IGNORED

Weiss DAC2 sampling rate switching delay

I have been so happy with using my Weiss DAC2 with the Macbook Pro connected vis Firewire that I rarely ever used it with a old fashioned disc player.

Today I brought home a Cambridge 650BD universal player which is very nice for the money, loads much much faster than tan the older PS3 with ability to play my DVD-Audio discs as well.

I connected it up to my Weiss DAC2 via SPDIF coaxial. And I notice that the DAC2 clicks and switch to the the appropriate at the beginning of every song. The click is only a minor annoyance, but the problem is that it takes half a second before the audio starts and by that time the song has already started. This means every beginning of a song is cut off in the beginning.

This must have happened to other DAC2/Minerva users. Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

you contacted Weiss about this question? You can contact them through their website, often Daniel Weiss will answer questions himself, but I suspect he is a little busy with CES happening right now.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Actually I did get a very fast response from Kent Poon who distributes Weiss in Hong Kong. His response is as follow:

-----

Greeting from Las Vegas,

First of all, this is exactly where I have mentioned on the cons and pros in each dejittering approach (regardless Weiss or other DAC in the market).

The Medea should take even longer time to lock the sampling rates compare to the DAC2/Minerva. This is not a problem when the player (CD, DVD, BD) keeps sending the clock locking signal to the DAC.

This means the Cambridge Audio DB player resync the clock signal output every song. This should be changed and upgraded by firmware.

I may have chance to meet with Cambridge team in next few days and I will raise this situation. Thanks for let me know.

The longer locking time ensure the buffer (not computer buffer) to work in dejittering from very lower freq. which is a good sign.

Another dejittering approach uses upsampling and re-clock the incoming signal, this way is always faster in reclocking, however it adds another stage of processing to the signal.

There are cases in the past that CD transport resync every song which provides this annoying situation. Very rare on CD transport but more usual on BD and DVD player which supports mixed sampling rates.

Bests,

Kent

-----

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]