IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

I've recently taken Thierry's service for room calibration and wanted to post a little review. This is my first post on here, but I'm not working for HAF, haven't had any payment or freebies. I just read about it here, took the trial and paid for the filters. It only seems reasonable to give some feedback.

I took the Excellence option with room correction and crosstalk correction.

Since my main setup has ended up in it's current location, I have always been annoyed with some room modes. It's a decent sized room with a good amount of heavy furnishing, but the listening position is not ideal. For various life-related reasons, that can't change. These room modes have always bothered me, and I've tried various EQ solutions and a few trials of Dirac, but never had something that sounded right. As soon as I read about it here, I REW-measured my room and had a couple of test files done - that was enough to convince to try the paid filters.

Room Correction Filter: 

This is a plain and simple massive improvement. Trying to quantify it is difficult. It's absolutely not a details change like cables, or DAC filter settings. Neither is it a speaker change, where the whole character of the system changes. It's more like going up a rung or two or three on the amplifier ladder, but from the same manufacturer. The character of the system doesn't change at all - which is a first for DRC to me - it just fixes the problems. Getting rid of these room modes is probably to me the single biggest upgrade possible in a decent level setup.

Crosstalk.

This is different - it's not just an improvement, as it has a bit of a feel of an effect. As standard, I would rather not use this - sometimes it sounded like certain instruments were in my head. However, Thierry was also able to make some filters with a reduced level of "effect". I did find that some of the in-room "feel" does drop a little as a result of getting rid of the room modes - a small amount of crosstalk reduction brings back that more enveloping soundstage, but in a controlled even handed way. It also, for reasons I don't exactly know, seems to make treble extremely easy, taking away any hint of hardness (already something I thought my system was pretty good for). There is still some downside, but in my case the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

Summary

If you can easily introduce filters into your playback chain, and don't have a professionally treated room, I genuinely cannot see why you wouldn't have HAF room correction filters running.

Try crosstalk reduction out. Thierry can tweak and change things, so there could well be a setting that you like. With some degree of this going on I have never had a more lifelike presentation in the room.

• 1 month later...

I have recently purchased the Crosstalk package from Home Audio Fedeltiy.  It has made the world of difference to my system.  My room is irregular with couches, coffee tables, windows and no carpeting.  All the things that hinder quality audio.  I now have a quality of sound that paid for with my stereo.  As I use Roon to process the filters I can turn the room correction on or off with ease while listening.  There is no comparison.  I have both the  Crosstalk and regular file set up and with the Crosstalk I get equal soundstage but a more spacious sound outside of the speakers.  The sound is centered with great imaging of sound.  Thierry walked me through the sweeps even though I am a non-techie.  If like me you do not have a dedicated listening room but have quality equipment the room correction is the single best improvement you can make.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently purchased the HAF solution (my word for it) and am thoroughly pleased with how it has improved the sound of my system. Especially the crosstalk correction. This feature alone might be enough to sell HAF to those who love vocals and spoken word recordings. And in general the correction that HAF provides is more limited than what I was doing with Dirac and therefore actually lets my speakers shine and express their sound in the way their creator planned

I realize  that the Dirac correction target was my own choice and that Dirac allows the user a great deal of discretion and freedom in how much and where to apply corrections 

Bottom line, the sound I got from Dirac was over controlled compared to what HAF is doing. Add in the crosstalk attenuation, and it's an easy decision for me.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, fresponse said:

Hi all, things have been moving slowly but I am now close to have a product. 

Would it be possible to use your new product with Roon?

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

8 hours ago, fresponse said:

Roon is not yet supporting external plugins but there are some workarounds like routing the output to a VST host or DAW. There are some examples on the Roon community.

Thank you for the information.  I look forward to learning more about your new product. 

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, fresponse said:

The Windows version of the "Room shaper" plugin is now available. Some infos and download link can be found here

So, a ‘filter’ to enhance room correction that’s already applied.

Intrigued by this development.

Unfortunately, it would appear my Windows 10 pro 64 bit pc cannot handle the cpu intensive processing.

Or, could it be my VST host or USB attached interface cannot specify a buffer large enough to handle the 1.5 second processing buffer?

The cpu is 2.4 ghz with 4gb ram.

I am using VST Host linked with a RME Digiface.  The maximum latency buffer is 4096 samples.

What I hear with the plugin, active or bypassed, is audio but with a stuttering or pumping(?).  This stuttering reduces when increasing both buffers but the the maximum buffer size is reached before it is removed.

I wonder if you could provide details of a Windows based system that can run your plugin successfully.

btw - I have another Windows 10 pro 64 bit machine with an i7-7700HQ cpu at 2.8 ghz 16gb ram but it’s not currently setup to perform audio playback.

Thanks Jim, I didn't know this!  I like learning new things so gracious!  I do wish it was built into Roon however just to make things streamlined.  Anyway I'm a fan of what HAF is doing so I'd love to try it out except I don't own a Windows machine.

If you have any instructions on how to do this please post!  I'm somewhat adept technically

12 hours ago, alandbush said:

So, a ‘filter’ to enhance room correction that’s already applied.

Intrigued by this development.

Unfortunately, it would appear my Windows 10 pro 64 bit pc cannot handle the cpu intensive processing.

Or, could it be my VST host or USB attached interface cannot specify a buffer large enough to handle the 1.5 second processing buffer?

The cpu is 2.4 ghz with 4gb ram.

I am using VST Host linked with a RME Digiface.  The maximum latency buffer is 4096 samples.

What I hear with the plugin, active or bypassed, is audio but with a stuttering or pumping(?).  This stuttering reduces when increasing both buffers but the the maximum buffer size is reached before it is removed.

I wonder if you could provide details of a Windows based system that can run your plugin successfully.

btw - I have another Windows 10 pro 64 bit machine with an i7-7700HQ cpu at 2.8 ghz 16gb ram but it’s not currently setup to perform audio playback.

What kind of VST host are you using ? do you have upsampling ? I have done some testing with similar computer resources as yours w/o issues up to 192 kHz

2 hours ago, fresponse said:

What kind of VST host are you using ? do you have upsampling ? I have done some testing with similar computer resources as yours w/o issues up to 192 kHz

Thanks for the reply.

VST host is VSTHost by Hermann Sieb, set to run with a sample rate of 96kHz.

I have other VST hosts I could try, such as PedalBoard and Cantabile.