IGNORED

Tweaking Sound with Convolution

Okay, I can hear what the convolution is doing in the second clip; but, unfortunately, for me, the violin is too edgy, particularly when played more expressively - the natural "sweetness" of the instrument is missing, in this presentation.

This is good ... you're motivating me to get the NAD combo up and running again - it's working without a volume control at the moment; as I point out in my blog this was a significant quality weak link. I've got a replacement, which I've been "too busy" to install, ^_^. So, stand by ...

2 hours ago, STC said:

So please show us something tangible.

Well, I don't have a clear idea of what you mean by tangible - at this moment, right now, I don't have a system which can produce the quality I talk about; and the NAD setup hasn't been finalised, not by a long shot. And by that I mean it still hasn't given me the "invisible speakers" performance level - close, but not the full monty.

Oowwww, that would be smarty pants! :)

BTW, something "tangible" to what I'm about, is understanding that if I'm asked to assess reproduction that I never listen for what's right in the playback - only to what's wrong ... so, I'm always, always going to point to anything which "gets in the way" of making me believe that what I'm listening to is "live".

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that this will never be possible, no matter how good the recording of the playback is; the 3D effect results from the quality of the the playback system actually used by the listener to monitor what's on the recording, whether the original, or a manipulated or a capture of a soundfield version.

From experience, I can reasonably well translate what I hear on simple laptop speakers, to what it would come across like if the same track was played back on a competent system.