fresponse

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

On 6/4/2020 at 9:43 AM, rbaker said:

First point is I have a 10’x11’x10’ dedicated listening room. Not ideal.  I run Magnepan MMGs, Schiit amp, pre and dac and a REL T5i sub.

Similar room size here, though I can open large sliding doors behind the listening position into the rest of the house.

What about speaker positions - maggies & sub? How did you optimise this before measurements? Did Thierry suggest anything for that?

elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>macmini(16gb ram-ssd-clones psu-mmk)[hd(psu)]>netgear gs105>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(lps1.2)(uptone smps)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu(lps1.2)(js-2 split)>uspbc>iso regen(lps-1)(js-2 split)>curious link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2xnaq12” passive subs.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Similar room size here, though I can open large sliding doors behind the listening position into the rest of the house.

What about speaker positions - maggies & sub? How did you optimise this before measurements? Did Thierry suggest anything for that?

I had my setup in what I found to be the best position before I sent the files to Thierry. I didn’t ask for setup advice but I did tell him what I was working with. The maggies are tricky to position and the distance from the front wall (37”) and toe-in took about 6 months of listening and adjusting. At this point the sound doesn’t come from the speakers but from behind and across. The imaging only slightly improved with the filters with better integration of the upper frequencies. The sub ended up between the speakers vs REL’s recommendation of a corner. I tried for the lowest crossover frequency and the least amount of gain. Thierry took out a room mode/node. The opening you have Into another room should help.

Thanks for this. Yes, I’ve been tinkering mainly with position of 2x subs - they’re now almost beside the front Elacs. I keep wondering if Thierry’s adjustments - when I bite that bullet! - might work better with the subs elsewhere ...

elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>macmini(16gb ram-ssd-clones psu-mmk)[hd(psu)]>netgear gs105>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(lps1.2)(uptone smps)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu(lps1.2)(js-2 split)>uspbc>iso regen(lps-1)(js-2 split)>curious link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2xnaq12” passive subs.

Room Shaper is an audio plugin, so a piece of software that is inserted into the audio reproduction chain to modify the digital signal. The processing is different from filtering and so can't be converted into filters.

You can use Room Shaper directly with audio players like Audirvana, JRiver and Foobar as they accept external DSP plugins (the processing is quite demanding so a computer based solution is required - like a server / player configuration)

Roon is not offering the option to load external DSP modules but there are some different workarounds for Mac or Windows,

Thierry

On 6/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, agillis said:

Looks like this is Mac or Windows only. Not sure how it could be used with sonicorbiter.

I hope you and @fresponse are able to find a solution and adding this audio plugin to SonicTransporter. Maybe even @Miska can help, if he where interested in offering this as a service, or assist with his knowledge and support SGC ? 

I have no idea how much work it will be to offer an external DSP module into either SonicTransporter and/or HQPlayer embedded. 

Maybe the SonicTransporter isn’t powerful enough? 

(Filters by HAF is already working with either HQPLAYER or Roon itself using the SonicTransporter, as you indicated). 

@fresponse

The reason for this request is of cause to avoid another computer into the digital playback chain. 

If for some reason it is impossible to use the SonicTransporter with Roon (and HQPlayer embedded) for the task, will then an extra NUC running Windows solve this, or is it basically meant to be used those specific audio players that’s accept external DSP modules ? (And the exclude Roon). 

Yes, the easiest solution would be an integration of my algorithm directly into Roon or HQP... and an i5 CPU is powerful enough to run Room Shaper plugin.

As workaround, you can use an extra NUC in your network using this topology :

Roon -> network streaming using the squeebox/UPnP tool -> NUC running Room Shaper plugin with Foobar has host -> UPnP network streaming -> renderer (endpoint)

Not really straightforward... but you can contact me to get the detailed procedure if you want to make a test.