IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

My living room:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21784[/ATTACH]

Nice to see a lived in and shared room...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Looks great Mordate. Turntable is awsume! I've recently moved and building new listening/theater room. Have much larger space now 13'x20'x10' high. Will post new pics when complete.

Nice to see a lived in and shared room...

Thank you both. My living room is about 4.10m wide 2.80m high en 7.0m long. When we bought the house I asked if my girlfriend would not mind that there would be no TV in the living room and she agreed. We have 4 bedrooms all of them about 4.0*3.5meters. So one of these bedroom is the TV room, another we turned into a bathroom (an ongoing process). We don't have children, by choice.

My set (sorry for the Dutch, but you are smart people you'll figure it out):

Luidsperkers: Masterr One (van Rick Paap)

Geïntegreerde versteker: Symphonic Line La Musica

DAC: Wadia 12

Phono amp: RCM Sensor Prelude

Loopwerk: CEC TL51x

Platenspeler: SAC Girati Grande

Arm: Dynavector 507mkII

Element: Dynavector Te Katora Rua

Voedingskabel DAC: NBS Monitor III

Voedingskabel loopwerk: NBS Dragonfly

Voedingskabel versterker: Shunyata Taipan Helix

Voedingskabel phono pre: Zu ?

Speakerkabel: AudioQuest Rocker 88

interlinks: Pink Faun 5th anniversary (twee paar)

Laptop met Foobar2000

NAS: Synology 214 met CD naar FLAC geripped mbv dBpoweramp

USB/spdif convertor: M2tech hiface BNC

BNC kabel: een pro audio merk

USB power supply: Schiit Wyrd

USB kabel: Schiit PYST

[br]

Thank you both. My living room is about 4.10m wide 2.80m high en 7.0m long. When we bought the house I asked if my girlfriend would not mind that there would be no TV in the living room and she agreed.

Lovely decision...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hmmm I cannot tell if Audio_ELF is being sarcastic.

Sarcasm detector might be in need of re-validation.

Sorry ... It wasn't sarcasm. My idea would be a good living room with music and a separate TV / cinema room which was used when there was something I actually want to watch.

Eloise

---

I also don't have the TV, and don't need it... funny thing is the people faces, and you can see a big question mark above their heads when asking where is the TV.

I divide my time between Music and Films and Dramas... And I'd rather waste my money on HiFi and other hardware at home than cinema tickets and popcorn.

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...

Very adjustable speaker stands. Height and angle all adjustable in tine increments if needs. Great for exactness in near field PC listening. Its a modified drum rack.

Picture 44.jpg

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

I divide my time between Music and Films and Dramas... And I'd rather waste my money on HiFi and other hardware at home than cinema tickets and popcorn.

Eloise,

I'm not sure of the cost for a cinema ticket and popcorn in the UK, but regular visits for a movie and popcorn here in the States, over the course of the year, would easily add up to enough to buy a nice piece of audio gear!

JC

Very adjustable speaker stands. Height and angle all adjustable in tine increments if needs. Great for exactness in near field PC listening. Its a modified drum rack.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22968[/ATTACH]

Very impressive speaker stand. I've never before seen such adjustment possibilities. Extremely clever.

JC

• 4 months later...
Very impressive speaker stand. I've never before seen such adjustment possibilities. Extremely clever.

JC

Picture 44.jpg

BTW.... I needed to create a jig to make sure that the speaker pedestals are angled the same. You also will need a carpenter's level (long kind) to make sure both speakers sit the same height. Its requires discipline and a desire for precision. But, the results are surprisingly good. Small changes in angle, and minute changes in distance are frightening to watch how the stereo effect can be altered.

I could do ten different reviews of the same system by simply moving a speaker ever so slightly in a different way. It can become like focusing a microscope with fine tuning to zero in on various aspects of what you have on a slide. Stereo focus is also about minuscule movement in the higher frequencies. So, speaker distance being made equal to a given point (depending upon the quality of the recording) means zeroing in both speakers can make a difference between sounding like an audio speaker, or closer to convincingly real music. Height also is critical for the tonal balance in relation to where your ears sit with nearfield listening...

It is rewarding, but requires a learning curve that I am not sure everyone would be willing to put up with. Here are some pictures in what's involved with having an accurate set up. Some are for the pedestal angle jig. One, simply for how the height equality is achieved with a long carpenter's level. Of course, the angle for the pedestals themselves as far as fore and aft can use a simple level to make sure the pedestals sit equally flat.

Picture 53.jpg

No pain, no gain I guess?

Picture 51.jpg

Picture 54.jpg

Picture 55.jpg

Picture 50.jpg

Picture 52.jpg

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

BTW.... I needed to create a jig to make sure that the speaker pedestals are angled the same. You also will need a carpenter's level (long kind) to make sure both speakers sit the same height. Its requires discipline and a desire for precision. But, the results are surprisingly good. Small changes in angle, and minute changes in distance are frightening to watch how the stereo effect can be altered.

I could do ten different reviews of the same system by simply moving a speaker ever so slightly in a different way. It can become like focusing a microscope with fine tuning to zero in on various aspects of what you have on a slide. Stereo focus is also about minuscule movement in the higher frequencies. So, speaker distance being made equal to a given point (depending upon the quality of the recording) means zeroing in both speakers can make a difference between sounding like an audio speaker, or closer to convincingly real music. Height also is critical for the tonal balance in relation to where your ears sit with nearfield listening...

It is rewarding, but requires a learning curve that I am not sure everyone would be willing to put up with. Here are some pictures in what's involved with having an accurate set up. Some are for the pedestal angle jig. One, simply for how the height equality is achieved with a long carpenter's level. Of course, the angle for the pedestals themselves as far as fore and aft can use a simple level to make sure the pedestals sit equally flat.

No pain, no gain I guess?

Pretty wild stand you have going on there. Very cool!

I've had a few thoughts of a way to do this for tower speakers in the past. The image that came to mind was something that looked kinda like two bathroom scales with platers on top that rotated 360deg which the speakers would sit on. Then, having some way to spin them 1deg at a time that locked into place somehow. I bought a couple of Aurduino breadboard kits that I was going to to use to somehow try and automate the movements of the platers which could be controlled from the listening spot to dial in the toe in.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. Laziness got the best of me and now the kits are sitting in the closet with other projects that never came to light :)

Setup%20May%202016.jpg

We live in a downtown apartment which means that our living room is also my listening room. My wife was kind enough to accommodate my stereo on the long wall of the room which happens to be a great position acoustically although the TV diminishes the sound stage. I am in the process of simplifying my setup with an integrated amp which will offer some options for positioning my audio rack later on.

My current setup has the JOB INT Integrated doing the duties fed by my own "rolled" Win 7 computer transport optimized with Fidelizer Pro. Software players are JRiver 20 for library management with HQPlayer and Bughead handling playback. USB treatment is by a USB Regen. Sound is by Green Mountain Audio Eos HX bookshelf speakers on Skyllan stands. Speaker cables are a Japanese OEM brand terminated with Vampire Wire spades. The audio rack is a teak wood design I got made with slats for ventilation.

Thanks to the stunning Job INT my Acoustic Portrait separates are lying unused along with the Lampizator Amber+ DAC. The Job brought back my old Sony CD changer from the dead - mostly for my wife who is comfortable with the CD player over computer audio. Also in the chain is an Apple TV for the occasional movie.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Setup%20May%202016.jpg

We live in a downtown apartment which means that our living room is also my listening room. My wife was kind enough to accommodate my stereo on the long wall of the room which happens to be a great position acoustically although the TV diminishes the sound stage. I am in the process of simplifying my setup with an integrated amp which will offer some options for positioning my audio rack later on.

My current setup has the JOB INT Integrated doing the duties fed by my own "rolled" Win 7 computer transport optimized with Fidelizer Pro. Software players are JRiver 20 for library management with HQPlayer and Bughead handling playback. USB treatment is by a USB Regen. Sound is by Green Mountain Audio Eos HX bookshelf speakers on Skyllan stands. Speaker cables are a Japanese OEM brand terminated with Vampire Wire spades. The audio rack is a teak wood design I got made with slats for ventilation.

Thanks to the stunning Job INT my Acoustic Portrait separates are lying unused along with the Lampizator Amber+ DAC. The Job brought back my old Sony CD changer from the dead - mostly for my wife who is comfortable with the CD player over computer audio. Also in the chain is an Apple TV for the occasional movie.

That's a gorgeous setup. I have always been very curious about Green Mountain. I have 'stats and have found very few multi-way designs that satisfy my quest for coherence, but I have heard great things about those.

I wonder if you've tried pulling those speakers away from the wall a bit to get the soundstage better? To me it looks like I'd be more concerned about your rack and distance from the wall than the wall-mounted TV, vis a vis any impact on soundstage.

That's a gorgeous setup. I have always been very curious about Green Mountain. I have 'stats and have found very few multi-way designs that satisfy my quest for coherence, but I have heard great things about those.

I wonder if you've tried pulling those speakers away from the wall a bit to get the soundstage better? To me it looks like I'd be more concerned about your rack and distance from the wall than the wall-mounted TV, vis a vis any impact on soundstage.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the recommended position would be about a foot further into the room - where my carpet is. The current position is a compromise as it's a shared space.

The Green Mountain Eos HX are brilliant speakers. The enclosure is Q stone - a marble powder cast with resin. Very inert and do not exhibit any box coloration. Very close to the open baffle or stat sound. The HX upgrade is something that Roy came up with using Marigo Audio wire in his first order crossovers. The tweeter is movable to allow for 'time alignment' - something Roy is big on. Very difficult to move to another speaker once you get used to the sound.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110