IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

• 4 months later...

After nearly a year of designing, constructing and finishing, I'm finally listening! Thankfully I like what I'm hearing.

As my first post on CA I thought I share what I'm listening to. It's a computer based ( Mac Mini/BitPerfect)DIY system built around The ScanSpeak Illuminator series mid and tweet and their Revelator sub.

The system is fully active with a DEQX as the pre/processor and 300w x 10 channels (into 4ohms)f Denon amp.

Bass cabinets are sealed and constructed of plain old MDF with a matrix type bracing system and 2.25" thick walls. The mid/tweet are also sealed, constructed of a MDF/fiber cement/MDF sandwich for for the tops and bottoms, and a MDF/sand/MDF side walls. Heavy yes, but very dead.

Initial sounds are excellent, but with the tremendous power of the DEQX, infinite crossover and EQ options, the fun is just beginning.

ScanSpeak.jpg

Mac Mini -> USB -> DEQX Express (fully active 3 way) -> 10 Channel 3000 watt Denon POA -> DIY Scan Speaks

Hi All,

I have a Smyth Realizer-based system. I used to have a normal audiophile rig(s), but I found I was spending more time at my computer than in front of my stereo... and something had to change. I am doing what I can to make the best desktop set up possible.

Of note: I am using the HeadAmp KGSS headphone amplifier. It is a great amp, packed into one of the worst chassis I have ever seen--if you rap on it it rings like a bell. Seriously, I've seen plastic computer cases that were better constructed. Anyway, I spend a great deal of time (and money) recently seeing what could be done about un-screwing the chassis. I ended up with several sheets of Dynamat on the inside, a HRS dampening plate on top and Black Ravioli footers underneath. The results of the tweeking were... transformative! I had not anticipated that such an improvement was possible. The Black Ravioli footers are the best performers but, dollar for dollar, $10 of Dynamat went a very long way.

Improving power delivery comes next.

004.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

Roon --> ultraRendu/Uptone LPS-1 --> Kii CONTROL --> Kii THREE active speakers (everything on Black Ravioli bases and footers)

stereosetup.jpg

stereosetup.jpg

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Not unlike Ryan's DIY effort in concept, here is my system. It is built around a pair of DIY TAD Professional series speakers. The top section: TL-1601c woofer, TD-4003 compression driver, TH-4003 cast resin clone, TN-4 crossover and ET-703 compression super tweeter with custom crossover. The bottom section (internally isolated): TL-1601b woofer. Cabinet construction is 3/4" birch plywood laminated to 3/4" MDF (with added plywood section for front baffle). Top section is powered by an Air Tight ATM-2 tube amplifier. Bottom section is powered by a Krell KSA 300s, run low pass using an electronic crossover at 50Hz.

Pre-amp is a Pass Labs XP-20. Phono preamp is a Pass Labs XP-15. Turntable is a VPI HRX with Shelter Harmony cartridge.

Mac Mini with 4Gb and 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD internal drive. Music is stored on a 480GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini Portable SSD external firewire drive. Audirvana Plus on top of iTunes. Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC. Sony PS3 for ripping SACDs.

The 60" Pioneer Elite plasma is covered up when listening to music. But for TV and movies, I power the top section of TADs with a Denon AVR 5308c receiver. Small ProAct tablets provide rear sound.

As I am a tinkerer, all is subject to change.

System 1.jpg

System 2.jpg

System 3.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Hello, I am new to Computer media and this site. I started last night by trying to use an ATOM based laptop and JRivers, the sound was acceptable but not as good as going from my Denon BD1611 to W4S DAC2, just seemed like a thin sheet was over the speakers. Tonight I am going to try using my Macbook Pro with Pure Music (Using AIFF Files). Might try upgrading from the cheap USB cable that I am using. Anyway my system consists of:

Salk HT2TL with external marchand passive crossover

JL Fathom F113

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2

Rotel 1562 Amp-- Ordered an AVA Fet Valve 400R

Denon BD1611

Rotel RC1040 Power Conditioner & SurgeX SA20 for F113

Macbook Pro 2011

Panasonic 58" Plasma

Various ATS Panels

Audioquest and Emotiva wires

Hifiroom01small.jpg

hifiroom03.jpg

Hifiroom01.jpg

Digital Source : DCS Vivaldi 4 stack + Antelope 10M Reference clock. (APEX in progress)

Analog Source : AVID ACUTUS SP + FR64S + Koetsu Blue Azule + ARC Ref 10 phono

Analog Source : TECHDAS AF3 + FR66S + Koetsu Blue Lace, Groove Master III + Phasemation PP2000, Glanz 10" + DS Audio Grandmaster

Phono : ARC ref 10 + DS Audio Master 1

Amp : Naim Statement

Speakers : Focal Stella Utopia

photo.JPG

dCS Paganini transport, DAC and Upsampler

dCs Puccini master clock

Halcro pre amp and monoblocks

B&W 801 diamonds

Mac Mini

dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Master Clock

D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks

Magico S1 Mk2 speakers

Mac Mini running Audirvana

Transparent Opus Gen 5 Speaker Cables

Transparent Ref XL Interconnects

Shunyata and Furutech power cords

Wow what a neat room Joel.

hifiroom02.jpg

Thanks Chris. Moved into new premises end of 2010. Decided to do up a room to accommodate my vice. Took me more than a year to get things working nicely.

Purchased the Aurender a few months prior to your review. Righteous equipment. One big plus for me is that it does Mandarin whereas quite a few other devices do not.

Cincy2, please tell me that the Puccini clock makes a big difference as I am going to fly to the dealer tomorrow to pick one up. I am quite enamoured to my Debussy after having it for a couple of months.

Regards,

Joe Ling

Digital Source : DCS Vivaldi 4 stack + Antelope 10M Reference clock. (APEX in progress)

Analog Source : TECHDAS AF3 + FR66S + Koetsu Blue Lace, Groove Master III + Phasemation PP2000, Glanz 10" + DS Audio Grandmaster

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advance info. I did ask my dealer for my region whether anything else in the works a couple of months back & he told me nothing coming in the next 6 months. Gotta grill him for more info then.

Hi Joe - You may want to check out the Aurender W10 when it's released. It has word clock input and supports dual wire AES. Perfect for your Debussy and forthcoming Puccini U-Clock.

Regards,

Joe Ling

[ATTACH=CONFIG]720[/ATTACH]

Cincy2, please tell me that the Puccini clock makes a big difference as I am going to fly to the dealer tomorrow to pick one up. I am quite enamoured to my Debussy after having it for a couple of months.

Regards,

Joe Ling

Joe,

Yes. Crisper images and bigger soundstage. Make sure to use the dither feature.

Cincy

dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Master Clock

D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks

Magico S1 Mk2 speakers

Mac Mini running Audirvana

Transparent Opus Gen 5 Speaker Cables

Transparent Ref XL Interconnects

Shunyata and Furutech power cords

• 3 weeks later...

My modest bedside setup:

gear.jpg

iPad (model 3) -- USB via CCK --> Schitt Bifrost <-- Audioquest Ruby interconencts--> Schitt Asgard Headamp --> Sennhesier HD 600s

iPad for when I cannot be bothered dragging out my Macbookpro -- as it also gets used at work.

Music server to the right (wireless connectivity) - off screen. Find now with a new baby daughter, am using the headphones more and more.

The Schitt Bifrost has been known to "migrate" to the lounge room and be used with either macbookpro / iPad in conjunction with B&W MM-1s.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

PICT0011.jpgHi Everyone. There are some very nice systems here, I love looking at them. I finally finished with my stereo system, it has taken me a long time but I feel it was worth the wait. I am still not completely finished as I need to decide which music server I am going to use. I have 2 server/systems that I go back and forth listening to. I am buying a new flatscreen TV this fall and will hopefully have decided by then which system I will go with and set that one up. I have my music on several 32 gig. flashdrives (I don't have a lot of music at this time) and have the flashdrives hooked into a Western Digital live TV for one of my servers. I have the WD hooked into my TV for the screen with my music choices, this is a very simple, inexpensive, convenient setup and I really like listening this way. The other way I listen is to hook my dac directly to my computer. When I listen with the WD, I have it hooked up with a glass toslink cable and it sounds very nice. When I listen with my computer, I have the dac hooked up with a High Diamond USB digital cable directly into my USB. This company is fairly new in the states, they are based out of Italy. The cable is very nice, great detail, warmth, just what I like. So I go back and forth and have finally decided that the dac hooked up directly to the computer sounds a little better, but the WD is very convenient. So hopefully, I will have made my decision by this fall when I get the TV.

dac: Wadia 121 amps/preamp: Von Gaylord speakers: Dahlquist 20i Gateway NV53 internconnects: Von Gaylord speaker cables: Transparent plus digital cable: High Diamond

Here is mine with new Thiel CS 3.7 and the old bookshelfs on the side.

DSC_6383.JPG

DSC_6383.JPG

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Very nice Matias! Looks very similar to my set-up; similar decor, size, positions, and 2 channel combined with video (plasma on the wall).

Question: Are you bothered by the rake (back-tilt) of the speaker combined with the near-field position? My speakers (SF Cremona) lean back like that, (and are tall) and I've always felt like the tweeter is firing over my head when seated (of course, worse when lying down).

Thanks. Actually they are quite new so I'm still testing toe in and speaker position, it is also breaking in too so I don't have a veredict right now. But in the end if the system sounds good with the tweeter pointing up and away, it would not bother me.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Thanks. Actually they are quite new so I'm still testing toe in and speaker position, it is also breaking in too so I don't have a veredict right now. But in the end if the system sounds good with the tweeter pointing up and away, it would not bother me.

I suppose it must not be bothering me too much either, I still haven't gotten rid of them. Thanks for the reply, and good luck with the break-in.