IGNORED

CES 2010 dCS debussy

From CES: introducing their new Debussy digital-to-analog converter. Housed in the sleek U-Clock chassis, Debussy features a wide array of inputs, including dCS' patent-pending asynchronous USB, as well as traditional S/PDIF and AEB/EBU. An LED-based display indicates active input, sample rate, and volume level. The control board and Ring DAC are derived from those in the Paganini DAC, with variable output of either 2V or 6V available on either XLR balanced or RCA unbalanced analog connectors.

Chris, did you have chance to see this piece?

Dan

dCS's Async USB implementation requires only the OS built in drivers (a.k.a. Driverless implementation) just like Ayre and Wavelength.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

you don’t need to mess with MIDI Settings on the Mac as it switches resolution and bit depth automatically (i.e. no need for Amarra)

(At least that’s true for the U-Clock, and I guess they have no reason to change it)

Best Regards

Best regards,[br]Lorenzo

• 9 months later...

I did a couple of quick searches and came up with very little, so I thought I would give this thread a bump.

I haven't found much to read in the way of reviews (in English) or forum buzz regarding this dCS Debussy (USB) DAC.

Are there any people here at CA using them?

Thx

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

I also have one and think it is very good too.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Thanks for the reply Chris. Someone beat me to it, but I was wondering the same thing - how does it sound and in comparison to its peers.

In a few quick searches, I haven't seen it discussed or on the C.A.S.H. list. Did you actually purchase one? or is it in on review loaner?

Thanks

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

• 2 months later...

There's a review of the Debussy on the Stereophile website: http://stereophile.com/content/dcs-debussy-da-processor

Technically, it looks superb. And interestingly, jitter measurements for its spdif/aes inputs are pretty much identical to its async USB input. Async USB/firewire inputs are all the rage nowadays, but it seems 'legacy' inputs, when done right, can still hold their own.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

>>We had one here,not bad, a bit digitally sounding I thought?

But of course, you'd say that, wouldn't you? Why comment when it is impossible for you to make an objective one?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

• 9 months later...

We just brought one in for an event we were having as a loaner to drive D'Agostino Momentum Mono's and Wilson Sasha's. Many commented that this was the best they had ever heard Sasha's sound and days later we decided to become a dCS dealer. SInce then we've been enjoying it immensely. Whoever said that the sound it produces is "digital" I would have to respectfully disagree with. The sound we achieved was anything but. The best way to describe the Debussy is that it just sounds correct. I'm not much of a "reviewer" so I'll leave that up to the pro's but I can say that everyone in my store, both employees and customers, have been very impressed. I can't wait till we get the U-Clock!

P.S. Chris: Thanks for continuing to do a great job with this forum. I've learned more about digital audio from posts on here than from the rest of the industry put together.

Cheers,

Igor Kivritsky

Hi-Fi Centre

www.hificentre.com