IGNORED

Any Audiophile grade Streamers in the market which outputs beyond 24/96 via Digital please?

kyoto

I am currently using Apple TV to the BAD DAC, but restricted to down-conversion by Apple to 16/44.1. Even the Logitech Transportor, which is suppose to be quite good, is also restricted to 24/96. Then how could we fully realized the benefit of hi-res without using the CAS route?

ATV, MBL 1531 CDP, ARC Ref3 Pre amp, MBL 8011M Pwr amp, Verity Audio Fidelio Encore Spkers, Pure Not & AQ wiring.

The 2 lower end Linn DS models (Sneaky and Magik) both output 24/192 via SPDIF.

Of course, you could consider a headless MacMini with a INT202 as being just as convinient as a Linn DS streamer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

One thing I don't like about the Linn models is that, I am paying for the internal DAC as well, and that it doesn't have AES output to external DACs. Comparably, I think both the ATV and Transporter are easier to use than the Linn DS.

What is INT202 please?

ATV, MBL 1531 CDP, ARC Ref3 Pre amp, MBL 8011M Pwr amp, Verity Audio Fidelio Encore Spkers, Pure Not & AQ wiring.

The INT202 is a new Weiss interface that converts FireWire to AES and SPDIF.

The DAC on the Sneaky and Magik DS players are not overly high end - probably not much better than the one in a Transporter and cost is similar (at least in UK). I've never actually compared usability in anger of the 3 systems - though the ATV is certainly simple.

If you have some computer skills, you could also consider looking at using Linux with MPd and possibly the ESI Juli@ card.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

That's exactly what I mean. I don't wanna be paying premium for those internal DACs that are not top quality. I rather stick with my external BAD DAC instead. What I am waiting for is a simple streamer (like that of ATV or Transporter), which has audiophile grade instruments but are able to output 24/192 on the digital output. I wonder if this year's CES would have something that matches my needs (and many others from my chat to them)

Sorry if I'm missing your point ... but you keep mentioning the Transporter which has a high quality DAC built in, but not a patch on your BADA ... how is this different (except AES vs SPDIF with may or maynot be benefit) when used with external DAC compared with using a Linn Sneaky DS?

Eloise

Eloise

---

The point is simple my friend.

I am looking for a streamer which performs a transport role only. Quality components inside, and easy to use without the need to setup a CAS layout. The digital output can go out to 24/192 or beyond. Is there such a product on the market at the moment please?

I don't think there is such an item available, I have an ATV, and yes it's not exactly in the realm of Audiophile Nirvana, but I think all other options (unless I'm mistaken) are either a Transport-DAC combo (Linn DS style) feeding from a NAS, or personal computer (with operating system of choice) either networked to a NAS, or files stored internally.

Btw - I wouldn't say the Linn DS is of lower quality, however I have been told by my Linn dealer that Ayre or Wavelength are doing amazing things right now.

Michael J. Howell[br]Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme Base Station, AppleTV, Majik, Numerik, Katans. Linn Silver and Audioquest 3 Toslink, AQ - Indigo (bi-wire), Mapleshade Bedrocks (yes these actually work).

I think that's the point I'm trying to make here. Until that product comes into market, there's a reluctance for me to spend 10 x the money of the ATV on a transporter. I might still dive into the TP route if that "product" doesn't emerge soon enough though.

ATV has made the experience very easy, I am looking into the Linn DS line myself, but even though quite savvy with computers, networks etc... am not looking forward to have to fight my front end a little to get the sound I need. Linns' DS line isn't very user friendly, Have you looked into NAIM Uniti? I have heard the DAC is really impressive.

May I ask what "TP" is?

Michael J. Howell[br]Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme Base Station, AppleTV, Majik, Numerik, Katans. Linn Silver and Audioquest 3 Toslink, AQ - Indigo (bi-wire), Mapleshade Bedrocks (yes these actually work).

The Auraliti Player (not released yet) or a networked-media-tank (NMT) might serve your needs.

The NMT is quite a geeky device, and certainly not dedicated for audio playback, but it does output up to 24 bits / 192kHz via S/PDIF (co-axial and optical). Interface is clunky. The NMT has an internal disk and all the music is stored on it. While the NMT is designed to be connected to the internet, I am using it at the moment without any network connection.

Auraliti does look very promising, it is currently under development, I think very close to being released. A network connection will be needed to control the device.

I am of course not affiliated with the manufacturers of either of the above. Just pointing out some possibilities.

Paul MacGowan and PS Audio will be showing their Perfect Wave DAC and Bridge at CES. The PWD has gotten rave reviews used in conjunction with the PW Transoport and the Bridge adds network streaming capability. Not sure what the S/PDIF output capabilities of the PWD might be, but I'm almost certain that the PWD/Bridge combo will be making some great sounds at CES. The controller is an iPhone app.

http://www.jfdigital.com/en/DT_UploadFile/20091027204254458.jpg

The Digital Stream Master Music Playing Center HD MASTER-01 adopts the specialized 32-bit high-performance embedded multi-media processor CPU, multimedia DSP chip solution and the reference clock system of the industrial-class digital phase-locked loop (DPLL) system, effectively reducing clock jitter in transmission of digital audio signals so as to achieve an ultra-low Jitter index. In addition, after special optimization, the audio coding and decoding software can process 24Bit/192KHz high bit rate digital master tape audio stream at a high speed and support the decoding output of all kinds of digital audio formats (WAV//WMA/ APE/FLAC/ALAC/ACC). In the future, through firmware upgrading, the device can support more audio formats.

The audio D/A decoding processing part adopts the flagship-level WM8741 decoding chip with digital filter from Wolfson of the UK. Known as a D/A chip with the best hearing impression, this chip can produce “simulated feel” sounds more natural than those produced with traditional digital simulated converters. What’s more, the reference circuit has been specially optimized and calibrated by engineers from the plant of Wolfson, as well as passing the factory test made by Wolfson, so that it can provide a SNR of 128dB (monophony), which guarantees a high quality of digital audio replaying. Besides, for the reason that a CPU is applied to control the WM8741 D/A decoding chip, this device can also be used as a high-performance independent D/A converter (24Bit/192KHz).

This device can be used as a network music server center. With the built-in 500GB SATA hard disk, it has strong network capabilities, can support network hard disc NAS and can share network resources through WI-FI/LAN. Besides, it can also be used as an Internet radio. With the built-in channel list, it can receive signals from over ten thousand digital Internet radio stations all over the world.

As a network music server center, WI-FI/LAN also has a very simple network system setting. For users without any experience in network technology, the system can be connected to the network automatically under default status without any further setting; while experienced users are allowed to change such setting manually.

Audio Technical Features:

Supporting the playing and decoding of all kinds of main stream digital audio formats, including WAV, WMA, APE and FLAC etc.;

Suppting the playing of high bit rate digital audio format (such as 24B/192K) and studio master tape format;

Supporting the playing of audio formats, including APE and FLAC, and CUE relevant files;

Flagship-level WM8741 D/A decoding chip with digital filter from Wolfson of the UK (passing the factory test made by Wolfson);

Supporting 2-way S/P DIF digital audio input port and can be used as an independent decoder (supporting 24bit/192kHz format);

Supporting S/P DIF signal input digital recording function. The sound can be recorded as CD tracks or other S/P DIF signals and saved as 24bit/96KHz WAV files in the built-in hard disc;

Supporting RCA and XLR analog audio output and digital volume control functions;

Industrial digital phase-locked loop (DPLL) system reference clock system, effectively reducing clock jitter in transmission of digital audio signals with an ultra-low Jitter index ?10PS;

High-performance linear power supply system with independent power supplies for digital/analog parts. Precise linear secondary stable-voltage power supply is adopted for the digital part while Class A high-speed active parallel servo power supply is adopted for the analog part, so as to achieve an ultra-low internal resistance of the power source;

Adopting Hi-END Hi-Fi parts such as all-solid-state Low ESR capacitor;

S/P DIF digital audio output port (for digital CD output)

Supporting IPOD digital input port (optional);

Network Technical Features:

Supporting cable network: Ethernet cable network 10/100Mbps, RJ-45 interface;

Supporting wireless network: IEEE 802.11 b/g/h with a maximum transmission speed of 150Mbps;

Antenna: removable 2.5dBi external omni antenna;

RF working frequency/ output power: 2.4G/17dBm (max.);

Supporting TCP/IP, UPnP, UDP, RTSP, DHCP, PPPoE and HTTP network protocols and realizing resource sharing between network hard disc NAS and PC;

Supporting MMS, RTSP and HTTP stream media protocols;

The Internet radio supports over ten thousand radio channels all over the world and can receive signals from Internet broadcasting stations at any place of the world;

Auto-configuration for most networks?

Easy setup for wireless networks?

Built-in SATA hard disc with a maximum space of 500GB;

Supporting 2-way USB2.0 HOST port and external big-capacity mobile hard disk;

MMC/SDHC socket, supporting SDHC card with a storage space of 32GB;

4.3 inch TFT true-color touch screen operation;

High-grade IR remote-control operation;

USB port software updating;