IGNORED

Inspecting Audio File Properties (sample rate, bit depth)

Anyone know of freeware (Windows-XP) I can use to inspect audio file properties? I'm asking because my players are telling me two different stories. On my HDD I have a mix of files, mostly CD tracks (ALAC) and various hi-res files in FLAC, WAVE & AIFF at 192/24, 96/24 and 48/24.

In iTunes last night, I converted a 96/24 Wave file to ALAC. In song properties it reads the sample rate at 96 kHz. But when I open up the iTunes music folder>song>properties it shows a sample rate of 44.1 kHz. QuickTime, DB Amp and VLC show the same.

I see all the data is correct - 39% compressed and the math is correct also (44,100 x 2 x 24) for the bit-rate. Though the file is smaller, why would the resolution of that file change? Anything I could use to accurately read a compressed file? I'm still going to enjoy my music whether the file remained a true 96 kHz or got down-sampled.

However, I'm currently short on disc space. And purchased the song from iTrax. Was very sleepy last night and moved the original to the recycle bin and then... (no he didn't! - YES I DID!!!) I emptied the trash bin as I logged off. The next day I wanted my download back but realized it was down-the-street!

Thanks in advance for your insight.

- anthony

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

• 3 weeks later...

Two options... First, this might be a bit more than what you're looking for, but I've been checking out a product called "Sonic Visualiser". It's free and it will do a deep dive into the files themselves. Check out the screen shots at sonicvisualiser.org. If this is more than what you're looking for, the second option is an old program (if you can still find it) called "EncSpot Pro". Google it, and you should find it out there for download. It's free now, but I bought the "pro" version back in the day. I found pro out there for free about 6 months ago. The author quit developing it, and turned it into freeware. I like both programs. Though EncSpot has some age on it, I still find it useful. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't recall what file formats it will read. I know it will do MP3, but I can't recall if it will do other file formats also. As you're looking for it, be careful and make sure the site you're getting it from is not full of spyware. I have a little "surfer" PC that has nothing on it but an OS that I use to test software. I've also got an image, and if anything hits this box I just reimage it. If anyone else is familiar with EncSpot and knows a newer equivalent, please let me know! Hope one of these works for you.

AudioWav[br]Custom built AMD Quad Core >> 5 GB RAM >> Creative XFI >> built around Adobe Audition 3.01 and several other software titles for archiving/editing/cleaning/creating music.

This is not freeware - but is pretty cheap - does this job very well, if you are Explorer and the mouse glides over the audio file it will automatically tell you.

It is also a very good tag labeller and converts from format to format and sample rate to sample rate - I can't praise it enough - without doubt a seriously good tool.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Blueixus I totally agree with you. I just downloaded the app today, and wow! I had been reading on this site for a little while now about how it performed well and everyone was right. At the time of my writing above I had no idea it would do that as well. Anthony I would download the trial, kick the tires, and I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with it yourself. It's 36 dollars well spent!

AudioWav[br]Custom built AMD Quad Core >> 5 GB RAM >> Creative XFI >> built around Adobe Audition 3.01 and several other software titles for archiving/editing/cleaning/creating music.

Thanks AudioWav & Blueixus for your insights. In my original post I mentioned having QuickTime, DbPower Amp & VLC - all reading ALAC files differently than iTunes, which encoded the files. ITunes continues to show a 96/24 ALAC file sampled at 96 kHz. QT/DbAmp/VLC on the other hand will show same file at 44.1/24.

Perhaps, it's an issue with reading tags; compression, any thoughts? On Sonic Visualizer, not quite seeking that type of info though it looks useful. I looked up EncSpot Pro and it doesn't appear to disclose sample rate. I could do the math but why - occasionally yes, several files why bother...

Something tells me that QT/DbPower Amp & VLC must be using the bit-rate based on new file size as opposed to sample rate the file was encoded at. Maybe I could use more clarity on lossless encoders. I'm sure some readers may wonder why any of this really matters. For me it's one of management - deciding to move, keep or purge a hi-res audio file especially if it's a paid download.

I am intrigued as I have never seen a variance between dbPowerAmp and other programmes.

You mention you converted a file from 96/24 to ALAC in itunes, if I try to do that it simply tells me the bit and sample rate are not valid for the encoder.

I always thought that will itunes will play 96/24 it can't convert it to ALAC, whereas it can for 44.1. Is it possible that the file you converted was infact a 44.1 and not a 96.

As you can see I am clutching at straws here!

Regards

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Great community we have here - we talk, think and share our recent purchases, planned purchases or audio experiences. I converted a 96/24 Wave file to ALAC in iTunes. It certainly wasn't my first. The sudden attention stems from running out of HDD space.

Sure, storage has gotten really cheap the last couple of years. And getting another big drive and server is somewhere on my list. But at this writing, I'm saving every single piece of change for my first headphone amp. I have my BIG eye on a WA6 w/EML or Sophia Princess. If I can stay on top of bills, then make it a WA6 SE!

But anyway, I found something! Like, just moments ago. I was looking at the properties while typing this reply and for the first time I noticed that DbPower Amp properties has the track duration wrong. This leads me to believe it's a tag issue with compressed files. It's correctly reading the uncompressed version.

For example: Red Clay (PCM Stereo 2.0)

Patrice Rushen Trio

iTunes displays:

Time: 5:51

Kind: Wav

Size: 193 MB

Bit-rate: 4608

Sample rate: 96 kHz

Sample size: 24-bit

Kind: ALAC

Size: 117 MB

Bit-rate: 2782

DB power amp displays:

Kind: Wav

Size: 193 MB

Bit-rate: 4608

Time: 12:44

Kind: ALAC

Size: 117 MB

Bit-rate: 2116

Sample rate: 44.1 kHz

If DBpower amp were reading a lossy file that size, then the math is correct. (channels, size, sample rate, bit-rate)

But ALAC is lossless compressed appx 37 - 39% and DB fails to take that in to consideration. If it did, the math would correctly be "incorrect." Nor would track duration be twice the length.

While I do like the 'mouse over' gesture with DB (entire prop file at-a-glance), I really would like to use something a bit more accurate. I have been searching the web the last few weeks to no avail. I know there's something out there and I'm so close - but no French bubbly just yet!

Ahh. I see your delima now. Unfortunately I'm out of ideas at this point. I'm definately interested in what you find though. Such a program would be very useful. I wonder if Chris (this site's founder) knows of such an application that would be accurate?

When I wake up later on today (Sat.) I think I'll head over to the Apple forum & support. What I do know is that I can playback 96/24 and 192/24 files in both iTunes and QuickTime. But what I don't know is the reliability of the iTunes encoder.

I'd be hoppin' mad if iTunes supported playback of 24-bit files but the encoder converted to 16-bit files. I think the AIFF encoder defaults to 16-bit during conversion but unsure about the ALAC compression. I don't believe Apple would stand by and not address that one though. They seem like a company that gets the on-going movement with computer audio.

I too, would be interested in what Chris has to say. Because even if he couldn't give me an answer directly, he could steer me to somebody who could. This challenge motivated my first post here but I have been reading for Computer Audiophile awhile with pleasure and interest. Think I'll hit him up midday.

Take care AudioWav.