IGNORED

Sonicweld Diverter Review

Scot,

Sorry, I started ranting again and got off topic. I have only limited experience with class D amps. I like them (I'm speaking in generalities only here) more to drive subs than full range speakers. I think the Maggies are the most revealing speakers I have heard. They will tell you EVERYTHING about your recordings and amplification. The class D amps I have heard are just not as musical as class A/B or A. Having said that, I have not heard the Bel Canto or Wired for sound.

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

I had a Wyred4Sound with Maggie like planars. Bought it because of the value for money - lots of power for under $2K. I did not like it at all. Way too analytical. Not musical. I would look elsewhere if you get Maggies and your room/speakers/acoustics are optimal. You'll hear everything which is great but it makes component matching synergy all the more important.

Dedicated 240V balanced power, Torus RM20-BAL. Mac Mini/Ayre QB-9. LSA Group Signature integrated. Eminent Tech LFT8B speakers. Real Trap and GIK bass traps.

• 9 months later...

What is the best cable to use between the Sonicweld Diverter and the DAC. I the been using the Harmonic Tech photon RCA digital cable. It actually sounds much better than the Tara labs zero digital RCA cable. But would it be better to use a BNC cable?

Moreover, any one compared the Sonicweld diverter with the wavelength wavelink?

Music after life

"Moreover, any one compared the Sonicweld diverter with the wavelength wavelink?"

In my system the Wavelink is clearly better than the Diverter (more real resolution, less veiled, better low level detail retrieval). My understanding is that Josh Heiner (Diverter designer/builder) is developing an Asynchronous, 24/192 capable version of The Diverter-I suspect that this new Diverter will be closer in performance to the Wavelink, we shall see when it becomes available.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

In all fairness Barrows, you had the Diverter many moons ago, so it was not a direct comparison. Auditory memory, and all that bugaboo, to contend with over a six month period makes comparisons with long periods of time in between, tough, to say the least. Although, if you do prefer the Wavelink to the outdated 24/96 Diverter (and I do respect your ears and ability to listen critically), it's all good to me, the more products out there that embrace USB as the high resolution playback format it can be, the better!

To add to that, I have no doubt that the Wavelink is a great product, I have a great deal of respect for Gordon and his work.

Socrates--Indeed, Barrows is correct, the "Diverter 192" is very close to completion, in fact. we had a mock up at RMAF. It will be an async device and will handle any format up to 24/192. We hope to have it available by the end of the year, if not sooner.

In any event, there are some exciting developments in the USB audio world happening right now, it's a great time to be involved in audio. We are truly at a turning point in out industry.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Thanks for chiming in!

I have a question as to old Mac support. I know a lot of manufacturers are moving down the async Class 2 USB road to support 24/192 using "stock" Apple USB drivers. Will you all be doing this as well? I ask because my old PowerMac G5 does not support 10.6 -- support topped out on that platform at 10.5.

Just curious!

You are welcome. I make it over here once in a while, and am happy to answer any questions.

I'll have Josh chime in as to what will be required from the Mac. It may take him a while to respond, depending on his workload.

I know on all my Mac's, it comes right up and the OS drivers allow output of full 24/192, or even higher. But, all my Mac's have Snow Leopard--maybe I'll have to try it with an old iMac I have laying around.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Good to hear that the new Diverter is nearing completion. In regards to my "comparison", you are entirely correct-I did not make a direct comparison between the Diverter and the Wavelink. But I did use my bel-canto CD-1 (as transport) as a benchmark for my evaluation of both the Diverter and the Wavelink, so my comparison was based on the difference between the bel canto vs Diverter, and the Wavelink vs bel canto. I am confident that if I had the Diverter here now, the results of a direct comparison would be as I have stated above-as the bel canto remained consistent (as well as the cabling, USB and SPDIF, as I used both the Axis and Starlight cables in listening to the Diverter) through my listening. Interesting aside re the Wavelink, it made a nice jump in performance by paying attention to vibration control (footers, and damping the pcb internally), I suspect the case design of the Diverter makes such efforts unneccessary; it is hard to imagine any resonances effecting the pcb in it!

Like I said, the new Diverter will be a whole new ballgame though.

Sorry I did not see you at RMAF, I had you on my list to come and say hi, but somehow I never made it. I hope you had a good show.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio