IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

2 hours ago, fresponse said:

Hello Kal,

You can't change the radiation pattern of any loudspeaker with signal processing but you can change what is actually heard at the ears. Without going into details the idea is to determine what would be the response at the ears with an ideal loudpseaker radiation pattern, and determine which signal correction is needed with the "non ideal" loudspeakers to come close to this ideal case.

I understand that but the statement, as far as it goes, can be applied to other EQ methods.  Can you contrast more specifically what you do (not how you do) with one or another of the existing solutions (Dirac, Trinnov, DEQx, etc...)?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

56 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

And lest this be interpreted as just all about me, I bothered to write all of the above because I have to believe that other Dirac owners have similar stories and would have similar concerns about the cost of switching to this new application.

Yes, agreed.  

Kal Rubinson

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Does Thierry offer a service wherein he comes to your room to evaluate the final result, so that he confirms that his program is delivering as well as it can?

Of course, I doubt it.  OTOH, it might be interesting if he accepted new post-EQ REW measurement files for assessment.   

Kal Rubinson

• 2 years later...

I have not but compared them but, frankly, they are not comparable.  The DEQX system is quite different from most REQs because it first measures each speaker at a close, critical distance and corrects the near-field response of the speaker for FR and phase, apart from the room's influence.  After that, it requires a different set of measurements in order to correct for the room acoustics..  I found it to be remarkably effective.

I have no first-hand experience with Room Shaper.

Kal Rubinson