IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Chris,

You may be interested in this fairly recent review of the XA160.2. The review is fairly detail with good info. Link to PDF provided below….

PassXA160.5 Monos Review

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

• 1 month later...

With the experimental and in development Voyage/mpd server (thanks Jesus!) and constantly evolving DAC.

audiosys.jpg

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Do you have the Klaatu album 3:47 E.S.T.? I just recorded it yesterday, and your window covering is reminiscent of the front cover.

My new tagline:

I'm a little neutrino....just passing through.

iMac/Pure Music => USB => Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 => Van Alstine Ultra EC preamp + Ultra 550 amp => VMPS 626R + Adire sub

Very nice. barrows, what do you think if the Buffalo DAC?

Are you using a SOTM USB receiver inside the Buffalo?

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

can you comment on Voyage vs. Win 7/JRiver on the same hardware? Thanks. interesting stuff.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Love the Buffalo, mine is not exactly stock (see: first impressions...thread in the DACs forum for details) and has been in refinement for a couple of years now. I am using the SOtM async receiver internally with the Buffalo, and I have modded the oscillators on the SOtM.

Window covering is ghetto right now, that window faces SW, and loses a lot of heat (elevation 9,300'). I need to get a curtain made to cover the entire back wall really...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Here is my desk top system that I end up listening too most of the time. It's not much compared to the awesome systems above, but I think it sounds really good.

I'm using Win7 and J River to deliver FLAC files to my HRT Music Streamer II DAC via an AudioQuest Forest USB cable. The DAC is connected to a Virtue Audio One.2 amplifier. My speakers are DIY Martello's I built earlier this year. They use a single full range 3" Fountek driver. You can see the build thread here if interested. Speaker cables are also DIY using some Canare 4S11 Star Quad Speaker Cable. I have caught the DIY bug and have built 3 pair of speakers in the last year. Last, I have a Sunfire sub to fill in the lows.

Jeff

Main system: MPaD -> Fanless VortexBox -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Adcom GFA-555II -> Working on the rest

Desktop System: J.River Media Jukebox -> WIN7 -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Virtue Audio One.2 -> DIY Martello speakers

Sounds cool, have thought I might build one someday, probably need to get on the waiting list :)

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to computer audio, but have been involved in audio, music, and electronics most of my life. This looks to be a very good group, here, and I hope to contribute from time to time.

My system is kind of different from most I've seen here, as parts of it are either homemade (although I have seen some very nice DIY speakers in this list), or are "hot-rodded" tube components. Here are a few comments...

Computer Audio: This is what got me here. My brand new front end for this is a Rega DAC, and a Mac Mini running Pure Audio, connected by Toslink. I've only gotten a little true high rez music files so far, but I'm digging it.

SACD/CD: Cayin SCD-50T running from its tube output on Harmonic Technology cables.

Analog: Basis 2400 turntable, Graham 2.2 tonearm, Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum with Graham cable.

Preamp: MFA Magus with modifications by Scott Frankland and me. Cardas cables to the power amps.

Monoblocks: Heathkit WM-5 modded by going to silicon rectification, and a choke regulated power supply, running Mullard EL37 output tubes.

Speakers: DIY using Scanspeak 1845 7 inch drivers and Raven 2 ribbon tweeters. The crossover is 2nd order on the bottom and 4th order on the top, with impedance compensation on the low end. Speaker wire is Nordost flatwire.

Curt S.[br]Long time music lover - giving computer audio to my tubes a try.

As a fellow DIYer, nice kit!

May I ask why it is that you swapped the rectifier tube for silicon diodes?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

That was my friend, Scott Frankland's idea. He feels that modern rectification is able to provide more current and works better for the choke regulation. I'm not one to argue with him, as he is the designer of some very notable high end gear including the Wavestream V8 amps( he was also the "F" in MFA back in the90's). I can tell you that the pre and post mod numbers bore out about an additional 3 watts at the output after the mod. How much was the rectifier and how much was the change to choke regulation, I do not know.

Curt S.[br]Long time music lover - giving computer audio to my tubes a try.

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

Rotel fed by Apple TV2 both video and optical for sound. Nice for showing ITunes track info at a quick glance. The 1098 is just used as a DAC and Preamp with the Dalhquist DQ-LP1 doing the cross-over work for the DQ-10's. The ATV is connected via Ethernet to a PC in another room.

Rotel RB-991 (200 watts) feeds the DQ-10's and a Byston 6B

Feeds (800 watts)a McIntosh HT-2 sub pictured below.

DSC_0846.jpg

DQ-10's had to be rebuilt with new caps and wire.

DSC_0819.jpg

All gear purchased used and Rotel-1098 purchased with video out and volume broken.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

FrontWallFinal.jpg

RightWallFinal.jpg

BackWallFinal.jpg

LeftWallFinal.jpg

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

What's a Messerschmitt?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 3 weeks later...

Simple but effective system for desktop use - really impressed with PC audio so far! Very pleased with the Icon.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Nuforce as a pre-amp? I'm thinking of getting a power amp for not so near field listening. Cheers....

Lacie NAS > foobar2000 (ASIO4ALL) via Lenovo Netbook > Nuforce Icon (1st Gen) > Monopulse 32S (Half Height custom)