Jump to content
jtwrace

Allo Sparky USBridge

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, pgbcincy said:

 

Hey Tommy,

 

I have not tried this as I don't own a LPS-1.2

 

FYI The standard connector size is on the LPS-1 (and 1.2 I assume) is a little different than the USBridge connector.  So you will need to build your own cable, have a adaptor, or buy a adaptor cable, ghentaudio comes to mind.  I have 2 LPS-1 in my system but they power the more downstream components of the chain.    

Thank you Paul.  I see that the USBridge as 2.5mm connector vs the 2.1mm that comes with the LPS1.2  With all my various DC power supplies and devices I have a whole bag full of adapters!

 

I am going to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a couple of LPS1.2 and see what happens.


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2018 at 12:37 PM, rahul_kc said:

@volpone

if you know linux commands and you have spare sd card , can flash eMMC without disassembling the box. Little care need to be taken.  refer below document.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/sparky_built-in_emmc_flash_from sd.pdf

 

 

Hi @rahul_kc

I didn't succeed to re-flash without disassembling eMMC according to your document.

 I've flashed the following image on the SD card via Etcher but Sparky still boot on eMMC:   

- Please confirm Sparky boot priority when both SD card and eMMC are used ?
- Other Linux image to to allow booting  from SD card ?   

However, ultimately i succeed to reflash after disassembling eMMC. It's quite easy and no problem with thermal pad.:D

Thank's.


ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've produced some sparky Gentoo-based images.
if anyone wants to try they are here
Unfortunately the description of the commands and some scripts are in Italian ... but I think they understand each other.

the software in use are:
Squeezelite-R2 (recommended for use on the PC "server" of LMS + C-3PO plug-in)
More info:

http://marcoc1712.it/?page_id=26

http://marcoc1712.it/?page_id=272

http://marcoc1712.it/?page_id=274

 

networkaudiod

Roon

MPD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had lots of problems with the USB bridge since i bought it. It sounds great when it works, but some of the updates makes the sound distored and noisy. When i got it, it would not run with the Emmc card. I got it to work with a sd card. Then suddenly the noise started after an update. I then switched back to use my HTPC for a while. 3 weeks ago i flashed the Emmc card with the newest Allo Dietpie, and it worked without any flaws. When i updated to V 6.4 today, the noise was back. I use it with Roon, but the same noise is there with the upnp player. I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital i use with the Bridge. Any advice is appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 8:28 AM, tboooe said:

Has anyone tried the USBridge with the Uptone LPS1.2?  Right now, I am powering both the Sparky and USBridge with my HDPlex linear power supply.  If I get an LPS1.2 then I would use it to power the USBridge separately from the Sparky.  Thank you.

Uptone says the LPS1.2 outputs only  1.1A - IIRC Sparky needs 3A and USBridge can use under 500mA .

 

Ghent Audio makes a nice split USB Cable for ~$40. But can't you use 2x5V sources from the HDPlex or use a split cable there?

Be interested to hear your experience with the Uptone if you go that route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PunkRiot said:

Are you using additional PSU with your DAC or you only use power over USB from USBRIDGE? 

I am using a ifi 5v power with the DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lobbster said:

Uptone says the LPS1.2 outputs only  1.1A - IIRC Sparky needs 3A and USBridge can use under 500mA .

 

Ghent Audio makes a nice split USB Cable for ~$40. But can't you use 2x5V sources from the HDPlex or use a split cable there?

Be interested to hear your experience with the Uptone if you go that route.

Right, I plan to use the LPS1.2 to power the ISBridge and my HDPlex to power the Sparky.  I am hoping that the LPS1;2 improves things over my HDPlex.  I guess its going to be a very expensive experiment, no the first one I've done in this whacky hobby over the years...:(


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Baldiman said:

I have had lots of problems with the USB bridge since i bought it. It sounds great when it works, but some of the updates makes the sound distored and noisy. When i got it, it would not run with the Emmc card. I got it to work with a sd card. Then suddenly the noise started after an update. I then switched back to use my HTPC for a while. 3 weeks ago i flashed the Emmc card with the newest Allo Dietpie, and it worked without any flaws. When i updated to V 6.4 today, the noise was back. I use it with Roon, but the same noise is there with the upnp player. I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital i use with the Bridge. Any advice is appreciated. 

Did you select the appropriate Soundcard in Dietpi GUI?  (then restart) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14-2-2018 at 1:09 PM, ambre said:

 

Today I have connected two SMPS power supplies. (1x IFI-Power and 1x standard Sparky; both with the so-called shunting technique by JSGT = John Swenson Grounding Tweak).  The JSGT trick is responsible for a huge lift in SQ. But connecting 2x SMPS & JSGT gives an additional lift in SQ …. marvelous.

 

Now using a Sbooster 5V, 1.5A  (=Lineair Power Supply) and  for the UsBridge and IFI Power 5V (=SMPS) for the Sparky.

Sounds better than above mentioned combination.

 

The IFI is shunted by means of JSSG. Ps. If you use a Switch Mode Power Supply than the JSSG grounding trick is absolute must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Baldiman said:

Lobbster. I have 2 options on choosing USB Dac. It used to be usb dac 1.1. I changed it back to Usb dac and did a restarted it. Now it works again.

Untitled-1.jpg

 

@Allo @Daniel Knight Is there anyway to automagically detect this setting?

Seems to have tripped a few of us up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tboooe said:

Right, I plan to use the LPS1.2 to power the ISBridge and my HDPlex to power the Sparky.  I am hoping that the LPS1;2 improves things over my HDPlex.  I guess its going to be a very expensive experiment, no the first one I've done in this whacky hobby over the years...:(

I'm expecting delivery tomorrow of a 200W HDPlex to go with my Legacy Wavelet Preamp. HDPlex is approved by Legacy Audio as an upgrade to the factory supplied SMPS. Also will use it to power my Netgear GS108 switch (uses a JSGT shunt) as it comes with a 5ft 2.5mm DC cable. That will eliminate all SMPS's in my room. I currently use a 50W Chinese R-Core LPS with a split cable on the Sparky/USBridge. I'll be able to play around with different configurations and see if I can hear improvements. I have the local Legacy rep coming over the following week to test some different cables. He really wants to see the USBridge in combination with the Wavelet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this has been asked before but i didnt see a real conclusive answer.  When i removed the J28 jumper, I am still able to power both the Sparky and USBridge through just the DC jack.  So when I use a micro usb to try and power the Sparky, how do I know where the power is coming from?  It seems the Sparky is still somehow electrically "connected" to the USBridge?  Would that seem to defeat the purpose of of separate power supplies?  Since I am able to power the Sparky from the DC jack with the jumper in place and removed, what exactly does removing do?


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tboooe said:

I know this has been asked before but i didnt see a real conclusive answer.  When i removed the J28 jumper, I am still able to power both the Sparky and USBridge through just the DC jack.  So when I use a micro usb to try and power the Sparky, how do I know where the power is coming from?  It seems the Sparky is still somehow electrically "connected" to the USBridge?  Would that seem to defeat the purpose of of separate power supplies?  Since I am able to power the Sparky from the DC jack with the jumper in place and removed, what exactly does removing do?

 

On 8/1/2017 at 2:25 AM, allo.com said:

The  question is why the USBridge is powering Sparky. Convenience.

 

  We do have a lot of filters between the 2 , both on common mode and differential noise .

 

However you can power them independently (best for sq) . Please refer to manual on how to change the jumper on board.

 

 

Not sure if that's what you mean. There's several posts around page 5 on the general subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

 

Not sure if that's what you mean. There's several posts around page 5 on the general subject.

Thank you...i saw those posts but I am still confused about the jumper.  Whats the point of leaving it in or removing it still allows you to power the Sparky through the DC input?  I would imagine that once you remove the jumper, the Sparky and USBridge become electrically separated.  How does the Sparky know its getting power from the DC input or from the micousb port?  Since both boards are not truly separated, are you really powering them separately when removing the jumper?


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tboooe said:

Thank you...i saw those posts but I am still confused about the jumper.  Whats the point of leaving it in or removing it still allows you to power the Sparky through the DC input?  I would imagine that once you remove the jumper, the Sparky and USBridge become electrically separated.  How does the Sparky know its getting power from the DC input or from the micousb port?  Since both boards are not truly separated, are you really powering them separately when removing the jumper?

 

Dear Allo Team,

What about galvanic separation. This is not possible if you use one power supply for both devices.

And if the UsBridge and Sparky are / remain connected to each other? Is there then a galvanic separation if, for example, you use the LP1 or 1.2 of Uptone Audio?

 

Please your reaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ambre said:

 

Dear Allo Team,

What about galvanic separation. This is not possible if you use one power supply for both devices.

And if the UsBridge and Sparky are / remain connected to each other? Is there then a galvanic separation if, for example, you use the LP1 or 1.2 of Uptone Audio?

 

Please your reaction

As such the 2 ground are connected together so we cannot claim galvanic isolation. With proper filtering and especially 2 PSUs , noise is reduced to undetectable levels so galvanic isolation is not needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lobbster said:

 

Not sure if that's what you mean. There's several posts around page 5 on the general subject.

2 PSU powering the 2 boards... noise from the first board will return to the source (first PSU) and noise from second board to the second PSU. Yes GDN is connected together but noise from one ground will decrease exponentially (if I remember correctly) with distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7-2-2018 at 9:06 PM, ambre said:

Hi Daniel & Rahul,

 

2) I have  noticed conflicts with HQ-player. There are two NAA programs/deamons running.  Sparky UsBridge and on Raspberry P3.  

Both on DietpI 6.4.  I can address only ONE HQ-player output device at once=>> thats the normal feature.   

 

But as soon I want to switch within HQ-player to another  NAA-device the control over the first DIEPTPI NAA-device is completely lost. And I cannot go back.

Dear Allo Team,

 

No of response of Allo / DietP Team. The same issue still  applicable with DiepPI 6.4 and older.

 

Also tested with the original HQ-Player NAA Distro 3.5.2 on Raspberry P3 and  UsBridge /Sparky DietPi 6.4.

 

IMO  DietPi and HQ-Player NAA give the same results/conflicts as using 2x  DietPi (same) versions at the same time.

 

When using original HQ-Player NAA's  software I can address several NAA 's at once.  And by means of the Network Audio Adapter Naming specify each device and or room. That I can only control via HQ-Player one NAA at a time is a fact. Because HQ-player does not (yet) support multiroom. And  In terms of upsampling this would require a lot more computing power too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, allo.com said:

2 PSU powering the 2 boards... noise from the first board will return to the source (first PSU) and noise from second board to the second PSU. Yes GDN is connected together but noise from one ground will decrease exponentially (if I remember correctly) with distance.

 

Please keep in mind that many us use the well-known JSSG shunting trick to ground the minus pole  of a SMPS (= Switching Mode Power Supply). What is usually not necessary for a linear power supply.  

 

I my case I use a Linear Supply (Sbooster 5v,1.5 amp) for the UsBridge  and IFO (SMPS)  Ifi-Power (5V/2.5A)   with a shunting for the Sparky. 

 

How to  proceed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ambre said:

 

Please keep in mind that many us use the well-known JSSG shunting trick to ground the minus pole  of a SMPS (= Switching Mode Power Supply). What is usually not necessary for a linear power supply.  

 

I my case I use a Linear Supply (Sbooster 5v,1.5 amp) for the UsBridge  and IFO (SMPS)  Ifi-Power (5V/2.5A)   with a shunting for the Sparky. 

 

How to  proceed?

You already have the correct connection. (as above)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allo.com said:

As such the 2 ground are connected together so we cannot claim galvanic isolation. With proper filtering and especially 2 PSUs , noise is reduced to undetectable levels so galvanic isolation is not needed

Thank you for the reply but I still do not understand what is happening when I remove the jumper.  If I can still power both the USBridge and Sparky through the DC input of the USBridge with the jumper removed, what is happening when I then supply power to the micro usb port of the Sparky?  Is the Sparky receiving power from both the USBridge and the micro usb port?  Is there some sort of switch that auto detects power on the micro usb and cuts power from the USBridge?  I must not be understanding something about this.


12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

 

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Thank you for the reply but I still do not understand what is happening when I remove the jumper.  If I can still power both the USBridge and Sparky through the DC input of the USBridge with the jumper removed, what is happening when I then supply power to the micro usb port of the Sparky?  Is the Sparky receiving power from both the USBridge and the micro usb port?  Is there some sort of switch that auto detects power on the micro usb and cuts power from the USBridge?  I must not be understanding something about this.

It will be easier to understand on the schematics. When you remove the jumper you can feed + rails while the gdn stays common.

 Whiteout the jumper removed the two rails share the same +

 

Yes Sparky can received power from both uUSB and Usbridge board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...