IGNORED

M2Tech Hi-Face with Kernel Streaming.

I have been reading about this device and feel it is worthy of a trial. A friend loaned me one and i have it in the system now. I have emailed the designer Marco several times. For now, I am still using my IBM Stinkpad T43 with Winblows XP SP3 totally tweeked for Audio. My DAC uses the Hagerman Technologies USB board based on the BB/TI PCM2704 USB receiver chip. The SQ of this system has been quite good as i use teh Ridge Street Audio Enopias USB cable. I have been using J. River Media Center as my front end player and I use ASIO (latest) to bypass the dreaded kernel mixer.

Those of you who may remeber my posts when I seemed to disfavor the Mac platform, esp. the Itunes application. I have a great Mac Powerbook G$ that I do plan on listening into the system once i get it fixed and M2tech comes out with a stable driver for the Leopard 10.5 OS X. I am urging all of you to use Play as your front end app for Mac! The Power DC In board needs to be replaced , I have the part ad will work with a freind once he is recovered to install along with a right rear fan.

J. River media center with ASIO as the mode will not see the hi face unit. It does see it in Direct sound and wav out modes. The same can be said for Media Monkey. I have always favored the SQ og J River over al other programs I have tried to date.

The Kernal Steaming Plugin, made by Steve Monk for winamp http://www.stevemonks.com/ksplugin/ works for Media Monkey. You need to place the file in the plugins folder for MM.

When using a PC or laptop , you should unmap the Audio device within Device manager. This creates a straighter path and the computer cannot alter the volume. MM when playing a good sounding 16 bit 44.1 KHZ recording sounds very open, fast and the Highs are much better. I am not experiencing any of the clicking problems I have read about. I am still hopeful to use J River with ASIO or Kernel streaming if anyone knows how to do this?

More to come and i want to see this thread be active to assist people.

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

A couple of things to add.

MM will work with Asio4All but sounds horrible - on my system it comes across as a complete lack of detail and air or 'treble' if I want to get really bitchy! MM with the KS plug-in sounds, as you say, very good indeed. I also tried Wavelab with the Asio4All plug-in and got the same result as with MM. This sugests to me that it isn't necessarily A4A that is at fault, just that the HiFace driver and A4A don't work well together.

With Steve Monks KS plugin correctly configured I'm still to be convinced that the unmapping thing does anything at all. I've seen it mentioned a lot recently and I honestly just cannot see what doing this achieves. With volume deselected in the plug-in (which is actually the default state) then the media player will not have a volume control and if the system audio is set to 'No Sounds', then the system will not be trying to use it anyway. I fail to see what, in the system, is going to be trying to change a volume? I have a feeling this is one of those tweeks that mysteriously gains cult status whilst actually doing nothing at all. I've been wrong before so if I'm missing something here, please let me know!!

I'm still playing with my HiFace (going to try XXHE once I get Win7 up on the audio computer) but my initial inmpressions are that, correctly partnered, it is very good indeed. I also do not feel it necessary to qualify that - as in 'for the money' - it's a cracking little bit of kit!

Hey Bob,

I am uninstalling ASIO then I wil install ASIO4all to see if I can get J. River Media Center 14 to see the device. If that works, I can compare MM with KS versus J River with ASIO4all.

Liz

Bob,

I installed ASIo4all and JRMC sees and will with the Hi Face. I played several songs comparing the two apps. MM seems to have a lot more air and maybe lighter in the bass. JRMC seems to be stronger in the bass yet lacks the air.

I am one who feels these programs are better the Foobar. What to you think?

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

I am not using the JRiver MC but the Jukebox.

Running Windows XPSP3 and it works fine with the HiFace. It is the ASIO4ALL, I do not know if it works with JRiver MC or not.

I did try unmapping before I tried the ASIO4ALL. At this point, I can't tell you which sounds better. Just want to let you know that the free version works with ASIO4ALL and the HiFace.

mP

This device is awesome! I have to use media Monkey with Steve Monk's Kernel Streaming Plug (meant for winamp). The sound has opened up significantly, the air and high frequencies are a lot better. This is what happens when you run a LOW Jitter source as told to me by an engineer.

I will try and run some higher resolutions files tonight. My DAC is 18 bit but should be able to play higher resolution files.

I want to try My mac in the future when M2tech has a working, stable PPC Mac OS 10.5 driver.

What a great device this Hi-Face is!

• 3 weeks later...

I can play 24 bit 96 KHZ now using this device! The M2tech is awesome and i have no problems. Once I get my Mac laptop fixed, I will try that out using Play; I hate Itunes.