IGNORED

Converting ALAC music files to WAV.

Hi guys,

I need help. I have ripped off hundreds CDs and saved in ALAC format in my external drive, using iTune. I found that the quality of music saved in WAV format is better than that in ALAC. I want to convert all my music files saved in ALAC to WAV. My concern is this: Is the quality of music in WAV format converted from ALAC the same as the quality of music in WAV format which is saved by ripping off CDs.

SS

sss

The converted files will be, in every sense currently currently known to science, identical to files that had been ripped to WAV in the first place. There are those that detect an audible difference. I absolutely do not dispute their accounts, but there is no explanation or theory offered that explain the differences. If it were me I would leave them as ALAC, or failing that batch convert them to WAV. Last resort would be to pay someone else to re-rip them, unless you have lot's of time on your hands. Either way they'll sound the same imho.

John.

Give dbPowerAmp a go.

If using iTunes to play back the .wav files I would use iTunes to convert them as otherwise you'll loose all metadata.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you've already ripped the cd to ALAC and you convert back to WAV you won't regain the info that was taken out when ripping to ALAC (smaller file size so something has been taken out). Therefore they will sound exactly the same. If you were to re-rip the same cd in WAV you might find a difference but as has already been posted the jury's still out on that one.

In saying that I rip in AIFF, which if you are using itunes as your playback engine then for ease and tagging then AIFF is much simpler.

Ryan

Sorry but you are completely wrong...

A file converted to ALAC (Apple Lossless) then converted to WAV (or AIFF) will have the same information as the original WAV. The whole point of Lossless compression (ALAC, FLAC, etc) is that nothing is lost - it's the same as using Zip to compress a Word document.

Sound quality MAY be different when playing back ALAC vs AIFF because of additional processing steps hving to be done in real time.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.