IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

7 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a kit to share that I put together for my aged parents. 

It may be of interest for those not blessed with lots of cash. 

IMO, far too much attention is paid in audiophile land to gear that costs far more than the average person can afford, yet there is lots of gear, that if not giant killers, provides far more "bang for the buck" than megabuck gear. Only rarely do I see a system consisting of such gear. 

Here's one for those who missed it: Mr. Fußball's budget system

Warning: to do justice to the system I put together, I decided to post it up on a new website rather than here, so below is the link to it:

A Budget Near Field System 

Thanks for a very nice write up of your near field system. I like description of all the thought you put into the accessories like the equipment stands and cabling - even on a relatively low budget system I think that can make the difference between a 'quite good' and 'really good' system. I really like IsoAcoustics stands for my small desktop systems - it would be interesting to compare them with your custom Mapleshade based stands.

I'm also a fan of Duelund cables after reading the Jeff's Place articles - I use Duelund DCA16GA speaker cable for two different speaker based systems. And I've made up an assortment of six different interconnects with Duelund DCA20A and several different makes of RCA plugs - Switchcraft, ETI Research and KLE. I wonder how they would compare with the DECWARE Silver References that you used.

I would love to hear the open baffle Betsy's in Mr Fussball's system - I have some IKEA chairs finished in birch and one of the Betsy options on the site is a perfect match in birch for my chairs. I have a 3.5 watt APPJ tube amp that would be a perfect match for the Betsy's along with Duelund cable of course.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, TJHUB said:

I just want to share my adventure with Duelund wire.  I've tried 12, 16, 20, and 26 awg wire.  After listening to all kinds of configurations, I run a shotgun of 12awg/20awg for speaker cables.  The 12 is great for bass and is detailed yet weighty, and the 20 is not rolled off in the treble, yet has rich tone and textures in the mids (my speakers are bi-wireable obviously).  I've been very happy with this combo for some time.  I also made interconnects out of the 26awg, and they are fantastic!  So much so, two of my friends now run the same in their setups and were blown away.  One major note: DO NOT twist any of the wires!  The sound quality suffers very noticeably.  Also, nothing I've made is shielded, and all is dead silent.  

I use Duelund DCA16GA for speaker cables, and DCA20GA with KLE Absolute Harmony plugs for interconnects. I agree they are amazing for a lot less money than well known fancy cables. I twist my Duelund though.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot