IGNORED

Some general advice for a starter from the UK please!

Phil,

I would not worry too much about the connection. Once you get the Mac you will be thrilled. I currently use the USB connection to a DAC, however I may switch to using an optical DAC in the near future. I have been using a Mac Mini to feed a DAC for my digital playback for a while and love it. I have had a few high end cd players over the years and love the computer to DAC solution and it should only get better and easier in the future.

ADM9.1s ,2.0 Ghz Mac Mini, Panasonic BD-35 blu-ray player.

Hey radar - I'm curious why you're thinking about switching to an optical DAC? Are you just supplementing your USB DAC or actually swapping out for an optical?

Just curious if you've found some shortfalls or if you want a wider selection of DACs because most seem to have optical.

Let us know when you get a chance.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Radar,

Tell me more about your set up/history and it sounds like you are at where I am going (if that makes sense!). What high end CDPs did you have, how does your new computer set up compare, how do you operate the Mac Mini, what DAC do you use?

Thanks for everything all! Off to wet seaside in England for the day now!

Phil

Chris, I currently use AVI ADM9s with a 16 bit Burr Brown DAC and ADC built in. I am very happy with the sound, the only reason I am thinking of switching is because they are coming out with a version that uses a 24 bit DAC, however it only takes an optical connection and I will lose my ADC abilities. However, I am excited about the potential of 24 bit downloads.

Phil,

I currently use AVI ADM9s with a Mac Mini, and an Lp12 for my turntable. In the past I used an AVI pre-amp with ATC active 20's and a Linn Karik/Numerik, I have also tried an Arcam CD73 and Arcam DV79 for cd players. Granted it was in a different room of my house, but as good as I thought my old system was, I feel that my new one is at least as good and much more simple to use. Basically I do not feel that I gave up any sonic performance on the digital side by going to a computer/DAC setup.

Radar,

These AVI ADM9s sound very interesting - tell me more! Basically, do they connect direct to Mac so no amps, DACs etc between? Of course, they mean you can't swap/switch around components, etc. Let me know your experiences with them. I am just printing out a review article on them.

Best wishes

Phil

Phil,

The amps are built into each speaker, and the left speaker contains the pre-amp and DAC/ADC. The USB of the Mac Mini (or any computer) plugs into the back. I believe in the UK they also sell the version that takes an optical input. As I said before, I had the AVI pre amp for two years and loved it and was saving up for an AVI amp and speakers when the ADM9s came out. Having never been disappointed in any of their products I decided to take a chance and have not looked back. You are right, it does leave less room for tinkering, however I still find plenty of tinkering to do with my turntable and phono stage. Basically I run everything through my Mini including tv and my Xbox and then output the sound to the ADM9s which also work very well for movies games and tv besides music. Some people at my dealer did a comparison of the ADM9 pre to a new Linn Majik pre and they could not really tell a difference for what that is worth.

Radar,

They sound very interesting - I would like to get a demo. They were well reviewed by a respected hi fi mag here in UK. However, given I have a decent system, pre, power, speakers and a "starter" DAC (Beresford) I think my first tentative steps into computer audio will probably be using my existing system. I like the idea of the active drivers in the ADM9s though - active is supposed to outclass passive.

Thanks for the info.

Phil

Radar,

Don't give up on me yet! I have read a few more articles and been in touch with AVI (are they a UK or US company?). Their HQ is not that far away so I am hoping to get there for a demo.

How do you find the set up? Running mains leads to each speaker and a lead between them sounds a bit of a pain?

Had not really heard of AVI before - you obviously have a lot of time for them - do they tend to have a clique following?

Phil

Phil,

The setup is not too bad, it is a little unusual having the mains come out of the speaker, and it makes it necessary to have outlets near the speaker. The lead going between them is not too bad. Since everything plugs into the left speaker, all my equipment is to the left and behind the left speaker. AVI is a UK company. They do not have a large distribution in the US, and they have been back here for about 4 years. I do not think they ever left the UK market. They are not as big as say Naim, Linn and Arcam.

Thanks Radar,

I am in touch with AVI - they are not too far away - hope to pop over for a demo sometime soon.

If I am bowled over, then it is a "no brainer" - I will probably go down this route. However, it represents a bigger step for me than just going the route I had planned using my existing system with Mac and DAC.

I will let you know how I get on.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I've only recently got into this myself and if you live nearby then I'm happy to show you my setup. I sold my Clearaudio Emotion deck to buy a Mac Mini + matching Iomega 400GB external drive + KingRex UD-01 USB DAC.

It's not connected up to the most amazing system but my Mission 782SE's are powered by two Rotel Amps and the whole thing is connected to my Plasma - I use Apple's supplied Front Row to browse my albums which are ripped bit perfect using I-Tunes. I-Tunes as you know works perfectly with the I-Pod. Just waiting on my Logitech Harmony 555 to turn up so I can hide away some of the remotes !!!

If you fancy seeing it I'm in north Kent ...

Regards,

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Matt,

Thanks, I may take you up on offer. But the critical thing is....how do you find it compared to your previous CD? based system?

Radar,

New ADM9s due for release so I may be able to get some old ones cheap - going for a demo on Tuesday. Lots of heated debate about them in UK! I take it you love them?

Phil

Phil,

I do love them and as I mentioed before I do not miss my old cd playback, and vinly playback is awesome. There has been a lot of debate on another forum about the speakers, and unfortunatley, the boss of AVI can be a little upfront in his opinions. They have always been very helpful whenever I have had questions. When you go for the demo make sure they are using full rez files, they seem to think mp3 quality is good enough and I do disagree with them on that point.

Radar,

Thanks - I have been in touch with Ashley James at AVI and have also seen some of his Forum.........shall we say, debates? At the end of the day, I will let my ears be the judge as best they can. The one Forum debate I have followed with Ashley, he has said that ipods with MP3 is better in his opinion than high end vinyl, or words to that effect! However, he has also come up against folk who are incredibly set in their ways with comments like "I thought this was an audiophile forum" as soon as computers are mentioned. All very silly!

The only "pressure" I feel is if I act quick I may get some original ADM9s at a 20% discount. I did want a bit more time to evaluate all the options ideally...may have to make a snap decision!

Regards

Phil

Phil,

Good luck and I have to disagree with Ashley about his opinion on vinyl as it is still my preferred medium, but I think the music server idea is moving in the right direction, and hopefully more and more places will be offering high rez downloads.

Hi Phil,

The CD player was/is Rotel too, for which I paid £380. In my opinion it is outperformed.

I wouldn't say the mac-dac is much clearer, they're actually both similar in this respect, but the mac-dac combo is far easier on the ear. I listen to a lot of electronic music, all of which grew tiresome on the Rotel CD player which was too upfront and very digital sounding (bright).

The soundstage is better too. Whereas in the past I'd find myself trying to "listen away from the speakers" I now find voices and instruments are placed where they should be. But the best part of the soundstage has to the fact it appears wider - on some occassions sounds appear on my left or right.

Add ease of use and you can't go wrong.

Matt,

Interesting - so the Mac (with external DAC) is smoother. I too find CD occasionally to harsh or bright. You reckon a Mac as a source is smoother? Other people have said this too - Macs are smoother, less obviously digital, more natural - do you find this?

Thanks again

Phil

I'll jump in here to offer my opinion on this one as well :-)

Considering all the variables in different systems I think it is too hard to say that Macs in general are smoother.

You can get pretty close to an apples to apples comparison by using a Mac and a separate CD transport both going into the same DAC and on to the rest of your system. Plus, listening to them both over an extended period of time so you are very familiar with how both sound.

I'm not suggesting anyone is jumping to this conclusion, but often people will replace their CD player with a new DAC and Mac. Then suggest the difference is solely because of the Mac or the DAC.

Anyway, I just don't want us to start offering misleading information that someone unfamiliar with the situation could use to make a bad purchasing decision :-)

On with the conversation ...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

I meant the MAC/DAC combo is smooth when compared to my Rotel CD player - which has a clear but harsh(ish) sound to it. Since they're sitting next to each other I've been able to perform a direct comparison.

CD is often thought of as sounding quite harsh, depending how much you're spending and the equipment that you use. I've always found vinyl to be a far more enjoyable listen.

I wonder what the bit perfect files on the MAC would sound like through the DAC in my Rotel ?

Matt.

This is an age old debate and I agree vinyl does sound smoother on the whole, but even though I had (just sold them) a Linn Sondek and Audiolab phono pre-amp, I always found vinyl a fussy medium (although I love to see a LP going round). My cartridge for the Linn cost £700 alone and the Linn dealers recommended servicing each year at £200 a time! That is why I am so interested in getting as best digital replay as I can. I have had pretty good playback from CD, but am intrigued with the idea of potentially even better playback from a Mac! I also love the idea of ripping all my CDs and then having random playbacks, etc - discovering things I never knew I had etc.

Matt - thanks for all your help.

I agree Chris there is no "right" answer, this is better than that, etc.

I am on a mission - who knows where it will end? I am going to hear a demo of some ADM9s on Tuesday, but I agree with an earlier comment by Chris - the lack of flexibility of these concerns me a bit - I would like to buy Mac and experiment with DACs etc ideally. But if the ADM9s knock me out, then I may be tempted....

Phil