IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

I don't think you would want to get any closer than 3 feet from them. They need a bit of distance for the two drivers to recombine.

I like the GX50s a lot. Lots of detail in a realistic natural way. A fun and enjoyable speaker. Midrange is more neutral and bass is adequate. I like them for my jazz and folk music. Not the speaker for someone that prefers a more warmer pronounce midrange though.

my desk is reasonably large, so the speakers are about 3' away when i'm sitting and working. i think the gx100s work extremely well in a nearfield situation. i'm enjoying them much more than the ls50s that were there previously. the drivers are close together and i find the drivers are basically not noticeable. the soundstage is really tall and reasonably wide. i will admit that rolling back a foot or so makes them sound even better.

i agree with kiwi2 that you get tons of detail in a very realistic way. my wife said they sounded very lush/romantic. the gx100s have the benefit of a larger woofer, so i get a satisfying amount of bass. definitely not a clinical sound at all.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600
Nice, Are you using those GX100 in a near field setup? I was thinking of getting a pair of GX50 for my PC speakers and was always curious if they were designed for near field use.

ejn1 -- they're probably not specifically designed for nearfield, but i'm very pleased with the sound. as i mentioned above, i am about 3' from the speakers so they're not right on top of me.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
Thanks, I would be around 2 to 2.5 ft so probably a bit close.

Is there someplace you can give them a listen? The gx100s exceeded my expectations.

Have you checked out the reviews online? Seems like I read a review of the gx50s in a desktop system.

Probably here in the UK but they are not easily seen in audio shops. For me, I have the Audioengine A2 which are really good so only would want a material step up if I were to change. My first choice would be a designed nearfield as an upgrade but almost bought a pair of the 50's so was curious.

i think i'd try and find some of the focal active speakers to listen to -- those may be just the upgrade that you're looking for.

• 3 years later...
Like the term I saw earlier in thread, "audio office".

VPI Classic w/Zephyr MKiii / Avid Pellar Phono / Hegel H360 / ATC SCM19 v2 / OPPO HA-1 / LCD-X (not in pics)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33544[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33545[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33546[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33547[/ATTACH]

very nice! so did you dust everything before you took the pics? never seen such an absence of dust -- definitely not what you'd see with a good look at my rig!

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...