IGNORED

Who makes chips for audiophile equipment?

Burr-Brown was acquired by TI in 2000. The DAC and ADC lines are still available. I don't know to what extent TI has updated the designs.

Wolfson was recently acquired by Cirrus Logic, which already had an audio line. For now the old Wolfson parts seem to be available, though I'd imagine some consolidation is likely in the future.

You failed to mention AKM, whose chips are widely used in both mass-market and audiophile gear.

My general impression is that ESS Sabre DACs are used exclusively in audiophile equipment. BB/TI and AKM can be found in a lot of studio gear as well. Cirrus/Wolfson is more common in lower end devices.

11 hours ago, mansr said:

Burr-Brown was acquired by TI in 2000. The DAC and ADC lines are still available. I don't know to what extent TI has updated the designs.

Wolfson was recently acquired by Cirrus Logic, which already had an audio line. For now the old Wolfson parts seem to be available, though I'd imagine some consolidation is likely in the future.

You failed to mention AKM, whose chips are widely used in both mass-market and audiophile gear.

My general impression is that ESS Sabre DACs are used exclusively in audiophile equipment. BB/TI and AKM can be found in a lot of studio gear as well. Cirrus/Wolfson is more common in lower end devices.

How about Analogue Devices, aren't they still making D/A chips?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, mansr said:

They are, but only for non-audio applications. A couple of DACs nevertheless use them, but they are rare.

They are Schiit.  ;)

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

On 2017-6-25 at 2:20 PM, mansr said:

They are, but only for non-audio applications. A couple of DACs nevertheless use them, but they are rare.

Correction: they do have a few audio DACs that I missed when I checked their website. That said, they top out at 110 dB SNR, which isn't exactly audiophile grade.

AD1955 made by Analog Devices is used in several highly respected DACs like Berkeley Reference, Bricasti, etc

it has 120db SNR,  THD+N vs amplitude plot is the best I have seen, although I am not sure if its measuring condition is the same as other manufacturers.

AD1955 is still a highend da for sure

5 hours ago, kevint said:

AD1955 made by Analog Devices is used in several highly respected DACs like Berkeley Reference, Bricasti, etc

it has 120db SNR,  THD+N vs amplitude plot is the best I have seen, although I am not sure if its measuring condition is the same as other manufacturers.

AD1955 is still a highend da for sure

You're quite correct, and I was mistaken. The product table on their website doesn't work well on tiny phone screens, and I misread it.

So that means we have ADI, AKM, ESS, TI/BB, and Cirrus/Wolfson as the main producers of high-end audio DAC chips. I recall someone, possibly @Jud, mentioning a DAC based on an obscure chip from Niigata Seimitsu, but this company is no longer in that business.

26 minutes ago, mansr said:

So that means we have ADI, AKM, ESS, TI/BB, and Cirrus/Wolfson as the main producers of high-end audio DAC chips. I recall someone, possibly @Jud, mentioning a DAC based on an obscure chip from Niigata Seimitsu, but this company is no longer in that business.

FN1242a "Fluency" DAC chip.  It was used by Luxman and more recently by Sonore, and was popular in various DIY DAC designs.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

You're quite correct, and I was mistaken. The product table on their website doesn't work well on tiny phone screens, and I misread it.

well, that's 5 majors so we've avoided a duopoly

2 hours ago, lucretius said:

Yes.  I bought boards from exD for a DAC I semi-customized.  Never used the chip’s “Fluency” upsampling - used software upsampling into the DAC.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What companies make search engines for finding things out?

Okay, I'll be nice.  But what is your goal?  There are many companies involved, some are foundries and some are only design houses.  I couldn't possibly remember all that we used in our amps and preamps, but Linear, Onsemi, Maxim, Toshiba, TI, Vishay, and Motorola are a few that come to mind.  And the parts that aren't exactly chips, i.e. cut pieces from a wafer, are extremely important.  Dirt cheap, tiny metal film SMD resistors make all kinds of good products affordable now.  

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.