IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

@jtwrace, you might want to check out these pdfs if you have not.   https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html#downloads  Follow the instructions on USBridge-DietPi-Installation-Config-Guide.pdf;  Once you flash, I believe you need to install the Roon software again via the guide.  

Sparky SBC/USBridge (HDPlex) –> Uptone ISO Regen(Uptone LPS-1) -> Singxer SU-1(Uptone LPS-1)/Holo Audio Spring –> Cary Audio SLP-05 –> Electrocompaniet AW180 Mono Blocks –> Martin Logan Summit X

5 hours LOL!  Nice day huh?  When I flashed the eMMC  and inserted, I had to reinstall but it I did it as a part of inital bootup.  Sounds like you have some previous direction you need to follow, that 'makes sense'... good luck!  Roon up and running at DSD256, now working on HQPlayer.

Sublime.jpg

Sparky SBC/USBridge (HDPlex) –> Uptone ISO Regen(Uptone LPS-1) -> Singxer SU-1(Uptone LPS-1)/Holo Audio Spring –> Cary Audio SLP-05 –> Electrocompaniet AW180 Mono Blocks –> Martin Logan Summit X

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Is the Allo a RoonReady endpoint or a RoonBridge endpoint?

RoonBridge.  

Dietpi.jpg

Roon.jpg

Good question about difference.  Reading on Roon's site, it seems like a certification, not sure of the technical differences as they both use RAAT.  Maybe Jesus can explain more as rendu's are RoonReady.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Ready 

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

"Roon Ready is the highest level of Roon integration available to partners, and means that Roon technology is actually customized for, and embedded into, their devices.

It's a designation given to audio player hardware products that have both implemented RAAT, and have been certified by Roon Labs for proper implementation. For more details on what RAAT can provide, how it differs from other network streaming protocols, and the design philosophy behind it, please check out the RAAT page.)"

2 hours ago, Miska said:

What kind of loads does "top" show for the networkaudiod?

I've ran Native DSD512 NAA without issues this weekend using the new Dietpit Sparky Stretch image posted on 9/9.  CPU for networkaudiod usage averages ~33%.  Prior to this image I did have hesitation on playback HQplayer DSD512 playback.  I'm using RoonServer with HQplayer as my player.  I am having issues with Roon alone at DSD512.  It will play for 10 seconds and then die.  I had the same behavor with my uRendu so I doubt this is USBridge realted.  I prefer HQplayer, so I really had no reason to troubleshoot this.

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I'd rather use HQPlayer too.  Is the build number for your sparky release v155 ?

Yes, this Sparky release is v155.  

@allo.com

What is the difference between the images out there?  DietPi_SparkySBC-armv7-(Stretch)-USB_ETH-ROON_AUTO vs. DietPi_SparkySBC-armv7-(Stretch)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rickca said:

Can I replace my microRendu with an Allo Sparky USBridge and run pretty much the same way I do today with  BubbleUPnP/MinimServer/MPD and HQPlayer/NAA?  Is the sound quality comparable?  Are the same DAC's supported for native DSD512?

MPD, NAA, RAAT/Roon Bridge, and other software can be added and loaded.  In this regard, yes it is a similar device as the mRendu.  I believe you need to select the Dietpi OS version for Roon and NAA.

The software interface is not as user friendly as Sonicorbitor at this point.  In order to flash the new OS, I need to remove the eMMC chip and flash the update manually.  I suppose those more in the know on Debian OS wouldn’t have to do this….  They are working on a more user-friendly update procedure.  

You need RDP to access USBridge on your network… at least this is what I need to do with all my Window based systems.  I image at some time you might be able to access via IP address but not sure.

With Roon, its seems to work well but I have not spend that much time there because I prefer HQplayer to Roon. With Roon/HQplayer/NAA, there is still work to do.  The unit will hang in certain scenarios. Typically, you can get it back with a few work arounds but its not optimum.  It will need to get fixed.  They are actively working this.     

I have been able to play DSD512 on Roon/HQplayer/NAA Singxer SU-1/Holo Audio Spring and I’m really enjoying the music through this thing.  I owned a microRendu for years and recently sold before purchasing the Allo USBridge.  I find myself using PCM384 more with the USBridge.  I preferred DSD with the mRendu.   

I was on my way to purchase the uRendu but got sidetracked ….  Once Allo/Dietpi address the minor glitches, it’s a no brainer… its defiantly a “Bang for you buck” item….   

On 9/20/2017 at 4:19 AM, allo.com said:

The auto upgrade will be done before the end of the week.

Hi @allo.com,  Any updates on the auto upgrade?  Also, can you please describe what the "auto upgrade" means to the upgrade process?   I know what I assume it means.... :-)  But can you elaborate some?  TIA!

2 hours ago, allo.com said:

v156 released, users can update with:
dietpi-update

Perfect, assumptions confirmed!   Thank you!

@jtwrace,  I read this as ....  going to v156, using the last image with v155, you can use dietpi-update function vs. image flash.  Dietpi-update did upgrade me to v156… but good idea to get confirmation from @allo.com

Unfortunately, none of the Change Log notes indicate it will address my current issues with HQplayer… and they are still there.  

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Allander said:

However I continue to run into a function problem when selecting a track, skipping a track or a new band in Roon library where the new track will not play and eventually I get an amber message on the Roon remote

Hi Allander, I have had the same issue with using HQPlayer /Roon combination.  Until recently, it used to just hang without error.  I believe a Roon update has this condition now resulted in the error notice “Transport: Roon lost control of the audio device.”  This is better than just hanging but still annoying!  I haven’t noticed this  occuring with Roon alone but I prefer HQplayer’s upsampling/filters to Roon.  Usually by hitting play again on the different song or album, it starts up again.   I didn’t have this issue with microRendu nor my Windows Pro Fanless NUC. using HQPlayer NAA with both units.  This is my only outstanding issue with USBridge.   I think it sounds great and better than the NUC!   

@Allander  I'm with you about Roon Radio feature being lost with this issue.   My hunch its a Dietpi and HQplayer handshake issue as it doesnt happen with Roon alone but what do I know....  I'm hoping Dan @Daniel Knight can sprinkle some of his magic pixie dust and make it go away!  

2 hours ago, Daniel Knight said:

If you have experienced an issue with your USBbridge + DietPi, please complete the following to send us a "Bug Report":

Hey Dan, sent.  Not hard to recreate, it happens everytime for me.

On 11/4/2017 at 11:19 AM, Daniel Knight said:

Do you happen to remember the unique ID code generated during the bug report? We can use this to find it in our database

Sorry about that... ad52fc1d-2319-4a39-bf73-68531be6ac74-0 

8 hours ago, Antoxx said:

Need your advice, fellows!

Hi Antoxx,

To me, the USBridge and ISO Regen is like Apple Pie and Ice Cream… not Apples to Apples products.

If you want to use your PC USB, then you would use ISO Regen.  If you want to use your PC’s Ethernet or  on your network, then you use USBridge.    

USBridge is media designed microcomputer that allows you to remove your noisy PC in your audio system’s chain by accepting audio streams from several digital sources from your PC through your network.

ISO Regen is placed in between your computer and audio system to isolate and improve the USB digital signal sent by your PC.

I’ve used the a Regens in my systems for years now, I love what they do so I use it with my USBridge.

In my Audio system:

USBridge > PC

PC/ISO Regen >  PC

USBridge/ISO Regen >  USBridge

PC/ISO Regen >?< USBridge, not sure… but I like my Apple Pie with Ice cream so I have both.  

5 hours ago, occamsrazor said:

Thank you, thought so but just wanted to be sure.

5 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

It's pick one......

Its different than Sonicorbitor (uRendu/mRendu) software where you pick one to run at a time (If I recall thats how it was setup).  With DietPi/Allo GUI you can have several services running so you do not need to change that selection on your UBBridge to use a different application.  Roon in one room, NAA in another without needing to reconfigurre the USBridge.  Of course you only select one path at one time.

Hi @ambre,

Yes, you can use USBridge as an NAA endpoint and many other interfaces such as Roon. 

There was a minor glitch with HQplayer and it stop playing when you would go to the next track.  You will see it mentioned by myself and others in this thread.  Today, @Daniel Knight released v158 which appears to address this issue!!  This is a great sounding endpoint!  I've used several PC configurations and mRendu.... and with this last fix in...

USBridge is a steal for the wonderful sound I'm getting!

20 minutes ago, Allander said:

However this has not restored my sound from when I first updated to v157. 

Hi Allander,

I didn’t have the issue with v158 upgrade but a couple past image updates I would have issues with no sound but everything else would appear fine.

To get it back, I uninstalled ALSA and reinstalled it while in Dietpi root.  

I used Dietpi-Software: 

Dietpi-Software ->  Software Additional -> Unselect ALSA: Linix Sound System ->  Exit Software Additional -> Uninstall

Reboot

Dietpi-Software ->  Software Additional -> Select ALSA: Linix Sound System ->  Exit Software Additional -> Install

Reboot

You may want to wait for Dan or Loan but this worked for me twice with the no sound issue. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, tboooe said:

I see that the Ethernet port is receiving data at a rate of 43-50mbps when I play DSD512. 

Hey Tommy, my rate is between 46-50 and I play DSD512 fine.  I dont think that is the issue.   

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

But if I pick a filter like poly-sinc-xtr-mp which causes CPU utilization to be about 55% I get stuttering. 

Hey Tommy, I tried poly-sinc-xtr-mp with DSD256, no issues BUT when I try that HQP setting with DSD512; I get stuttering.  What I also notice was my Network throughput dropped from 45-50 Mbps (normal range) with DSD512 to 30-35 Mbps.  Like you stated CPU goes up too but I would think the issue is the drop in Network speed that coincides with it.

13 hours ago, tboooe said:

Curious, do you have Turbo enabled on your HQP PC?

Sadly, I have no idea.  I haven’t changed anything from the manufacture settings and I don’t see any Turbo Features in BIOS, etc.

My days of overclocking went out the window post the 486DX and then Celeron 300A!  ?

@tboooe @volpone   Sounds like its time for a DietPi-BugReport and let the experts figure it out. 

BTW, I have the same issue with Roon DSD512; stops after so many seconds playing BUT this has happend in the past for me with other NAA points owned; microRendu.  I have always preferred HQP filter’s sound to Roon’s so I never pursued the reasons.    

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tboooe said:

Has anyone tried the USBridge with the Uptone LPS1.2?  Right now, I am powering both the Sparky and USBridge with my HDPlex linear power supply.  If I get an LPS1.2 then I would use it to power the USBridge separately from the Sparky.  Thank you.

Hey Tommy,

I have not tried this as I don't own a LPS-1.2

FYI The standard connector size is on the LPS-1 (and 1.2 I assume) is a little different than the USBridge connector.  So you will need to build your own cable, have a adaptor, or buy a adaptor cable, ghentaudio comes to mind.  I have 2 LPS-1 in my system but they power the more downstream components of the chain.