IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

2 hours ago, fresponse said:

Those convolvers are not compatible with our technology because there are of "one to one" type : this means that left channel is convolved with a filter and send to left output. Same goes for the right channel. What we need is left channel convolved with 2 different filters with respective output sent to left & right channel. This is why I mentioned the butterfly plugin which offer such flexibility (a filter set = 4 different filters)

Very interesting! So, is the HQPlayer convolver fully compatible with the filters you produce? Does the cross-talk reduction work with HQP?

You mentioned a free trial. How do I request this, once I have the necessary measurements?

I've been using REW to build a set of filters for quite a while, but would like to see if your filters can produce an improvement over what I've been able to do. Can you also supply these filters as REW EQ files, or only as impulse response?

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

If that level of care and compatibility goes into the website, a cynic might conclude the same might hold for the actual software.

That's harsh. I would give this new venture the benefit of the doubt and judge on the merits of the product, rather than by how well the website is crafted.

I had the same problem from an iOS device, but no problems from MacOS Safari or Chrome.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

I think the idea isn’t that Bill has come to a conclusion about a product he hasn’t tried, but that a user’s experience on this commercial site is something fresponse should be concerned with.

I get that. As someone who has started numerous ventures where web presence was not the primary product, I can tell you that it's hard to get it right on the first try. Often, time and money is spent on the product with website being an afterthought. I'm sure the website will be fixed in time, the problem has already been reported.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

If the web is your primary, or only, sales channel, a quality website should bloody well be your top priority. This includes working with all reasonable browsers as well as passing compliance tests.

Wow, give these guys a chance! They just introduced a new product a few days ago that might have some exciting applications in my system. I'd much rather discuss that than what browsers don't render their website particularly well.

6 hours ago, fresponse said:

@pkane2001 : our goal is to propose the optimal filters set by default. But if you have some preference in terms of tonal balance we can adapt to different kind of house curve format (text file, picture) The process is to start by our proposal and iterate if it is really mandatory 

Thank you. I would definitely want to start testing with an optimal, flat filter. But, my experience flattening the frequency response did not produce the best results. A very slight house curve (a few dB bump below 70Hz and a few dB gradual roll-off after 5KHz) made a big difference. I'll do some measurements and contact you to do a test with a sample track.

13 hours ago, fresponse said:

Just to be clear when I said "optimal" I didn't mean "flat" : as you said optimal refer more to what will sound natural in your listening environment. Looking forward to your measurements !

Understood, that's why I said 'optimal, flat', meaning optimal and flat, as opposed to optimal and (house-)curved, which I may want to try later :)

Just sent you the measurements. Looking forward to trying out the filters!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

I quit.  No can do.

An entire weekend of mind-numbing exploration, trying to make sense of this HAF product / service.  Hats off to those of you that managed to figure it out.  I suspect HAF is intended for geeks and engineers and works brilliantly for you guys out there.  

For music buffs and other hifi enthusiasts, simply trying to improve our room acoustics - HAF is not ready for prime time.  This stuff's gotta work, and Thierry's approach to sorting out customer installations by means of endless cryptic emails is touchingly personal, but inadequate and hugely frustrating for both him and his customers.  Here's an example of his email instructions:

press "Start measuring" : REW will wait for a sync signal that is embedded in the attached sweep signal. As REW will play as well its own test signal when you press "Start measuring" (it doesn't do this), you must find a way to make sure this test signal will not be audible : the easiest way is to choose the internal card of your computer as output device (Preferences menu) and put your computer volume at zero

- play the left channel sweep signal (_L_refL) from your player and check that the level measured by REW is in the acceptable range (make sure the player stop after the file reading to not disturb the measurement) (when you play the sweep file from your player, REW doesn't record it)

It all sounds easy, except it doesn't actually work like he seems to be describing.  I got everything set up with the UMIK-1 and pressed "start measuring" as instructed.  REW simply plays it's own test file.  I've no clue how you're supposed to play the special Left and Right test files that Thierry sends out.  Since this email, I've received 5 emails from Thierry and the poor chap's received about 10 from me.  He seems to ignore the question every time :)

Apologies to all of you for letting off steam via this post.  My head's about to explode. UMIK-1 goes back to Amazon next weekend and we move on.  

Thierry - just make a how-to video. You'll thank me one day.

You seem to be missing the need for another software player (for example, HQPlayer) to play the custom test signal instead of REW.

REW built-in test signal must be sent to any output where it will not be heard (for example, your PC speakers with volume set to 0). This is selected through REW configuration screen.

HQPlayer or another software of your choice can play the test signal over your speakers, while REW input, connected to UMIK-1, will measure the result. You'll need to select 'Use Acoustic timing reference' in REW measurement screen, so it will wait to start measuring until it detects the signal from the microphone.

• Playback of the test file -> through any decent software player with output to your speakers
  • REW output -> to any muted or disconnected speaker system, doesn't really matter which as long as you can't hear it
  • REW input <- UMIK-1

Start REW measurement, first. It'll sit and wait for the timing signal. Then, start playback of the test file using your audio player. REW should detect the short chirp at the beginning of the file and start measuring the sweep that follows. It'll stop automatically.