IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

11 hours ago, marcusman said:

Thanks Jim, I didn't know this!  I like learning new things so gracious!  I do wish it was built into Roon however just to make things streamlined.  Anyway I'm a fan of what HAF is doing so I'd love to try it out except I don't own a Windows machine.

If you have any instructions on how to do this please post!  I'm somewhat adept technically

The original HAF creates convolution filters (text files) that can be added directly to the signal path in Roon; sounds like you're all already running that.

The new extension just announced sounds like a plug-in rather than a convolution filter file, because it's doing something non-standard that can't be boiled down to convolution files. So, if you want to try the new expansion after it is made available for Mac, I think you'll need something like Audio Hijack to get it to work. I have Audio Hijack in my system so I could use Dirac with Roon after the debacle that occurred when Mac OS was updated last fall, and I've also used it along with another piece of software to allow me to use HAF filters while listening to Amazon's new streaming service. That's the limit of my experience with it.

[edited to add: P.S. I noticed I had mistakenly identified HAF as a plugin in my signature line; I've fixed that! I didn't understand the terminology when I added that incorrect reference.]

23 hours ago, alandbush said:

Thanks for the reply.

VST host is VSTHost by Hermann Sieb, set to run with a sample rate of 96kHz.

I have other VST hosts I could try, such as PedalBoard and Cantabile.

I advise you to try a DAW as VST host (like Reaper) as I got as well some issues with VSTHost previously

12 hours ago, fresponse said:

I advise you to try a DAW as VST host (like Reaper) as I got as well some issues with VSTHost previously

I have configured Reaper similarly, if not exactly, like VSTHost.

I have left many, if not all, selectable options as the default.

Regrettably, the output audio results in the same earlier reported way, I.e. pumping/stuttering.

I’m looking forward to trying this and have a UMIK-1 mic on order.  I’ve never done any DSP or room/speaker correction so while waiting for the mic to arrive maybe I could ask about taking measurements and how to get the best results.  

As I understand it you want to take measurements from the sweet spot and then a few other nearby listening positions.  If you were after the very best sounding result for the sweet spot, wouldn’t measurements from other positions result in averaging that would make the result decent everywhere but less ideal for the sweet spot specifically?  Or is more data needed for this kind of correction to be effective?

thanks

5 hours ago, mdogbucket said:

I’m looking forward to trying this and have a UMIK-1 mic on order.  I’ve never done any DSP or room/speaker correction so while waiting for the mic to arrive maybe I could ask about taking measurements and how to get the best results.  

As I understand it you want to take measurements from the sweet spot and then a few other nearby listening positions.  If you were after the very best sounding result for the sweet spot, wouldn’t measurements from other positions result in averaging that would make the result decent everywhere but less ideal for the sweet spot specifically?  Or is more data needed for this kind of correction to be effective?

thanks

For Room shaper you can only measure listening position for left / right channel. The multi positions is for my DSP loudspeaker/room correction service.

9 hours ago, alandbush said:

I have configured Reaper similarly, if not exactly, like VSTHost.

I have left many, if not all, selectable options as the default.

Regrettably, the output audio results in the same earlier reported way, I.e. pumping/stuttering.

Ok, this should be linked to your configuration. I am not sure we can solve this issue but you can contact me at [email protected] to further dig into your case

10 hours ago, fresponse said:

For Room shaper you can only measure listening position for left / right channel. The multi positions is for my DSP loudspeaker/room correction service.

Ok, sorry I was referring to your DSP loudspeaker & room correction.  Just trying to understand if more data points than the sweet spot are needed for it to work or if someone was interested in the very best possible sound at only the sweet spot, would it be better not to have other location measurements.  Thanks

17 hours ago, mdogbucket said:

Ok, sorry I was referring to your DSP loudspeaker & room correction.  Just trying to understand if more data points than the sweet spot are needed for it to work or if someone was interested in the very best possible sound at only the sweet spot, would it be better not to have other location measurements.  Thanks

Yes the additional measurement positions are mandatory for phase (timing) correction. For levels correction I put more importance on the sweet spot measurement but consider as well the other ones to account for all possible slight variations (like head position)

FYI I have added Mac versions of the Room Shaper plugin here

I have made a revision of the Windows versions and added a standalone option that can be used as workaround for Roon users (see the tutorial available in the same directory, this option is valid if your DAC is directly connected to the PC running Roon)

2 hours ago, fresponse said:

I have made a revision of the Windows versions and added a standalone option that can be used as workaround for Roon users (see the tutorial available in the same directory, this option is valid if your DAC is directly connected to the PC running Roon)

I see the pdf with the appendix for perfoming impulse measurement, but not an explanation of how to use the standalone with Roon. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

36 minutes ago, firedog said:

I see the pdf with the appendix for perfoming impulse measurement, but not an explanation of how to use the standalone with Roon. 

it's the standalone_tutorial.pdf doc.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

An integrated Room Shaper solution with stream capture or configurable input (RAAT would be ideal) virtual device output and a host for the AU would be much preferred on Mac for those of us using Roon. I'd like to use this plugin, but configuration so far is proving quite difficult and not at all elegant. Add some development cost to a free standing application and I will pay more, since I will end up paying for a virtual cable application and an AU host. I'd like to be able to insert his between Roon and HQPlayer with minimal difficulty.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

I have not but compared them but, frankly, they are not comparable.  The DEQX system is quite different from most REQs because it first measures each speaker at a close, critical distance and corrects the near-field response of the speaker for FR and phase, apart from the room's influence.  After that, it requires a different set of measurements in order to correct for the room acoustics..  I found it to be remarkably effective.

I have no first-hand experience with Room Shaper.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I realize that there are some misunderstandings : Room Shaper is providing a new type of correction that can either be used

- alone, for the ones looking at minimal correction not impacting the whole audio signal (transients for instance) 

- in combination with a more standard correction (filters) you can get from my service or any alternative solution like DEQX, Dirac, Acourate, etc..

• 5 weeks later...

How are Room Shaper license owners finding its stability on Windows ?

I just can't get it to be stable. Plugin keeps crashing eventually every time. I can sometimes get it to work 2h straight, but end result is always the same, plugin crash.

Crashing is so random and I think I have tried everything there is to try. First I thought plugin crashes only when streaming content, but that's not the case after all. I had some email exchange with Thierry, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to figure out what the root cause is.

Some things I've tried:

- 2 different PC's (both very powerful, for example CPU's are 9900K and 4790K)

- Roon and directly via Tidal app

- Jriver, Audirvana, Foobar and standalone

- Buffers from SW players and DAC ASIO drivers

- 2 different DAC's

- WASAPI, ASIO and Kernel streaming

I really appreciate what the plugin can do in acoustically problematic rooms, but it's just unusable for me as it's just too annoying with this crashing issue...

7 hours ago, blue2 said:

Did you check for a memory leak? Resmon might help if you're on Windows 10.

Thanks for the tip, but doesn't seem to be a memory leak. Memory usage goes up by ~1% when I start playback via Jriver and doesn't really increase after that. Total memory usage is 25-27% at that point. 16GB of RAM.

• 4 weeks later...