IGNORED

Beyond stereo?

15 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I would be as happy as a puppy with two peters if I had a pair of MG-20.7i's or a pair of Neoliths, but since I'm retired, I have to make do with my Martin Logan Vantages in system #1 and my Maggie MG-0.7s in system #2!

Several folks in my local audio club with MLs (no Neoliths yet, but couple CLS, Impressions, etc) and at least one 20.7 and a dealer that has/sells them. A store in Sarasota has the Neoliths, but I missed the demo. One day.

Your frustrations with gimmicky surround recordings are a large part of my general disdain for the formats. I rarely heard well recorded surround performances that used the rear channels only for ambience. Don't misunderstand, those type of recordings exist, I'm just not interested enough to seek them out.

Well, I also have several 4 & 5ch SACDs that are terrific, without the gimmickry.

There are good size catalogs of these, but they tend to be pricey. The fact remains that the vast majority of my classical collection is 2ch, as are my streaming options (Tidal, etc).

Later, when Dolby 5.1 and DTS came along, I gave it a brief re-trial. I thought that 5.1 (and 7.1 or 10.1 or whatever) was an even bigger gimmick than quad and while it's probably fine for home cinema (for which it was developed) I find it totally wrong for music on several levels. So, I stick to 2 channel stereo.

Yes, I too don't like any of the upmix formats. It seems that this must be near impossible for most to grasp, the "Surround" format I use and have shown here, is not like those at all. The fronts are the same exact 2 ch stereo you use. It's just the rears that are derived. They add an envelopment impossible with only 2 frontal channels...and this effect can be switched on or off with one button.

Here is one gent that actually comprehended, then tried it http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-design-installation/161626-son-off-college-dad-2-channel-room-3.html#post1556714

It is purely an "add on" to 2ch stereo like everyone uses. IMO, a very worthy one.

cheers,

AJ

2 hours ago, Ralph Glasgal said:

But you still need a 4.0 Ambiophonics system to play them on since you need to recover every bit of ITD and ILD on these discs and have proper pinna response to really grasp the exciting realism these discs offer.

All the photos of your demos appear to have a single line of people, typical shown here

ambiophonics.JPG

Why is that?

Where does the video screen go in a typical living room? How many positions on a sofa can one enjoy this?

Or is this for a purely dedicated listening room due to its limitations?

On 7/2/2017 at 6:29 PM, semente said:

With stereo playback, moving back and forth in a room greatly affects frequency response below 300Hz.

Does the same happen with your software?

See measurements here https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/32987-bacch-ambiophonics-etc/?page=2#comment-691440

Ralphs analysis would be nice, but it appears measurements will be mandatory for anyone attempting this with the MiniAmbio. Perhaps STalker could explain.

Some Klang Valley demo Ambiosonics videos 

3 minutes ago, Ralph Glasgal said:

There are demo surround tracks in the Ambiophonics.org archive but they are DTS 4.0 and so not for audiophiles and need four speakers minimum so again not for stereophiles. 

I'll have to check, but is DTS 4.0 an option with DTS capable AVPs/AVRs or is it proprietary?

The IsoMike stuff can be played with MCH SACD player

9 hours ago, Ralph Glasgal said:

DTS  CDs can be played on any standard CD player or similar track media player.  If the player has a decoder then you get 4.0 output.  If not then if it has a digital output you can use any DTS decoder.  Nothing proprietary.  Dolby made a fuss about 5.1 CDs but there are some also.  Yes I have an IsoMike SACD.  Unlike IsoMke cable co I am not a business and so CDs are all you get to prove a technical point.

I knew the CD format long ago allowed for 4ch, but I had never seen it implemented and was unaware there are disc players with DTS that can decode 4ch. Is there a particular model you are using? A cursory look found a DTS 4.1 spec, but not 4.0, which I assume is 4.1 minus the bass management (my preference anyway).

On 7/8/2017 at 0:46 PM, Ralph Glasgal said:

It gets even better with the four speakers if you use XTC so you can move them much closer in front and behind.  Much easier to place and the envelopment is much more audible.  The rears do not need to be the same as the fronts. Try it.  Miniambio charges less for two or you can use any of the other computer apps and plugins.  Read www.ambiophonics.org/Tutorials/Envelophonics.htm

I'm sure it does..for the one perso/persons in centerline "queue" in all your demo pics.

I'll stick with the ITU positions for envelopment over a much wider lateral area (like those things called "sofas"), in my non iso-ward living room, thanks.