IGNORED

headless Mac remote access too slow

38 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Actually, just looked it up:

Apple Mac Mini (MGEN2D/A) CTO BTO Intel Core i7-4578U 3.0GHz Dual-Core, 16GB RAM, 1000GB HDD, Iris Grafik

1.269 € right now. This has come down a lot recently. 

i7 - 3Ghgz + 16GB should be good enough for a very long time.

Do you have any concerns re: dual core vs. quad?  

Concerned the newest models do not offer quad core i7 - I had enough trouble with slow performance on my 2011 (2.3 i5 dual core) to want to make sure the newest models perform *considerably* better before shelling out $1,300.  Of course, the 2011 model also had a 5,400 RPM hard drive, which I'm sure contributed greatly to the perception of slowness!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

21 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

? -  I run Roon server and nothing else on that machine. Why would I be concerned? 

Got it.

I run iTunes (needed for dealing with portable devices and tagging), Roon (complete with upsampling and other DSP), and HQPlayer (at times).  I know it's my choice to do so ;) just trying to balance performance vs. having to buy multiple machines, each with a single purpose.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

17 hours ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

They will take it off the market for sure cause I cannot see a good reason or a good market for it in the future.

Sounds dire to me. You don't think that they will transform the Mac Mini into a new product? Kind of like the amalgamation of the Mac Mini and Mac Pro lines for the Modular Mac series Apple has talked about?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

1 hour ago, foodfiend said:

Sounds dire to me. You don't think that they will transform the Mac Mini into a new product? Kind of like the amalgamation of the Mac Mini and Mac Pro lines for the Modular Mac series Apple has talked about?

Well, I see no reason for a MacMini. Kids have mobil devices (iPhones, maybe iPad), adults like to have MacBooks Air and professionals are using Macbook Pros for work ( I do), I have the Apple display, I do not even need an Imac.

I would not buy MacMinis for my kids, at that price I can get them MacBook Air. 

So, besides us using it as a Music Server, nobody really needs it. That's why I think they will discontinue the product. 

But who knows?

Chris 

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

8 hours ago, jhwalker said:

Got it.

I run iTunes (needed for dealing with portable devices and tagging), Roon (complete with upsampling and other DSP), and HQPlayer (at times).  I know it's my choice to do so ;) just trying to balance performance vs. having to buy multiple machines, each with a single purpose.

Mine runs fine with Roon and HQP, even with Dirac Live before. Since I have the Lyngdorf TDAI I do not need all the upsampling anymore. But it worked fine on my I5 MacMini before Lyngdorf.

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

3 hours ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Well, I see no reason for a MacMini.

So, besides us using it as a Music Server, nobody really needs it. That's why I think they will discontinue the product.

Actually, there is demand for headless computers, as well as using Mac Mini as servers.

This has led to people setting up data centres with individually-owned Mac Mini's - Mac Mini Colo

17 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Actually, there is demand for headless computers, as well as using Mac Mini as servers.

This has led to people setting up data centres with individually-owned Mac Mini's - Mac Mini Colo

Well, then we do not have a problem ;-)))

14 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Well, then we do not have a problem ;-)))

Since when does Apple let the market dictate? Remember when they removed optical drives from computers? Or when they removed the headphone jack from the iPhone? Still, I hope there is life in the Mac Mini line...

1 hour ago, foodfiend said:

Since when does Apple let the market dictate? Remember when they removed optical drives from computers? Or when they removed the headphone jack from the iPhone? Still, I hope there is life in the Mac Mini line...

Since Steve Jobs has died.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:05 AM, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Hmm - never happened to me (complete hardware failure) but lets assume the unthinkable:

Apple stops the MacMini, mine fails, there are no spare parts, no second hand MacMini available...

and then the sun blows up to a huge size and fries our entire planet

sure -- you can run (to another planet somewhere, or make your own ring world)

but you cannot hide from the impending heat death of the universe

and it may well vanish into quantum holes too

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

and then the sun blows up to a huge size and fries our entire planet

sure -- you can run (to another planet somewhere, or make your own ring world)

but you cannot hide from the impending heat death of the universe

and it may well vanish into quantum holes too

and do I care...?

• 1 month later...

Been headlessing Minis for years, replaced a 2009ish duo core with a late 2012 quad core i7 2.7 with 18GB of RAM and a 250G SSD for OS and players - HQPlayer, A+ and PM.  

The older Mini was choking on HQPlayer up converting to DSD128 with certain filters...no problems with the 2012 which does DSD256, no sweat and sounds pretty fantabulous.  

I found a NOS one on Ebay, OWC list refurbished used ones for reasonable prices and they are Mac experts:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple-Systems/Used/Mac-mini

Perhaps the long rumored upgrade, last upgrade (which was a CPU downgrade from 2012) was in like 2014, will feature a more powerful CPU than the late 2012...but I believe someone will have to do some additional software work to enable a Mac to do DSD512.

Tone with Soul