IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Hi bliss - Nice rack! Ahem, so to speak :) I like the combination of old and new gear.

Any chance of sharing your impressions of the Lynx? The specs & marketing on it suggest it would be very interesting to quite a few CA members. Well, to me anyway - mastering grade conversion, headphone output, from a pro-audio company but, so they say, also a product made partly with the audiophile market in mind (and so on)... but I've not found many first hand user reviews.

My old large "cat scratching posts" aren't too photogenic these days, so here is a photo of the internals of my own design DIY headphone amplifier instead.

My main Class A preamplifier is quite similar too. It is also of dual mono construction with 2 outboard toroidal transformers, and is fully DC coupled.Both now use DACT2 attenuators.

Alex

spcbssmall.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Jay192, color me mightily impressed. Any chance you might be wanting to host a CA Forum Antipodes party in, say, 5 years after I'm retired and have some spare time? :-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jay192, color me mightily impressed. Any chance you might be wanting to host a CA Forum Antipodes party in, say, 5 years after I'm retired and have some spare time? :-)

Sure! It's a really a pleasure to have friends comes around to listen :). Summer's just around the corner so we could do it soon!

IMG-6AA.jpg

Rear during voicing.jpg

Don't have any recent images. Anyway, the only thing that has changed are the amps.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Have gone minimalist lately, sold my Soulution 710 and unplugged my BADA etc. Now it's just this. Mac Mini and Soulution 590 mounted behind the Devialet.

201210032323-001-L.jpg

I cannot get over how well made the Q1s are.

201210032331-009-XL.jpg

discless since 2005

Power: Equitech 5WQ-E | Primary Source: Mac Mini with Pure Music | USB Interface: Soulution 590 | Amps: Dual Devialet D-Premier in Dual Mono mode | Subwoofer: Wilson Benesch Torus + Torus Amp + DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core | Speakers: Magico Q1

Semi-Retired Equipment: AudioMachina Maestro S | Aurender S10 | Transporter | TacT 2.2XP | BADA USB | BADA Series 2

@Masis,

Nice, like the minimalistic approach... please, for the information on acoustic panels

behind the speakers and the walls (Company/Model).

Thanks,

Acoustic panels... RPG, DIY and the ones you are referring to are Vicoustic. They actually come with a detachable wooden diffuser. But I prefer absorption for these panels...

discless since 2005

Power: Equitech 5WQ-E | Primary Source: Mac Mini with Pure Music | USB Interface: Soulution 590 | Amps: Dual Devialet D-Premier in Dual Mono mode | Subwoofer: Wilson Benesch Torus + Torus Amp + DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core | Speakers: Magico Q1

Semi-Retired Equipment: AudioMachina Maestro S | Aurender S10 | Transporter | TacT 2.2XP | BADA USB | BADA Series 2

Outstanding setup Masis! You literally have my dream system. One of these days I am going to pull the trigger on some Q1's. Just need to convince the wife. I have also been lusting after the Devialet's.

Sonically, my preference is for stand-mounted speakers augmented by a subwoofer rather than large floor standing units (I just love the "disappearing act" and imaging prowess of stand-mounts).

Finally, from an aesthetic approach, I am also a huge fan of the minimalist setup and love the "big beautiful sound" emanating from a small number of compact boxes.

So, bottom line, congrats on a wonderful system. I may just make a screen saver from your pic.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2179[/ATTACH]

Don't have any recent images. Anyway, the only thing that has changed are the amps.

Who's the artist? Love the paintings.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Who's the artist? Love the paintings.

Thanks.

It's Patrick Taylor, who did the drawings in the book.

He is co-owner if a gallery here in the Atlanta area where my wife exhibits her glass art.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Masis

great set up. Have you tried biamping with Devialet (using its x-over function) eliminating the torus amp?

What is your experience with Devialet AIR (v1.4) WiFi compared to your USB interface

Hi, actually, I am using the Devialet's XO. Devialet's subout is low level, if you want a high level subout from the Devialet, you need to buy another Devialet! I think 2 is enough for now. =)

Devialet AIR is very good. There are two limitations: 1) 24/96. It downsamples anything above to 24/96 2) It does not support any AU Plugins. I need one plugin... not willing to let that one go...

discless since 2005

Outstanding setup Masis! You literally have my dream system. One of these days I am going to pull the trigger on some Q1's. Just need to convince the wife. I have also been lusting after the Devialet's.

Sonically, my preference is for stand-mounted speakers augmented by a subwoofer rather than large floor standing units (I just love the "disappearing act" and imaging prowess of stand-mounts).

Finally, from an aesthetic approach, I am also a huge fan of the minimalist setup and love the "big beautiful sound" emanating from a small number of compact boxes.

So, bottom line, congrats on a wonderful system. I may just make a screen saver from your pic.

Thanks Blake! You should do it and buy it! I really love the fact I do not have to mess with stuff like cables anymore. Other than the 3 power cords (Mac MIni and Devialet), I only have one AES/EBU cable and speaker cables. That's it! After 20 yrs in this hobby, I really wonder why things have to be so complicated. Technology has really advanced to a point that I think we can get BETTER sound by simplifying.

ws

discless since 2005

I love the Soulution components! Build quality one must see in person. Pictures don't do Soulution justice.

I agree. You have to get close to it to appreciate. Funny that alot of speaker manufacturers love to use the 710. Its pretty indifferent to unusual and challenging loads.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Room is used for both 2 channel music and Home Theater, but the main design goals were for music listening.

Speakers are the Rockport Arrakis 2 (active version with Rockport active external crossover) using 2 sets of VTL Siegfried mono block amplifiers and 2 REL Studio III sub bass systems.

Side View of Rockport Arrakis 2 and VTL amps.jpg

Front End Components are an MSB Digital front end and The Beat mag drive turntable with Allnic phono stage all connected to the VTL 7.5 series 3 preamp.

Front End Components.jpg

Babybear... Am I right in assuming that your nickname refers to the largest animal which fits inside your speakers? :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim!!!! Small world! Holy Cow, knew you were into nice gear but had no idea! Wish we had discussed more during one of our track days. If you talk to any of the old crew say hello and greetings from Austin!

Steven

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2179[/ATTACH]

Some of these 'listening rooms' are bigger than my whole house. :-(

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.