or in my system- has not been possible.I agree with you, tube sound is great- but not if I can't hear it near my home with a dealer who is available for questions. BTW, if you are back in business, can you sell Wavelength products to me? I don't know what the rules are.

Thanks.

Brad

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

No, I knew what you assumed re: being a Wavelength dealer. As I reread what I wrote, it wasn't very clear on my part. To quote Mark Twain, the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Actually they were true but I have reemerged. I thought there were more dealers for Wavelength than that. It's a really nice product.

I'm located in the Kansas City area. The normal rule in high end is that you are limited to selling in your geographical area or to people who have phsyically been in the store. That is one of the reasons why I feel somewhat comfortable doing semi-reviews. I can't sell to the vast majority of you anyway. If there is not a dealer local to you, it is up to the manufacturer to determine how to deal with it. I always check with them because I value my relationships. Sometimes the answer is that you can go ahead, sometimes they will have a dealer closer who they feel is more appropriate.

Hope that helps explain the mechanics somewhat. Unfortunately things are changing as we dinosaurs who believe in showrooms and demos are becoming extinct. I think two channel is making something of a comeback, which is a great thing and a testimony to the power of music. I'm with Gordon; I would rather hear two great channels than 7 mediocre ones any day.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a Brick and an Isabellina, the new version has a tube stage and so should be a very similar type of NOS sound. The battery arrangement seems to make great sense but I see very little mention of either the RWA or Altmann products for that mattter.

Thanks all[br]Mark