Show us your equipment / kit !

Digital Source: Auralic Altair and Synology NAS 30TB, wired gigabit ethernet

Video source: Panasonic DMP-UB900 and Oppo 105

TV: Samsung 65" 4K tv (non-HDR)

Preamp: Parasound JC2-BP with home theater bypass

Stereo power amp: Bel Canto Ref 1000 mono blocks

HT Receiver: Pioneer SC-2014

Front stereo speakers: Marten Django XL

Surround speakers: Swans 3.2 (Center channel and surround rears)

Balanced cabling Altair->Parasound->Bel Canto

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Silverline.jpg Silverline Sonatina / Acoustic Sciences Corporation

Moth s45.jpg Moth Audio s45 SET / Emission Labs

Shunyata Hydra.jpg Shunyata Research Hydra

Schiit Audio.jpg Schiit Modi Multibit / Chromecast Audio / Sys. Concepts / iFi

Elrod  Hydra.jpg David Elrod Signature / Virtual Dynamics Nite

pa audio.png PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

Tubes.jpg Vacuum Tubes

toolbox.jpg Audiophile Toolbox

Mullard GZ32.jpg Mullard gz32 [1957]

Silverline Sonatina < Moth Audio s45 SET < Shunyata Hydra < PS Audio UO < i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier < Schiit Modi Multibit < Chromecast Audio

Digital Source: Auralic Altair and Synology NAS 30TB, wired gigabit ethernet

Video source: Panasonic DMP-UB900 and Oppo 105

TV: Samsung 65" 4K tv (non-HDR)

Preamp: Parasound JC2-BP with home theater bypass

Stereo power amp: Bel Canto Ref 1000 mono blocks

HT Receiver: Pioneer SC-2014

Front stereo speakers: Marten Django XL

Surround speakers: Swans 3.2 (Center channel and surround rears)

Balanced cabling Altair->Parasound->Bel Canto

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32038[/ATTACH]

Love the Marten Django XL speakers!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32051[/ATTACH] Silverline Sonatina / Acoustic Sciences Corporation

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32052[/ATTACH] Moth Audio s45 SET / Emission Labs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32053[/ATTACH] Shunyata Research Hydra

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32054[/ATTACH] Schiit Modi Multibit / Chromecast Audio / Sys. Concepts / iFi

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32055[/ATTACH] David Elrod Signature / Virtual Dynamics Nite

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32056[/ATTACH] PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32057[/ATTACH] Vacuum Tubes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32058[/ATTACH] Audiophile Toolbox

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32059[/ATTACH] Mullard gz32 [1957]

Wonderful system. Those Silverlines are old favorites, and we've already discussed our love of Craig's Moth products. And my compliments on the Emission Labs tubes, most impressive. How well does the s45 SET drive the Sonatina's?

JC

There is a shop in Amsterdam who had a pair of Django XL's on sale a while back. Still sad that I didn't have the cash. Would have loved to have listened to them.

I think the actual shop was in Belgium but the pair were advertised on a Dutch website. That is the pair I got.

There is a shop in Amsterdam who had a pair of Django XL's on sale a while back. Still sad that I didn't have the cash. Would have loved to have listened to them.

Since I live close to Marten HQ in Gothenburg, Sweden, I listen to their big systems from time to time. Let me tell you, the Coltrane Supreme 2 is absolutely stunning coupled with a MSB Platinum DAC and Analog Devices amps. Like a live performance!

I think the actual shop was in Belgium but the pair were advertised on a Dutch website. That is the pair I got.

That is a different pair then. I know for certain A10 audio in Amsterdam had a pair on sale for a while. I'm not sure what is happening with the brand. I hardly ever see them at shops anymore and many shops seem to be selling them for more or less dump prices. The retail of the Django XL was 11k? I have seen new on offer of a little over 6k new, or shop demo speakers.

[br]

The shop where I bought the Django XL also has a pair of Coltranes for sale for less than half the original price. They were installed exactly one day at a wealthy customer, when they failed to pass the WAF test and he had to return them in order to keep his better half happy. They are in 100% new condition and not even broken in. Still outside my budget at 40% of retail unfortunately :)

Some changes since my last post...

dscn4715.jpg

dscn4716.jpg

dscn4717.jpg

The speakers are now JBL M2 and the room received a laminate flooring ...

Udayan

Hi Udayan,

First of all, a very nice set up. I wanted to ask you the reason for your shift from Genelec 8260 to JBL M2. How is M2 compared to 8260? What is the approximate % in sound improvement?

I am currently planning to transition from 4 * Yamaha NS777 (passive speakers) to a Genelec surround (2 * 8260 + 1 * 8351 or 3 * 8351 for fronts and 8330 for rears). I am hearing from many that Genelec 8260/8351 will anyday beat B&W 800 Series or other speakers costing several thousands of euros. Currently I have a very warm room (hard floors, huge glass windows) with no treatment except for curtains (which has reduced the echo a lot). Because of my poor room acoustics and distortion issues with my yamaha set up, I get ear stuffiness/tiredness. Therefore I am planning to go fully active. I am seriously considering Genelec because of good constant directivity.

I have basically gone through each and every speaker recommended by Mr. Linkwitz (linkwitz.com). From price performance and WAF, the genelecs suit me the best. I also liked Neumann KH310 but Genelec 8351 beat 310 with more details and musicality. I was also considering JBL 708i (the smaller brother of M2). But then I need external amps and BSS sound (for room correction) and additionally the JBL 708 has a low WAF compared to Genelec.

Since you have been a previous owner of Genelec 8260, what is your impression? What other speakers you were considering before Genelec 8260 and M2? Have you heard Genelec 8351? For me M2 will be very expensive and huge. Appreciate your suggestions and help!

Ram

Hello Ragera,

Quite a lot of questions in your post!

Basically 3 reasons for change :

- The M2 with its 38 cm woofer and double diaphram compression driver was a dream for me.

- I had the opportunity to make a bargain on the M2 and Crown amplifier.

- My listening distance being 4 meters I had to push the 8260 quite hard when listening loud.

As for the comparison between the 8260 and the M2, I made it after room correction for both the Genelec and the JBL.

In my room, both speakers are true full range with a bass extension down to 20 Hz at 0 dB.

Soundstages, as well as global musicality were very close as long as the listening level is normal to high, but if you push the volume a little bit more, the M2 SPL capabilities allow them to remain very clear and effortless while the 8260 were reaching their limits.

Nevertheless you have to keep in mind the fact that my system is stereo only and my listening position rather away.

If you do not need the extra power of the M2, the differences are small. This is logical for 2 systems with very good directivity and frequency response patterns. In that case, my feeling is that the JBL is a little better in the upper bass and medium regions but in term of percentage it is definitely less than 10%.

To conclude the 8260, is an awesome transducer.

For your planned set-up, as it is recommended for best results to have the same speaker for L/C/R, 8260 will be more difficult to integrate than 8351.

I never listen to the 8351 but it should not be very different from the 8260, it is less expensive and can be put vertically or horizontally (vertical position only for the 8260). In addition, 8351 has more equalization filters than 8260.

For a stereo set-up I would probably go with the 8260 in order to Have a 10 inch bass driver.

For a 5.0 system I would go with 3 x 8351 for L/C/R 2 x 8330 for surround speakers. The GLM software and calibration microphone will help you to implement appropriate room equalization and delays.

I haven't listen to the other products you mentioned.

Udayan

Hello Ragera,

Quite a lot of questions in your post!

Basically 3 reasons for change :

- The M2 with its 38 cm woofer and double diaphram compression driver was a dream for me.

- I had the opportunity to make a bargain on the M2 and Crown amplifier.

- My listening distance being 4 meters I had to push the 8260 quite hard when listening loud.

As for the comparison between the 8260 and the M2, I made it after room correction for both the Genelec and the JBL.

In my room, both speakers are true full range with a bass extension down to 20 Hz at 0 dB.

Soundstages, as well as global musicality were very close as long as the listening level is normal to high, but if you push the volume a little bit more, the M2 SPL capabilities allow them to remain very clear and effortless while the 8260 were reaching their limits.

Nevertheless you have to keep in mind the fact that my system is stereo only and my listening position rather away.

If you do not need the extra power of the M2, the differences are small. This is logical for 2 systems with very good directivity and frequency response patterns. In that case, my feeling is that the JBL is a little better in the upper bass and medium regions but in term of percentage it is definitely less than 10%.

To conclude the 8260, is an awesome transducer.

For your planned set-up, as it is recommended for best results to have the same speaker for L/C/R, 8260 will be more difficult to integrate than 8351.

I never listen to the 8351 but it should not be very different from the 8260, it is less expensive and can be put vertically or horizontally (vertical position only for the 8260). In addition, 8351 has more equalization filters than 8260.

For a stereo set-up I would probably go with the 8260 in order to Have a 10 inch bass driver.

For a 5.0 system I would go with 3 x 8351 for L/C/R 2 x 8330 for surround speakers. The GLM software and calibration microphone will help you to implement appropriate room equalization and delays.

I haven't listen to the other products you mentioned.

Udayan

Hi Udayan,

Thank you very much for answering all my questions. Please find my other post in the Genelec forum Genelec Community Forum • View topic - Speaker Suggestions for Living Room.

I have a listening distance of 4 meters. My listening area is 20 m2 whereas the whole living room is 40 m2. I watch Netflix and use Panasonic blu ray player for serials/movies in 5.2 and use Youtube music videos/mp3/Tidal for music in 2.0 stereo. My current Yammies AVR and speaker cause me right ear tiredness. Is it the room acoustics (due to a large glass window) or a bad room correction of mid level Yamaha AVR RX-V775 - I have no clue. After having curtains and sitting on the left side of the couch, the ear stuffiness/tiredness is not there but returns when I sit on the right side and increase the volume (only in 2.0 channel stereo). Thats one of the main reason to shift to monitors to have clean audio with great room correction. Apart from the curtains, I cant add any carpets or absorbers due to WAF. So I have to accept and live with it. The genelecs it seems are great speakers even for such badly treated rooms. Ofcourse, with better treatment, they are great.

I do not listen at loud volumes. My listening levels are 70-75 db. Do you think 8351 or 8260 will do its job at 4 meters distance? One more issue I have is that I want to retain the 2 * SVS subwoofers (model SB 1000) due to putting all the investment on speakers. I can retain them if I go for 8260 (getting a very good offer). There is a recommendation to use genelec subs like 7360 0r 7370 with 8351 which is additional cost. One dealer says 2* 8260 is for movies with 8351 center (even without subs) due to its low freq extension and if one listens to more music then it is 3 time 8351 with 7370 or 7360 subs. Retaining SVS for 8260 is only to cover LFE.

So this will be a long term investment, I have to decide carefully. So there is a confusion 8260 or 8351. I have listened to 8351 and I loved them.

BTW, what are the other passives/actives that you have listened to before you owned 8260 and M2? This will help me to rate 8260 against other passives.

Thanks again and have a nice evening!

Ram

Hello Ram,

Maybe, I am not the best person for home theater set up advices. My knowledge is theoretical from what I read.

I would like nevertheless to underline some points.

The most important information you mentioned in your post is that you are listening at an average volume of 70 to 75 dB.

In that case there is no need to go with the 8260. The 8351 is perfectly able to do the job even at a 4 meters distance.

The SPL attenuation due to the listening distance will be in addition quite low because your room (I check the pictures you posted on the Genelec Community Forum) has almost no absorbant surfaces.

It it is probably not a good idea to mix the SVS subwoofers with the Genelec monitors. The Genelec subs can be fully configured in the digital domain by the GLM software to perfectly match with the monitors and this is in my opinion a great advantage.

If SVS are only to cover LFE, is there a possibility in your preamp to reallocate LFE on the monitors ? if yes you can probably (taking into account the volume of 75 dB) obtain good results without subwoofers.

I think that you should mention to Ilkka Rissanen (in the Genelec forum) that you do not want to reach high playback volume and ask him if a subwoofer is still necessary.

To give you an evaluation of the 8260 compared to other product I listen, they are better than my previous set up (Cabasse Baltic + Cabasse Stromboli) and as good as PSI Audio A25m. I never like the B&W sound probably because I never listen to them in good configuration.

Last, I know that it is sometimes difficult to deal with women (WAF) concerning speakers and room treatment, but if she can accept a carpet in front of the sofa it will certainly improve the acoustics of your room.

If you can push the sofa a little bit to the center of the listening area it will decrease the reflections coming from the back wall...

Have a nice day,

Udayan

Hello Ram,

Maybe, I am not the best person for home theater set up advices. My knowledge is theoretical from what I read.

I would like nevertheless to underline some points.

The most important information you mentioned in your post is that you are listening at an average volume of 70 to 75 dB.

In that case there is no need to go with the 8260. The 8351 is perfectly able to do the job even at a 4 meters distance.

The SPL attenuation due to the listening distance will be in addition quite low because your room (I check the pictures you posted on the Genelec Community Forum) has almost no absorbant surfaces.

It it is probably not a good idea to mix the SVS subwoofers with the Genelec monitors. The Genelec subs can be fully configured in the digital domain by the GLM software to perfectly match with the monitors and this is in my opinion a great advantage.

If SVS are only to cover LFE, is there a possibility in your preamp to reallocate LFE on the monitors ? if yes you can probably (taking into account the volume of 75 dB) obtain good results without subwoofers.

I think that you should mention to Ilkka Rissanen (in the Genelec forum) that you do not want to reach high playback volume and ask him if a subwoofer is still necessary.

To give you an evaluation of the 8260 compared to other product I listen, they are better than my previous set up (Cabasse Baltic + Cabasse Stromboli) and as good as PSI Audio A25m. I never like the B&W sound probably because I never listen to them in good configuration.

Last, I know that it is sometimes difficult to deal with women (WAF) concerning speakers and room treatment, but if she can accept a carpet in front of the sofa it will certainly improve the acoustics of your room.

If you can push the sofa a little bit to the center of the listening area it will decrease the reflections coming from the back wall...

Have a nice day,

Udayan

Good advice!

I will add that subwoofers will improve performance in three different areas: maximum SPL, low frequency extension and intermodulation distortion.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 2 weeks later...

ok then: here's my system (details in signature) :)

was curious about SETs since first reading about them but couldn't manage to find/listen to any so... took a leap of faith and ordered Don Garber's Fi Y and X (his cheap models). Six months (plus two years waiting :( ) after getting them I ordered his Fi 2b pre and 2A3 monos. Should be ready in "just" one more year :) (waiting line is now 3 years). Not looking anywhere else ;)

FiYX.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Wonderful system. Those Silverlines are old favorites, and we've already discussed our love of Craig's Moth products. And my compliments on the Emission Labs tubes, most impressive. How well does the s45 SET drive the Sonatina's? JC

Thanks. For my musical tastes the combo works very well. Not a system to rock out but with careful attention to system building / tuning it satisfies my needs.

Silverline Sonatina < Moth Audio s45 SET < Shunyata Hydra < PS Audio UO < i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier < Schiit Modi Multibit < Chromecast Audio

ok then: here's my system (details in signature) :)

was curious about SETs since first reading about them but couldn't manage to find/listen to any so... took a leap of faith and ordered Don Garber's Fi Y and X (his cheap models). Six months (plus two years waiting :( ) after getting them I ordered his Fi 2b pre and 2A3 monos. Should be ready in "just" one more year :) (waiting line is now 3 years). Not looking anywhere else ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32731[/ATTACH]

I gave strong consideration to Don's amp when I eventually went with the Moth. Love the architecture.