IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

3 minutes ago, volpone said:

Amazing  @pgbcincy succeed (without Gigabit Ethernet to USB3 adapter)

Agreed...its a shame because the USBridge does sound pretty good though I cannot do a more detailed comparison because of all the stutters.  

BTW, I love your speakers!  Its on my list to eventually get a pair of Harbeths for a second system.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just got mine installed and it's all working great (even after updating). However I have two questions:

1) What is the normal temp? Mine is running at 52C, which is "running warm, but safe". My RPi with a BOSS hat is only running at 40C, which is "optimum". This is not streaming/playing anything (idle except for my ssh), and the RPi is currently streaming via RAAT. 

2) When I type "alsamixer" at the command-line, I get "cannot open mixer: No such file or directory". That seems odd, is something misconfigured? It plays just fine. 

-mike

Does anyone know what the raspotify options file command is for setting up a Chord Mojo. I know my DAC name is Mojo but I've tried loads of variations of commands that have worked for other people but to no avail for me such as:

OPTIONS=“—device plughw:dacname”
The most annoying thing is that I had it working with a command I found online several months ago but had to reinstall but forgot to note this down! 

Help!! :)  

I dont know if this is related to why I cannot play DSD512 but when I try to add the USBridge as a Roon endpoint, I get an error that the device cannot be found, even though its listed in the Roon settings.  What does everyone think?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

19 hours ago, piripiri82 said:

Does anyone know what the raspotify options file command is for setting up a Chord Mojo. I know my DAC name is Mojo but I've tried loads of variations of commands that have worked for other people but to no avail for me such as:

OPTIONS=“—device plughw:dacname”
The most annoying thing is that I had it working with a command I found online several months ago but had to reinstall but forgot to note this down! 

Help!! :)  

I've sorted it! It turns out I had the correct command all along!! I just needed to reboot the Sparky instead of just restarting Raspotify.

So the my command looks like this:

OPTIONS="--device plughw:Mojo"

Phew!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 16.29.55.png

@Allo @Daniel Knight

Ok more tests on my quest to play DSD512 through the USBridge.  I decided to test a variety of network configurations with and without a USB-Gigabit adapter.  In my system, my preferred setup is a direct network connection from my HQP PC to the NAA.  Note that DSD256 plays fine in all network configurations described below.

Setup A - with USB-Gigabit adapter

Network configuration #1 - cat6a cable wired from a Dlink DAP-1650 wireless AC bridge to USB-Gigabit adapter

Result - FLAC files converted to DSD512 plays OK.  DSD64/128 files converted to DSD512 has a few dropouts per song.  I am not sure why FLAC files @ DSD512 plays consistently but DSD files @ DSD512 has issues.  Its the same datastream right?

Networks configuration #2 - cat6a cable wired from Dlink DAP-1650 wireless AC bridge to a Netgear GS105 switch, cat6a cable from switch to USB-Gigabit adapter

Result - Same results as Network Configuration #1, however DSD64/128 files converted to DSD512 plays a bit more reliably with fewer dropouts per song.

Setup B - with USB-Gigabit adapter, direct connection

Network configuration #3 - cat6a cable wired directly from a HQP PC Gigabit port  to USB-Gigabit adapter

Result - FLAC files converted to DSD512 has consistent dropouts.  DSD source files converted to DSD512 has a lot of dropouts

Networks configuration #4 - cat6a cable wired from HQP PC to a Netgear GS105 switch, cat6a cable from switch to USB-Gigabit adapter

Result - same result as Network Configuration #3 except DSD source files converted to DSD512 has fewer dropouts

Setup C - using Sparky 10/100 ethernet port

Network configuration #5 - cat6a cable wired from Dlink DAP-1650 wireless AC bridge to Sparky 10/100 port

Result - FLAC files converted to DSD512 has consistent dropouts.  DSD source files has more dropouts.

Network configuration #6 - cat6a cable wired from Dlink DAP-1650 wireless AC bridge to a Netgear GS105 switch, cat6a cable from switch to USBridge ethernet port

Result - same as Network Configuration #5

Setup D - using Sparky 10/100 ethernet port, direct connection

Network configuration #7 - cat6a cable wired directly from a HQP PC Gigabit port  to USBridge 10/100 ethernet port

Result - FLAC files converted to DSD512 has consistent dropouts.  DSD source files has more dropouts.

Network configuration #8 - cat6a cable wired from HQP PC to a Netgear GS105 switch, cat6a cable from switch to USBridge ethernet port

Result - same as Network Configuration #7

Summary - so it seems the only way I can play DSD512 is to use a USB-Gigabit adapter and the addition of the switch seems to play DSD source files more reliably.  Oddly, a direct connection from my HQP PC to the USB-Gigabit adapter with and without the switch made things worse.  Using my windows based NAA with a gigabit ethernet port connected directly to my HQP PC, I have no issues playing DSD512.

Conclusion - I have no idea how people are able to play DSD512 using the Sparky 10/100 ethernet port.  The USB-Gigabit adapter does not seem to be the answer either since it cant seem to play DSD source files reliably.  Its a shame really, because listening to the USBridge playing DSD256 files, I was very impressed with the additional nuance I was able to hear.  I guess the search continues for a  very good decently price endpoint that can play DSD512.  Maybe I have to bite the bullet and get something the UltraRendu to SMS Ultra?

Other components:

@tboooe

I have  successfully been using USBridge with ROON-HQP-dsd 512 for a few months now. Similar set up I7 computer-Netgear 108- fmc-fmc-singxer Su1-Lks Da004

In contrast I chased the same issues you are discovering for almost a year with both a micro rendu, ultra rendu and SMS 200, I then switched to the Usbridge and it’s worked flawlessly. Around the same time Sonore came out with an update and I made some changes to my Hqp settings and was able to get both the Ultra Rendu and Micro Rendu playing Hqp Dsd 512 at that point. 

(Upsampling through Roon to Dsd 512 was never an issue with any unit) 

I decided to keep the Usbridge to these other units. 

Im not sure if it’s related but the solution for the Rendu's seemed to be turning the max volume down to -6db and the delay back up to 50ms in HQP. Again though these settings didn’t cause an issue for the Usbridge and with an update from Sonore around the same time I can’t be certain it was the issue. 

My my understanding is upsampling the higher Rez dsd rates is far more consuming then upsampling pcm -Dsd or Lower Rez Dsd. So with that thought are you potentially maxing out your computer doing the upsampling?

Not sure if any of that will help but I would have tried anything at that point. Hopefully it is just some settings. 

32 minutes ago, Allander said:

@tboooe

I have  successfully been using USBridge with ROON-HQP-dsd 512 for a few months now. Similar set up I7 computer-Netgear 108- fmc-fmc-singxer Su1-Lks Da004

In contrast I chased the same issues you are discovering for almost a year with both a micro rendu, ultra rendu and SMS 200, I then switched to the Usbridge and it’s worked flawlessly. Around the same time Sonore came out with an update and I made some changes to my Hqp settings and was able to get both the Ultra Rendu and Micro Rendu playing Hqp Dsd 512 at that point. 

(Upsampling through Roon to Dsd 512 was never an issue with any unit) 

I decided to keep the Usbridge to these other units. 

Im not sure if it’s related but the solution for the Rendu's seemed to be turning the max volume down to -6db and the delay back up to 50ms in HQP. Again though these settings didn’t cause an issue for the Usbridge and with an update from Sonore around the same time I can’t be certain it was the issue. 

My my understanding is upsampling the higher Rez dsd rates is far more consuming then upsampling pcm -Dsd or Lower Rez Dsd. So with that thought are you potentially maxing out your computer doing the upsampling?

Not sure if any of that will help but I would have tried anything at that point. Hopefully it is just some settings. 

So you are able to play DSD512 without having to use a USB-Ethernet adapter?

My computer seems to be fine playing DSD source files converted to DSD512.  CPU load is about 50%.  I am able to play DSD512 without any issues using a windows based PC acting as NAA.

Other components:

3 minutes ago, tboooe said:

So you are able to play DSD512 without having to use a USB-Ethernet adapter?

My computer seems to be fine playing DSD source files converted to DSD512.  CPU load is about 50%.  I am able to play DSD512 without any issues using a windows based PC acting as NAA.

Correct, no USB - Ethernet adaptor, Allo had literally just started offering them after  I had added the Usbridge. 

A friend of mine bought the unit first, he had my micro rendu at the time to see if he  could get a different result. Same issues in his system. When the Usbridge functioned at dsd 512 in his system through Hq player, I bought one. 

We both continue to have the same results, no adaptors. 

It was shortly after this that the update came out and I got a reply from Sonore and on their recommendation changed some Hq settings. 

Does Roon upsampling to Dsd 512 work? 

I didn’t have an issue here. 

Have you tried changing any of the settings in Hq player? 

I had the buffer turned all the way up thinking this would help and initially had max volume set to -3db. 

- buffer time to 50ms and max volume -6db along with the update from Sonore and both the Ultra Rendu and Micro Rendu(still at my friends place) would play no problem. 

Computer direct also worked for me. 

At the time I was using a Gustard X20 pro, it was questionable weather it would actually do Dsd 512 or not as it won’t display the correct sample rate. 

Computer direct seemed the best way to rule all other variables out and just listen for the difference. 

24 minutes ago, Allander said:

Does Roon upsampling to Dsd 512 work? 

I didn’t have an issue here. 

Have you tried changing any of the settings in Hq player? 

I had the buffer turned all the way up thinking this would help and initially had max volume set to -3db. 

Computer direct also worked for me. 

At the time I was using a Gustard X20 pro, it was questionable weather it would actually do Dsd 512 or not as it won’t display the correct sample rate. 

Computer direct seemed the best way to rule all other variables out and just listen for the difference. 

I cant add the USBridge to Roon.  Even though its listed in the Audio settings when I try to enable it I get a Device not found error.  Odd since the USBridge is listed as an endpoint. Not sure whats happening here.

I've tried all sorts of things with HQP and I think I stumbled on something.  As long as my total cpu utilization in my HQP pc is less than around 40%, I dont have any issues with the USBridge.  For example, if I set HQP to DSD256 but use a non -2s filter like poly-sinc-short-mp which results in a CPU utilization of 31% there are no issues.  But if I pick a filter like poly-sinc-xtr-mp which causes CPU utilization to be about 55% I get stuttering.  So it seems the issue perhaps isnt the USBridge ethernet port?  This is really odd because using my windows based NAA, I have no issues regardless of the CPU utilization.  I am really perplexed now.

Other components:

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

But if I pick a filter like poly-sinc-xtr-mp which causes CPU utilization to be about 55% I get stuttering. 

Hey Tommy, I tried poly-sinc-xtr-mp with DSD256, no issues BUT when I try that HQP setting with DSD512; I get stuttering.  What I also notice was my Network throughput dropped from 45-50 Mbps (normal range) with DSD512 to 30-35 Mbps.  Like you stated CPU goes up too but I would think the issue is the drop in Network speed that coincides with it.

Sparky SBC/USBridge (HDPlex) –> Uptone ISO Regen(Uptone LPS-1) -> Singxer SU-1(Uptone LPS-1)/Holo Audio Spring –> Cary Audio SLP-05 –> Electrocompaniet AW180 Mono Blocks –> Martin Logan Summit X

44 minutes ago, pgbcincy said:

Hey Tommy, I tried poly-sinc-xtr-mp with DSD256, no issues BUT when I try that HQP setting with DSD512; I get stuttering.  What I also notice was my Network throughput dropped from 45-50 Mbps (normal range) with DSD512 to 30-35 Mbps.  Like you stated CPU goes up too but I would think the issue is the drop in Network speed that coincides with it.

Thank you for trying that.  Curious, do you have Turbo enabled on your HQP PC?  I do not but was wondering if that may be the difference between your setup and mine since our system is very similar in a lot of other aspects.

Your observation about the speed dropping is interesting.  When I use poly-sinc-xtr-mp the speed drops to 15-20mbps while poly-sinc-short-mp the speed is 22-26mbps.  So it seems  that the more CPU is used, the network speed drops resulting in stuttering.  I think that must be whats happening with me but what I really dont understand is why I am able to play DSD512 using the USB-Gigabit adapter and only when I do not use a direct connection to my HQP pc?  Man this is beginning to make my hear hurt.  I just want to listen to great sounding music!!!!!

Other components:

@tboooe @pgbcincy : Thank you for your investigations.

Did you tried to stream DSD512 with a very basic setup (without Singxer & Regen and using ROON vs HQPlayer as DSP engine) ? Such a setup is lighter server side but has same Ethernet and USB bandwdith requirements (45 - 50 mbps i presume) ?

From your reports seems not clear where is the bottleneck with DSD512:

- Server ressources 

- Sparky limitation on Ethernet and/or USB bandwidth ( I remember some remarks from ALLO about Ethernet issue at around 50 mbps, so they recommend to use Ethernet to USB3 adapter).

From my side i'm unable to test > DSD128 due to my DAC FW limitation.

As you know DSD128 (and DSD256 from your reports) is perfectly stable on USBridge with NAA and Roonbridge.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

@volpone admittingly I am not sure whats happening.  On one hand, it seems the USB-Gigabit adapter seems to make playing DSD512 possible with FLAC source files.  However, with DSD source files it still has drop outs.  But I think this be an issue on the server side as both pgbcincy and I noticed a decrease in network send rates with higher cpu usage which could be causing the drop outs.  I further tested this theory comparing send rates for FLAC and DSD source files at DSD256.  At lower cpu usage (<40%), the send rates do not change for FLAC or DSD source files like it did at higher cpu usage (>40%).  

So where does this leave us?  I have no idea.  Some evidence seems to point to the USBridge 10/100 port being the issue which other evidence shows the server network send rates causing the drop outs.  Perhaps its combination of both, at least for me.  Maybe I need to enable turbo boost?

Other components:

16 minutes ago, tboooe said:

admittingly I am not sure whats happening.  On one hand, it seems the USB-Gigabit adapter seems to make playing DSD512 possible with FLAC source files.

Could you be more specific on FLAC and DSD source format and on the results: No glitches and dropouts at all with FLAC or only less ?

Did you fixed your issue to add USBridge endpoint to ROON and tried Roonbrige VS NAA ? 

Note: Just in case, did you killed HQPlayer before adding USBridge (Roonbridge) as endpoint.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

35 minutes ago, volpone said:

Could you be more specific on FLAC and DSD source format and on the results: No glitches and dropouts at all with FLAC or only less ?

Did you fixed your issue to add USBridge endpoint to ROON and tried Roonbrige VS NAA ? 

Note: Just in case, did you killed HQPlayer before adding USBridge (Roonbridge) as endpoint.

I can play any kind of FLAC file without any issues using the USB-Gigabit adapter.  

Thank you for that pointer on shutting down HQP first before adding the USBridge to Roon.  I was able to do that and play DSD512 through the USBridge without any issues.  All formats worked, FLAC, DSD, Tidal.  However, after 22 seconds Roon would stop playing though.  Not sure whats causing that but thats a different issue.

So we now have established Roon can play DSD512 through the USBridge.  The one difference I noticed was the lower CPU usage using Roon (27%).  This makes me think the inverse CPU usage/ethernet send rate relationship with HQP is causing the problem, though I have no idea how to fix that other than getting a new CPU.

Other components:

27 minutes ago, tboooe said:

can play any kind of FLAC file without any issues using the USB-Gigabit adapter.

Good point ! 

This corroborates what ALLO recommends for hight bitrate DSD streaming: Use Gigabit Ethernet to USB3 adapter. However, it seems that some users can do without ( @pgbcincy , @Allander ...). Amazing !

So we now have established Roon can play DSD512 through the USBridge.  The one difference I noticed was the lower CPU usage using Roon (27%).  This makes me think the inverse CPU usage/ethernet send rate relationship with HQP is causing the problem, though I have no idea how to fix that other than getting a new CPU.

To be confirmed but i agree. Seems a server side ressources issue with HQPlayer.

However, after 22 seconds Roon would stop playing though.  Not sure whats causing that but thats a different issue.

Strange ! 

So ROON (with RoonBridge) stops after 22 seconds. If ROON not crashed, what happens if you hit play again:  ROON plays next 22 seconds from current track / track is reloaded and played again (for 22s) from beginning / other behavior  ?  No warning or error message from ROON UI ?

Setup details

14 minutes ago, volpone said:

Strange ! 

So ROON (with RoonBridge) stops after 22 seconds. If ROON not crashed, what happens if you hit play again:  ROON plays next 22 seconds from current track / track is reloaded and played again (for 22s) from beginning / other behavior  ?  No warning or error message from ROON UI ?

After 22 seconds, the next song will play, then after 22 second it stops, and the cycle continues for all the songs in the playlist.  If I only choose 1 song to play, after 22 seconds it stops.  Roon shows an error that the song is taking too long to load which is odd since I've never had any issues like this using HQP.  I will post this question at the Roon forum so as not to clutter this thread.

Other components:

17 minutes ago, volpone said:

Good point ! 

This corroborates what ALLO recommends for hight bitrate DSD streaming: Use Gigabit Ethernet to USB3 adapter. However, it seems that some users can do without ( @pgbcincy , @Allander ...). Amazing !

However, this just makes no sense.  Using Roon, I have proven the USBridge can handle data streams in the 40mbps range.  Why does the USB-Gigabit adapter work and not the ethernet port?  From the server side, nothing changes from the standpoint of cpu usage or data rate.  Perplexing indeed.

Other components:

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

However, this just makes no sense.  Using Roon, I have proven the USBridge can handle data streams in the 40mbps range.  Why does the USB-Gigabit adapter work and not the ethernet port? 

ALLO (Johan i think) had technical explanations about USBridge native Ethernet port  limitation,  but i'm unable to retrieve his post.

@ALLOaudio  ?

Setup details

13 hours ago, tboooe said:

Curious, do you have Turbo enabled on your HQP PC?

Sadly, I have no idea.  I haven’t changed anything from the manufacture settings and I don’t see any Turbo Features in BIOS, etc.

My days of overclocking went out the window post the 486DX and then Celeron 300A!  ?

@tboooe @volpone   Sounds like its time for a DietPi-BugReport and let the experts figure it out. 

BTW, I have the same issue with Roon DSD512; stops after so many seconds playing BUT this has happend in the past for me with other NAA points owned; microRendu.  I have always preferred HQP filter’s sound to Roon’s so I never pursued the reasons.    

Sparky SBC/USBridge (HDPlex) –> Uptone ISO Regen(Uptone LPS-1) -> Singxer SU-1(Uptone LPS-1)/Holo Audio Spring –> Cary Audio SLP-05 –> Electrocompaniet AW180 Mono Blocks –> Martin Logan Summit X

55 minutes ago, pgbcincy said:

@tboooe @volpone   Sounds like its time for a DietPi-BugReport and let the experts figure it out. 

Sure,
Regarding DSD512 glitches i'm not sure this is a specific DietPi issue. There is a several components involved and not easy to sort out, reproduce, and diagnostic: 

- Server ressources

- Network infrastructure

- Allo HW (Sparky / USBridge)

- Roon / Roonbridge or HQPlayer / NAA 

- DAC FW 

The more user feedback and accurate report, the easier the understanding of the issue(s). Unfortunately not a lot DSD512 streaming users.

Setup details