IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

I already own Dirac but would possibly be interested in this approach, because my 2011 Mac sometimes has trouble handling all the processing (I run Roon outputting to Dirac and often get "ticks" when the Mac Mini is overwhelmed. I also use TIDAL, which increases the frequency of "ticks.")

Could you use measurements created with Dirac to generate filters for your product?

Also, one item Dirac makes a big point of is to run a calibration file for your specific microphone before making measurements. Do you also provide such calibration files? (I use an XTZ mic.)

Yucca06, thanks for that information. I see that a filter created from the initial measurement will cost 109 Euros (US$121) and that I would receive an unspecified discount for future revised measurements/filters. Also, Fuzzmeasure is US$99. So this is an expensive proposition, especially for someone who, like me, already owns Dirac. For the record, once you purchase Dirac, you get unlimited new measurements and filters, for no additional charge. (I recognize that you do not represent the manufacturer, that you were simply a beta tester, and that you have no responsibility for how much it costs or how it is marketed; please do not interpret this as a criticism of you, Yucca06, and I am not attempting to kill the messenger).

I've remeasured my space at least a dozen times (more likely twice that) since I first purchased Dirac three years ago. For example, I've rearranged my furniture, moved my speakers to different configurations, etc. Dirac gave me the freedom to do that for no additional charge. It also allowed me to make as many filters based on those measurements as I desired; I've done this primarily by adjusting the lower end of the frequency curve. I have created at least three dozen different filters, possibly more.

I have trouble accepting the thought of having to pay an unspecified charge every time I rearrange my furniture (the discounted amount for future re-measurements is not advertised, which I consider a bad sign).

As much as I like the idea of being able to just plug a convolution filter into Roon and get excellent room correction without having to stress my old Mac Mini with a second application (Dirac), I simply cannot afford this solution as I see it presented here. Perhaps if I did not already own Dirac, I might find this a more attractive option. I say all of this with regret, because I'd like to try this new solution, but I don't have the money to throw around on it.

And lest this be interpreted as just all about me, I bothered to write all of the above because I have to believe that other Dirac owners have similar stories and would have similar concerns about the cost of switching to this new application.

Thanks, fresponse, for fixing the pricing policy on your website. That is definitely clearer.

I don't actually bother to modify Dirac's default target curve, so I've managed to avoid that trap; but I agree with your point for those who have. You probably don't know about Ron Popeil's home rotisserie product in France, but at one time it's advertising slogan was "Set it and forget it." That is, no need to fuss over the thing. I think you've offering a "Set it and forget it" variant on DSP to compete with Dirac, and that sounds like an excellent idea.

However, "Set it and forget it" DSP works better for those with a dedicated listening room. I am not one of those. My stereo is in a living room I share with my wife, and it is subject to regular changes of furniture arrangement, things moving in and out, by both of us. I admit we may be peculiar about that. But it means I need to be able to recalibrate Dirac measurements several times a year. So for me, the high initial cost of Dirac is made up for by my personal need to keep remeasuring and creating new filters to adapt my stereo to my ever-changing living room.

But that's me, not everyone. I wasn't criticizing your product because it wasn't perfect for me; far from it. Plenty of people have a dedicated listening room. Once they set up the speakers and listening position, it's going to stay that way. "Set it and forget it." For them, your product would be very appealing. The initial lower cost of your product, with a possible later additional cost if the filter must be recalculated, would seem like a great selling point for those with dedicated listening rooms or who are just less weird than I am about moving their furniture around.

So kudos on developing another business model that will help out a large number of folks for whom Dirac's initial cost is prohibitively expensive. 

Best of luck and great success to you!

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased the HAF solution (my word for it) and am thoroughly pleased with how it has improved the sound of my system. Especially the crosstalk correction. This feature alone might be enough to sell HAF to those who love vocals and spoken word recordings. And in general the correction that HAF provides is more limited than what I was doing with Dirac and therefore actually lets my speakers shine and express their sound in the way their creator planned

I realize  that the Dirac correction target was my own choice and that Dirac allows the user a great deal of discretion and freedom in how much and where to apply corrections 

Bottom line, the sound I got from Dirac was over controlled compared to what HAF is doing. Add in the crosstalk attenuation, and it's an easy decision for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, marcusman said:

Thanks Jim, I didn't know this!  I like learning new things so gracious!  I do wish it was built into Roon however just to make things streamlined.  Anyway I'm a fan of what HAF is doing so I'd love to try it out except I don't own a Windows machine.

If you have any instructions on how to do this please post!  I'm somewhat adept technically

The original HAF creates convolution filters (text files) that can be added directly to the signal path in Roon; sounds like you're all already running that.

The new extension just announced sounds like a plug-in rather than a convolution filter file, because it's doing something non-standard that can't be boiled down to convolution files. So, if you want to try the new expansion after it is made available for Mac, I think you'll need something like Audio Hijack to get it to work. I have Audio Hijack in my system so I could use Dirac with Roon after the debacle that occurred when Mac OS was updated last fall, and I've also used it along with another piece of software to allow me to use HAF filters while listening to Amazon's new streaming service. That's the limit of my experience with it.

[edited to add: P.S. I noticed I had mistakenly identified HAF as a plugin in my signature line; I've fixed that! I didn't understand the terminology when I added that incorrect reference.]