IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
+1

I have 2 of these running off a Velodyne SMS-1 sub EQ and they are tight and blend well with my bookshelf speakers. They don't go quite as low as other sloppy subs I've had, but that's okay because no song I listen to has explosions in it :)

The SMS-1 is an invaluable tool for dialing in a subwoofer and i highly recommend it for anyone without measuring or DSP. The difference between a system with and without is like night and day!

• 1 month later...
Compared to some set-ups I have seen here, mine are modest set-ups. Still for me they give endless hours of music pleasure. I have 3 set-ups. Two at home (one in the library and one in the living room) and the third in my office. I live in the countryside with no neighbors (great). I shall post in 3 different posts. First, the set-up in the library at home, more of a music room these days.

Mac Mini 2012, DACMagic Plus, Amplifier Rotel RA 1520, CD player Azur 651 BD, turntable: Technics SL-1200, SSpeakers

Speakers: Klipsch RF 82 + B&W 684, iD100 Digital Dock

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4407[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4408[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4409[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4406[/ATTACH]

Forget the systems....Nice view!.......not sure I'd get much listening in with all that scenery at my fingertips.

• 6 months later...
I posted this earlier in the Concero HD thread, but here is is again for this thread. I live most of the year in Shanghai (with permanent home in Berkeley), so I wanted a compact, minimalist, high SQ system that worked with 220V as well as 120V for my apartment in Shanghai.

Macbook Pro ( to be replaced by a Mac mini soon); Oyen Firewire fanless disk drive; Resonessence Concero HD DAC; Adam A7X speakers; Transparent Performance USB cable; Synergistic Research Galileo Basik RCA interconnects; stock power cables and fuses. This seems to be working well, but suggested tweaks will be welcomed. Particularly since I now have the speakers on stands in the living room and these are in front of empty bookcases, maybe some room treatment is in order. Plus power system upgrades - cords and maybe fuses.

Sounds great even now, though very little breaking in to date

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7468[/ATTACH]

Looks great!....get those Adams up off of the desktop with the midpoint between the ribbon and woofer at ear level and things will really open up for you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
+1. I am a bit obsessed with the W5 speakers. I am not sure what it is, but they really appeal to me. Oystein, if you have a chance, please post your thoughts in that thread.

Ive worked with the little Fountek fullranger and it is quite a gem.....and very affordable at $37 per driver. I did a complete 5.1 with them. Single driver surrounds and three MTM fronts with the FR88 flanked by two 51/4" woofers.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
That's a great setup! I used to have the Dynaudio Contour S1.4 and enjoyed it very much. hey are not at my dad's house, and I have the Contour S3.4.

The speakers seem to have a very large toe-in. How far apart are the speakers, and how much toe-in is that (distance between the edge of your carpet and front feet)? I'm playing with toe-in of my speakers and found that with a large toe-in, the soundstage gets much narrower. Do you have that experience as well? I ended up with 2cm of toe-in (from edge of carpet to front feet; I don't know how many degrees that is), and my speakers are 2 meters apart (measured from center of one tweeter to the other).

Placement is always room dependant and what works in one space most likely won't in another. Speakers don't radiate sound across their spectrum in a directive fashion but instead, variable in frequency and direction dependant on the baffle size and shape and the driver's behavior and size. Irregular boundary distance and material will also strongly influence what and when sound arrives at the listener. In the case of the poster's system, the right side stage will sound a bit brighter from reflected energy from the glass doors. More or less toe in can mitigate it to an extent, but that leaves the excess on axis energy to still beam at the listener which is dependant on the drivers and crossover design. A curtain over the glass doors would help this room quite a bit in presenting a balanced, symmetrical stage.

I agree with Mayhem's comments but want to point out one item concerning the bolded comment above. Many people have the view that glass is more reflective than other wall surfaces, but this is simply not true. For example, overall, glass has more absorption than drywall across the frequency spectrum:

Absorption_zps283b3dc8.gif

Excellent chart.......but it doesn't extend far enough to meet the needs of audiophiles! Lol

On a serious note, yes you are correct it he spectrum were cropped but look what happens as frequency increases? The harder surfaces become less absorbing so at 4000hz, 96% of the acoustic energy is reflected which was my point of sounding increasingly 'bright'.

You are correct, although the differences between drywall/plaster and glass above 4khz are still rather small (4% compared to 9%).

My overall point is that when it comes to absorption, glass is only slightly worse above 4khz and is better at all other frequencies below 4khz.

I always assumed glass would be much more reflective than typical wall surfaces. My front/speaker wall consists entirely of very large, two story tall windows and when I set up the listening room I was very concerned, until I started doing some research and talking to GIK Acoustics when ordering my acoustic treatments.

The moral of the story is that if someone wants to tame high frequencies, they can't assume typical wall surfaces will work, as all typical wall surfaces perform poorly at high frequencies. Carpets, drapes or better yet, acoustic panels are mandatory.

Agreed.......the only assumpions can be made in regards to the speaker's radiation patters. Highly directive speakers of say 90 horizontal and 40 vertical eliminate A LOT of the problems associated with typical radiators and rooms. I won't ever use a dome tweeter or a cone midrange above 1khz ever again.

In my special situation the glass door behind the speaker makes no sonical difference in the high frequencies. The first reflection of that glass door does not show in my direction, but to the other (right) side of the room. I think, a wooden and painted door would not make any significant difference.

If I used a carpet behind the speaker, I had to do that on the left side too. But reverberation in my room is okay, there is no need for a carpet or similar, at least not behind the speakers. If any, I'd like to tune the ceiling, but the other family members won't ;)

Best practise of room tuning: diffraction behind the speakers and absorbtion behind the listener. Every room tuning expert will tell the same.

Sorry but i have to disagree with you on all counts including your previous assesment that bass response is smooth. Your perceptions may indicate so, but given two radiators in free space on stands and bounce from the floor and ceiling its simply not possible. Diffraction works from behind with a dipole or open baffle system, not so with direct radiators, particularly in the modal region from 500hz on down where the midbass drivers become exclusively omni directional.

....but im certainly happy that you're happy with your system and space regardless. In the end, that's all that counts, no?

• 2 years later...