IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

The diffusers are a commercial product that I purchased over 10 years ago and for the life of me cannot remember the name of the company; If I remember they cost around $ 200 a piece. They are made of plastic and tuned for around the 250 hertz range. I will do some research and get back to you. Sam

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

@Blake

I bought the Kharma's in NL, I used to live there. They have the most amazing showroom I have ever been in, just TOP of the line stuff: Kondo, Audio Note, Behold, FM Acoustics, Vitus, Soulution, Continum Calliburn and Clearaudio Statement TT's and more! Everytime I was there you would be surrounded and plugged by more than 1 million euro worth of equipment, it was insane. The best part is that I could plug and play stuff to test, you should definitely try to pay them a visit, they are in Breda.

For my part, Im moving on to Active Monitors, trying to follow the less is more lemma: DAC -> Monitors. I have never been more amazed by any speaker/amp combo at my price range than with the PMC MB2S-A, Barefoot MicroMain27 and Event Opal which a are considerably cheaper that the other two but are as amazing. I am auditioning the 3 of them and will decide soon which one to keep.

Are the active monitors you list only for Nearfield? Those Barefoot's look awesome.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Are the active monitors you list only for Nearfield? Those Barefoot's look awesome.

I would categorize them as midfield, although they can perfectly work nearfield. I am testing them at a 3 meter distance.

PMC MB2S-A / Event Opal ← Audio Horizons TD3.1Sv custom Control DAC ← Berkeley Alpha USB ← Pure Music + ARC 2 ← MacMini i7 ← PS Audio P5 ← Xentek Extreme isolation transformer. Click here for cabling and other details

Picture of my setup. Definitely not as nice as most of the other setups here but it brings me joy for the most part. Unfortunately my basement is under construction so the room serves as both 2 channel listening and theater. I am really hoping to move the TV and all theater gear to the basement next winter, we will see how that goes. My room is also an acoustic nightmare, lots of echo and setup terribly for high fidelity audio playback. I am still debating flipping it 90 degrees so that I am listening across the long portion of the room rather than across the short way of the room, it will allow me to not have my couch butted up against the wall and have room behind me, we will see how ambitious I get but I have a feeling I won't be doing that until all the multi channel gear and television get moved downstairs.

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

2 Channel gear on the floor, multichannel on the stand. And yes, that is a giant 3'x3'x3' subwoofer in the corner to the right of the setup. People who visit think i'm crazy, I think they are crazy for not having one in their living rooms :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite humbled by all of the systems around here.

Over the years I have cobbled together this ragtag & motley assembladge of all used electronics other than my DAC. I finished the speaker build in 2007. the TV/equipment rack & TT stand were completed in 2008. The C-19 pre with its integral phono pre was completely & totally modified & refurbished with the help of Bob Carver & PGH Vintage HiFi two years ago. I only began integrating CA into my analog system a little over a year ago. Now, I do not even have a SeeDee player in the house. My 4TB PC server is in another room. Music files are controlled & played via my laptop or Samsung tablet using Foobar.

The amp in the photo is a Wells Akasha Akasha Amplifier » Wells Audio review sample that a V good friend brought over a few weeks ago during one of our local group get-together's. A V nice sounding amp. Everyone that heard it came up with the the same description; 'Analog'. Very smooth, with incredible detail & appropriate authority in the low-end. Actually to the point one would not need a subwoofer in many cases. We were amazed an amp could exhibit such iron-fisted control over what are basically mid-range drivers & produce such clean, tight, powerful, realistic & most importantly, musical bass. But with a full range speaker (which we did not have available for comparison), I am not sure that the low end may carry a bit too much weight. Regardless, it was a wonderful sound. One I could easily live with in my own system for many years. I guess I will have to get on another lottery pool at work & just keep hoping for some good fortune!

The photos were taken by a V good friend who previously was distracted from the audio hobby by the advent of digital photography. He is now back in our fold, & carbon fiber tripods are now being overlooked as NAS servers are installed & images of Focal Utopias dance in his head.

DSC05702_bw021_zps3647a083.jpg

DSC05702hdr1_zpsb9487c68.jpg

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Hi Mick The Kraken, nice set up. I also have a Weiss Dac2 with a mac mini. Was wondering how you like Audirvana Plus with your Weiss. I am currently just using iTunes and am looking to upgrade to a good player. Would you recommend it.

Also just wondering it says you have a Weiss Dac2 FW v.2.03.5...is that the firmware software.

Thanks.

Hi Mick The Kraken, nice set up. I also have a Weiss Dac2 with a mac mini. Was wondering how you like Audirvana Plus with your Weiss. I am currently just using iTunes and am looking to upgrade to a good player. Would you recommend it.

Also just wondering it says you have a Weiss Dac2 FW v.2.03.5...is that the firmware software.

Thanks.

Thanks, Custom71!

I love Audirvana Plus with the Weiss. I think it's as good as digital has ever sounded in my system, so I would absolutely recommend it. There's a full-featured trial (and there are many features), so you should check it out just as soon as you can download it: Get Audirvana Plus | Audirvana

And yes, 2.0.3.5 is the firmware version. You may need to register to get to the downloads section, but here's a link if you need it: http://www.weiss.ch/downloads/index.php

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

Thanks.

Thanks, Custom71!

I love Audirvana Plus with the Weiss. I think it's as good as digital has ever sounded in my system, so I would absolutely recommend it. There's a full-featured trial (and there are many features), so you should check it out just as soon as you can download it: Get Audirvana Plus | Audirvana

And yes, 2.0.3.5 is the firmware version. You may need to register to get to the downloads section, but here's a link if you need it: http://www.weiss.ch/downloads/index.php

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

Thanks, Custom71!

Thanks for the insight Mick The Kraken! :)

Are you using iTunes as the interface and Audirvana + as the player?

Also wondering if you have ever had the chance to compare JRiver on your mac with Audirvana in terms of sound quality?

Thanks

Thanks for the insight Mick The Kraken! :)

Are you using iTunes as the interface and Audirvana + as the player?

Also wondering if you have ever had the chance to compare JRiver on your mac with Audirvana in terms of sound quality?

Thanks

Yes, I'm using iTunes with Audirvana. I've set the resolution to a very low (considering the 17'' native res) 1024x640 so that the Audirvana GUI takes up almost the entire width of the screen, then I minimize iTunes and just use Remote on my iPhone for all music browsing. This way it gives the slight illusion that I have another component sitting with the DAC and amp.

As far as JRiver goes, I used it with Windows (installed on my Mac) and it worked great. In the end, however, I ultimately decided to go back to the Mac OS and then settled on Audirvana for it's features and simple interface.

Cheers,

Mick

Thank Mick,

So did you prefer the sound quality of AV+ over JR in windows?

Are you able to the comment on the difference in the sound between the two players...

Thanks

To be honest, I didn't live with JR long enough to say. Feature-wise, though, if all you're dealing with is the playback of audio files, I don't know of a better piece of software. I don't care too much for the latest version of iTunes, but it doesn't bother me enough to matter (plus, I just rip/import and forget, using Remote as my sole interface); and A+ does everything I would think to be important (Exclusive Access and Direct Modes, the shutting down of unnecessary and potentially taxing services) as well as having the industry-standard iZotope up/oversampling engine.

You can demo both, so go for it and compare away for the two weeks each offer.

Cheers,

Mick

svoynr.jpgThe speakers are VMPS RM30M’s. On the left, second shelf is a TEAC P/70 CD Transport. This sends the signal to a Behringer DEQ2496 Digitial Equaliser (right, second shelf), then to the TEAC D/70 DAC (left, third shelf) and on to a Son of Ampzilla Amp, right, bottom. On the left, bottom shelf is a Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner.

The racks are Finite Elemente Pagode and the foam is from Auralex. The speakers, which are meant to sit on the floor, are raised on solid wooden blocks which somehow mean I hear more of the higher frequencies at the listening position. The brown paper on the Behringer (and black on the TEACs) reduces the LED lights etc as I usually listen in the dark.

Just upgraded From a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Desktop Setup, The room has been a challenge Tuning wise.

Right Speaker.JPG

Behind Left Corner.JPG

XSP-1 Preamp.JPG

Room Sign.JPG

Behind Desk.JPG

Macmini.JPG

MacMini > Audirvana Plus > Musical Fidelity V Dac 2 >

Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 > Ascend Sierra Towers NRT >

Rythmik F12SE > :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here´s my computer setup.

foto.jpg

Its a 2011 i5 Mac mini with 8gb ram, 128gb ssd and 1tb hard drive with music. I am using BitPerfect and iTunes to play my music in AIFF format. The Mac mini is connected to a HRT Music Streamer II with a Supra usb cable and from the dac, i use Nordost Blue Heaven RCA interconnects to my Elac AM 150 active speakers.

system.jpg

4 way fully active 2 x DEQX HDP-4 Digital DSP crossovers. Mac Mini, Sonicweld USB SPDIF. Only 2 channels of the Emotiva 7 channel amplifier are used to drive the tweeters while looking for a pair of 300B tube amps.

2013-05-05 15.35.18.jpg

Mac Mini, Sonicweld, DEQX HDP-4 x 2, 6L6 single-ended (tweeter amp), 4 channel DBA-1 no feedback bi-pol 80w (Mid & Mid-Bass amp) 500w Powerphysic D-class (Bass) Speakers custom 4 way active.

Here are my systems in two photos. Both are driven off my 2012 Mac Pro using iTunes (all ALAC). The desktop speakers are Harbeth P3ESR's driven by a Nuforce DDA100 amp connected to the MacPro via USB. The DDA 100 is not in the picture. A wireless Audio Engine DAC is also connected to the Mac Pro and drives the bigger rig. NAD 375BEE amp and Harbeth 40.1 speakers.

8625269785_472b546ae7_b.jpg

8505905428_021f49b590_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finished building as much as could get away with, especially out here in the boonies. Sorry thumbs like like crap but links ok.

Next up:

Fixing my Audiolense setup (currently sound out of phase with convolution)

More JPLAY tweaking (dug out old CAPS to try Streamer mode)

Mount a wall-shelf to isolate components from speakers and sub (will "hide" over existing black bookcase)

Ponder if my wife will the sub out in the room (but it actually plays pretty wall stashed in there)

Settle on additional NAS vs. local USB enclosure with 20TB

Add modded Adnaco S3B

Maybe slide some thing absorption in behind the mashrubiya on the front wall (hoping my wife won't notice)

Find a DSD DAC

GtN2iAUl.jpg

RE3ImWcl.jpg

YTHAv4el.jpg

j9vuAFul.jpg

9sLxiVLl.jpg

0hnzGyhl.jpg

Y4TUsPTl.jpg

xx5kkwCl.jpg

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Some changes to the setup:

1) Sold off the Dynaudio BM5AmkII and Benchmark DAC1 USB combo for a DAC2 HGC/Parasound A23/KEF LS50 setup.

2) Ditched the Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Parasound HALO A23 combo for the McIntosh MA6300 & Schiit Gungnir combo.

Now a happy man!

P1030332.jpg

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W