IGNORED

Linn vs Stravinsky

I recently downloaded the Linn Records Studio Master 192 recording of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe's Stravinsky Apollon musagète & Pulcinella Suite, and all I can say is "wow!" This is without a doubt one of the best experiences I have ever had with my system. Not only is it an impeccably recorded orchestral performance, but the 192kHz resolution delivers superb realism and detail. Those Linn engineers certainly know what they're doing. All too often I'm disappointed with how orchestras are recorded -- half-way back in the hall. Not here. The nuances are clear and the experience is absolutely front-row. (I guess my rock roots are showing.)

I also picked up Maximiliano Martin's "Vibraciones del Alma" which is another beautifully recorded work. I never thought I'd find myself playing a clarinet recital on repeat.

"I also picked up Maximiliano Martin's "Vibraciones del Alma" which is another beautifully recorded work. I never thought I'd find myself playing a clarinet recital on repeat."

Thanks, I'll check it out. There is not enough recordings featuring clarinet. At least in my library.

James[br]

The 2L label offers several free hi-res downloads at:

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

The free download of Beethoven's op. 111, 1st movement, is superb. The interpretation takes unusual liberties, but I find it emotionally expressive and natural, not at all contrived. The recording is stunning, with extraordinarily deep and solid bass. However, the recorded sound is not like any concert I've attended: the bass is emphasized much more than the treble, as if the microphone were an inch from the bass strings of the piano.

Too bad 2L only offers two options for buying the 2nd movement: You can buy individual tracks only in 320 kbs MP3 format. To get hi-res, you must buy the entire album, which includes Schoenberg, Webern & Berg, which I'm not keen on. (Actually, the Berg op. 1 is rather pretty for an atonal piece, but still not my cup of tea. I have it by Glenn Gould.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7