IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

4 minutes ago, fresponse said:

It would be interesting to have measurements of your loudspeakers because I have never seen pure linear phase ones.

I might be able to provide that to you for free. ;)

What types of measurements with what sort of hardware and software would you be looking for?  (It may be the case I don’t have them available, but I thought I would ask.)

4 minutes ago, fresponse said:

Nevertheless if there is no phase issue to correct then the DSP will not change anything and you should not have any bad impact on imaging. By curiosity which type of software have you tested ?

iZotope SRC 64-bit included with Audirvana Plus; HQPlayer; Audiophile Inventory; SoX.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, fresponse said:

Just to be clear when I said "optimal" I didn't mean "flat" : as you said optimal refer more to what will sound natural in your listening environment. Looking forward to your measurements !

Understood, that's why I said 'optimal, flat', meaning optimal and flat, as opposed to optimal and (house-)curved, which I may want to try later :)

Just sent you the measurements. Looking forward to trying out the filters!

• 1 month later...

Does Thierry offer a service wherein he comes to your room to evaluate the final result, so that he confirms that his program is delivering as well as it can?

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Does Thierry offer a service wherein he comes to your room to evaluate the final result, so that he confirms that his program is delivering as well as it can?

Of course, I doubt it.  OTOH, it might be interesting if he accepted new post-EQ REW measurement files for assessment.   

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Such in situ service (measurements / calibration / validation) would be possible in theory but certainly at a prohibitive cost to cover travel expenses. Validation with post EQ measurements is of course possible but usually the results are very similar to the simulation and this is why I considered it as optional.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:26 PM, fresponse said:

Those convolvers are not compatible with our technology because there are of "one to one" type : this means that left channel is convolved with a filter and send to left output. Same goes for the right channel. What we need is left channel convolved with 2 different filters with respective output sent to left & right channel. This is why I mentioned the butterfly plugin which offer such flexibility (a filter set = 4 different filters)

I am using SIR2 with JRiver with 16 stereo IRs (i.e 32 channels fed to 16 speakers) and it is capable of true stereo convolution. 

Danold, if you're question is about how to make required measurements please find below some instructions.

As an introduction to REW software, there is a good and simple tutorial available here  https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

Once you have set the level (by using left loudspeaker for instance) you'll have to keep it for all the different sweep measurements.

From a practical point of view I suggest to follow this procedure:

- set the microphone at the sweet spot position

- set the level using the left loudpseaker

- perform the sweep measurement for this position & left loudspeaker and rename it L1

- perform measurement for this position but right loudspeaker this time, rename it R1

- move microphone to the next position & perform the measurements for right then left loudspeaker, name it R2 & L2

- repeat the procedure for the others different positions (I recommend sweet spot + 4 others as a minimum)

- save the bundle of measurements as a .mdat file

Hope it will help,

Thierry

Thierry

I really like the idea of using your expertise via HAF to produce the required filters, and then it should be simple enough to upload into Roon.

I haven't done any sound measurements before (I do have a copy of REW, and a UMIK-1 mic), but am worried that I may not do the best job of taking the measurements, which would limit the effectiveness of the filters you can produce.

Is it easy enough for you to see if the measurements have been carried out satisfactorily, and if not advise to take new one's, without having to go through the expense of having to pay twice for a better set of filters (not saying you wouldn't advise, just a genuine question from a newbie).

Dumb Questions:

1. Where do I get the Pink Noise file for generating the sound

2. Does it make any difference to taking the measurements if having a 2.1 set-up (2 front mains, with a Subwoofer in the mix)

Cheers

John

Hello John

It is pretty easy to make good enough measurements and it is also easy to check them. Before building a correction I always make a quality check.

Regarding your specific questions

1. It is REW that will generate the test signal for impulse response acquisition  (a sweep signal actually)

2. For a 2.1 system you have to measure left channel + sub and then right channel + sub for each location

Thierry

Appreciate you getting back to me.

Next week I'll pick a music sample (unsure which will be best), and send it through for the free trial. Not that I'm doubting the HAF correction filters won't work, but will give me an idea of the potential change in sound from the original to your optimised version.

Then I'll carry out the measurements via REW (want to take my time and get these right) and can then send through for the full version (most likely will go for the cross talk correction option, then getting the best of both worlds).

Cheers

John

PS Dumb Question Alert - do I need to carry out any measurements via REW prior to sending through my music file for the free trial

Thierry

Ok, so I gave it a try doing the measurements in REW - 1L & 1R sweet spot, and another 7 each L & R. Still not sure if I've done them correctly, but for the trial song(s) it will give me a good idea of what your filters can achieve.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g3az7aigjf8deg0/AADuXkqpr-BBPsauK53N3jC0a?dl=0

FYI I normally sit offset from the middle of the speakers and have actually did the measurements with me being offset (1/3 to the left side of centre, i.e. 0.5m from the left speaker axis, and 1.8m from the right speaker). Would you prefer if I did the measurements sitting exactly in the middle? (not where I normally sit)

Also could I ask a big favour. I've actually linked 2 songs, therefore would it be possible to do your magic on both of these (they’re a bit different from each other, so gives me an idea with differing types of music). If only 1 song possible then that's ok.

Don't worry I'm not going to waste your time, as 100% made my mind up to go ahead and get the full filters package from yourself ("Excellence" option: Filters with & w/o cross talk correction), happy to go ahead with the payment if you need that first. I just wanted you to have a look at my measurements & data, and advise if I’ve carried them out correctly, or do I need to redo them (i.e. sitting in the centre of the speakers, or more accurate with my spacing for each measurement, it was a bit more random for locations for 2 to 8).

Regarding the full set of filters, are these generated for all specific sample rates, e.g. 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz & 192kHz (do you do DSD)?

Thanks for your time, and looking forward to hearing the songs rejigged.

Cheers

John

PS I've sent you all the info in the comment section of your website.

I tried the service and these filters work really well. They improve imaging, "air" and tonality. I preferred the non-crosstalk version, but only marginally.

A nice contribution to the hobby!

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

• 2 months later...

I'm late to the party, but FWIW,  this service is fantastic.  It's helped my challenging room greatly.   I'm very happy with what Thierry has done and is continuing to do.   I now have a proper soundstage which was sorely lacking, but more than that with the corrections I now have the correct tonal balance in my living room

• 2 weeks later...

I also want to recommend people try the HAF filters. I was about to buy software and attempt creating filters myself but then spotted this options. Thank goodness. Doing the measurements (as outlined by Thierry) were not that difficult. I’m sure I could have gotten results with the software I was considering, but, I know it would have been time-consuming and painful…..

Although I knew I had a lot of bass bouncing around my room, I was surprised at the first set of filters HAF developed. I think I have been bombarded with bass for so long that I thought the first filters ‘lacked’ bass. After several discussions and iterations with Thierry he added some bass back in ( but no where near what I had) and I am very happy with the results - the bass has oomph but also definition.

In the end I liked the cross-talk correction filters. I definitely now have a wider soundstage and better separation between instruments. For the price point (and saved time on my part) I can’t recommend Thierry’s filters enough. Not to mention the excellent service (and patience in my case) he provides. Just looked and I have 40 emails with him!

Dan