IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Setup%20May%202016.jpg

We live in a downtown apartment which means that our living room is also my listening room. My wife was kind enough to accommodate my stereo on the long wall of the room which happens to be a great position acoustically although the TV diminishes the sound stage. I am in the process of simplifying my setup with an integrated amp which will offer some options for positioning my audio rack later on.

My current setup has the JOB INT Integrated doing the duties fed by my own "rolled" Win 7 computer transport optimized with Fidelizer Pro. Software players are JRiver 20 for library management with HQPlayer and Bughead handling playback. USB treatment is by a USB Regen. Sound is by Green Mountain Audio Eos HX bookshelf speakers on Skyllan stands. Speaker cables are a Japanese OEM brand terminated with Vampire Wire spades. The audio rack is a teak wood design I got made with slats for ventilation.

Thanks to the stunning Job INT my Acoustic Portrait separates are lying unused along with the Lampizator Amber+ DAC. The Job brought back my old Sony CD changer from the dead - mostly for my wife who is comfortable with the CD player over computer audio. Also in the chain is an Apple TV for the occasional movie.

That's a gorgeous setup. I have always been very curious about Green Mountain. I have 'stats and have found very few multi-way designs that satisfy my quest for coherence, but I have heard great things about those.

I wonder if you've tried pulling those speakers away from the wall a bit to get the soundstage better? To me it looks like I'd be more concerned about your rack and distance from the wall than the wall-mounted TV, vis a vis any impact on soundstage.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the recommended position would be about a foot further into the room - where my carpet is. The current position is a compromise as it's a shared space.

The Green Mountain Eos HX are brilliant speakers. The enclosure is Q stone - a marble powder cast with resin. Very inert and do not exhibit any box coloration. Very close to the open baffle or stat sound. The HX upgrade is something that Roy came up with using Marigo Audio wire in his first order crossovers. The tweeter is movable to allow for 'time alignment' - something Roy is big on. Very difficult to move to another speaker once you get used to the sound.

I understand about shared space. I'm currently very lucky to have most of our downstairs for my system, as all the living space is upstairs. The idea of bringing the Acoustat Model 3 speakers upstairs would not be entertained! Honestly, I wouldn't even want them up there, I'd be too nervous every time the dog had "crazy time" or my daughter and her friends got going with their dancing.