IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Since I can't edit my first pic, here's another.

My speakers are SP Tech Revelations with external Mundorf crossovers (boxes in corner; center channel box is under the center channel speaker). The center and music surrounds are SP Tech Continuums (same as Revs without transmission line woofer enclosure). My pre shown here is a bargain: the Wyred4Sound STP SE. I also use the wonderful Modwright LS 36.5 dual mono 2 box tubed pre (depends on mood). The amps are Spectron Musician III Mark 2 monoblocks. Behind the center channel speaker are my Macbook SSD music server and my Weiss DAC2 24/192 DAC, as well as a McCormack DNA-250 which powers the center channel, and an Audience AR12 Adept Response power conditioner. The amps are plugged into smaller Audience AR1 coniditioners, then into the wall. Everything else (inc AR12) plugs into a PIAudio UberBuss, then into the wall. (The surround/video stuff is off camera on the right wall). Cabling includes ASI liveline XLR (DAC to pre), Furutech Evolution II XLR (pre to amps), custom Synergistic Research XLR y-adpters for amp monoblock setup, and prototype Elrod Remote Sense speaker cables (amp to crossovers). I use the Aether Audio (SP Tech's new name) Black boxes from crossover to speaker terminal; (they are incredible speaker level r/c network/noise reduction devices that improve any speaker/amp integration).

The real workhouses in this setup are the Sistrum isolation stands (the amps are temporarily on larger stands than needed cuz i'm redoing things; they will be on Sistrum SP-101's like the speakers are on, and the amps stuff will be used on the video/surround rack). Sistrum's concept is to allow equipment to naturally vibrate and then funnel/transfer that vibration out to ground as quickly and expediently as possible. It works in spades!!!

The room is treated with 20+ Realtrap diffusors, bass traps and RFZ panels, as well as a sprinkling of GIK Art panels on the rear wall. My mug can be seen in Stereophile's Realtrap testimonial ad (Nov 2009 and every 5 months).

BTW, the rear Continuum surrounds are used for hirez multichannel music (SACD, DVD-A, BluRay) only. When watching movies those behemoths are not in the signal path; instead side (90 degree) and rear (130 degree) Alon Centris's are involved for a dedicated 7.1 setup. Each setup (2 channel, 5.1 and 7.1) have dedicated signal paths. 2 channel is used every night. :)

• 11 months later...

Well, the Hedback Design room acoustic makeover is completed. We installed the large ceiling diffusor/trap last Wednesday and the sound of the room is transformational...a qualitative shift in everything...tonality, image specificity, detail, naturalness, soundstage depth. It's as if I told the room to "settle down and let me listen" and a whole new world opened up. Hell, it will probably force me to relook speaker positioning, etc...except my 90 minute listening session last night was sooo good that I'm not sure i wanna fix what ain't broken.

Thanks to Jeff Hedback (designer/acoustic engineer), my local craftsman extraordinaire Doug Carpenter (yes, that's his real last name :) ) and to my wife and family for putting up with this.

All told, the major changes were:

* front corner traps, floor to ceiling, custom made. Allowed me to repurpose the Realtrap Mondo corners to the back sloped area.

* a 400 lb tuned membrane "floating wall" on the front wall, behind the screen assembly, which brought about amazing soundstage and balance (fewer nulls, etc) improvements by itself

* side wall diffusors and tetrahedral treatments that open up the room and improve even surround high rez imaging.

* the piece de resistance, a large ceiling cloud, hanging from acoustical clips, made up of wood diffusors (HDacoustic HAR diffusors) and 4 inches of bass trapping foam insulation. (There is light roping installed but it shows up very slightly....no big deal, the roping set me back $12.). The energy held up in that ceiling area was quite high, caused mostly by my sloped ceiling design when we built the house. it was a good idea at the time! :)

All of the Realtrap products and GIK art panels continue to do their jobs (in many cases re-positioned), and work in tandem with the Hedback Design custom built foundation.

(Pictures have darkening window treatments recessed to show natural light, but I never listen/watch that way. Left wall area is also cleared of RFZ trap for same reason, to let light in).

dsc0006xe.jpg

dsc00102dy.jpg

dsc00082rj.jpg

dsc0011ug.jpg

• 8 months later...