IGNORED

Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe

On 8/5/2018 at 4:42 PM, Steve Bruzonsky said:

The same as I do w Sonic Transporter i5, converting any DSD to PCM. Both Berkeley Audio USB Converter and Theta CBIVA SSP are limited to 192-24. Again, I am getting the Sonic Transporter i7 primarily for its dual ethernet connections, to router, and direct to Sonore Signature Rendu SE.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:42 PM, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Again, I am getting the Sonic Transporter i7 primarily for its dual ethernet connections, to router, and direct to Sonore Signature Rendu SE.

Have you received/started using the Transporter i7 yet?  If so what are the results?  I ask because I am in a similar situation.  I am looking for a dedicated room core server which will connect with my Lumin T1 streamer/dac.  I like the two ethernet ports on the i7 but am curious if will have any benefits over a simple switch.  Like you, I don't really need the DSP processing power of the i7 but the i7 is the only model with the dual ethernet ports.

1 hour ago, randyhat said:

Have you received/started using the Transporter i7 yet?  If so what are the results?  I ask because I am in a similar situation.  I am looking for a dedicated room core server which will connect with my Lumin T1 streamer/dac.  I like the two ethernet ports on the i7 but am curious if will have any benefits over a simple switch.  Like you, I don't really need the DSP processing power of the i7 but the i7 is the only model with the dual ethernet ports.

Just got the Sonic Transporter i7 and got it running with ROON late afternoon yesterday. My initial impression with only some listening is sounds every bit as good as before (Sonic Transporter i5) and I "think" in some ways it sounds at least a bit better - particularly Meiko's latest Chesky album, and particularly strings and stand up bass!. But as I've found in the past, the truth to the pudding is lust laying back, enjoying, and using as one normally does over a period of weeks, normal listening, to really tell. Small Green Computer has a 30 day return policy. 

10 hours ago, randyhat said:

I like the two ethernet ports on the i7 but am curious if will have any benefits over a simple switch.  Like you, I don't really need the DSP processing power of the i7 but the i7 is the only model with the dual ethernet ports.

In your case:

Save the money and buy the i5, pluss the UpTone EtherRegen switch when it will be available. You may add HQPlayer as well. (Also buy from SMG). 

Read the 20 last pages in this thread for possible more info. 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?page=360

And here as well;

@R1200CL,  Not sure of why you are suggesting a more complex signal path here...  Also please remember that this is the Sonore forum ?.  And SGC is a partner company of Sonore.  Running direct mode from an I7 Sonic Transporter is an excellent option, additionally I am not sure why you recommend running HQPlayer with an I5, not a lot of power for oversampling own that case.

The Signature Rendu SE loves to get its Ethernet input direct from the Sonic Transporter I5!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

21 hours ago, barrows said:

I am not sure why you recommend running HQPlayer with an I5, not a lot of power for oversampling own that case.

He is not doing DSD, only PCM. Also if he was doing DSD, the i5 will do up to DSD 256. i5 also less power. 

21 hours ago, barrows said:

Running direct mode from an I7 Sonic Transporter is an excellent option,

That maybe so, but so is a dedicated audiofile switch ?

There may also be placement issues that could suit one option over the other. 

And i I think having the i7 “far away” is preferable. 

49 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

And i I think having the i7 “far away” is preferable. 

Yes and No. I tried having the Sonic Transporter i5 far away in my upstairs home office which has a super long long hard wire ethernet cable into my theater room. Worked fine. But sounded noticeably better when I had it in my theater room close to my theater network switch. I have read differing theories about this. Whatever works best in each of our situations is what counts!

I have noticed no difference in testing with CAT 6A Ethernet cables from 1m to 50m with the SRse.  It should present no compromise to have the Sonic Transporter "far away" using the direct connection.  I am interested in hearing about people doing careful testing regarding Ethernet cable length though...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Barrows  said  "The Signature Rendu SE loves to get its Ethernet input direct from the Sonic Transporter I5!".  Not sure I understand how a direct connection would work with an ST I5 > SRSE.  The ST I5 only has one ethernet port and needs a switch to connect router and renderer.   Of course the ST I7 would work with its two ethernet ports.   

36 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Barrows  said  "The Signature Rendu SE loves to get its Ethernet input direct from the Sonic Transporter I5!".  Not sure I understand how a direct connection would work with an ST I5 > SRSE.  The ST I5 only has one ethernet port and needs a switch to connect router and renderer.   Of course the ST I7 would work with its two ethernet ports.   

My bad, just checked the post above, I said I7 first, but then wrote I5 by mistake in the part you quoted.  By all means I meant I7 in both cases!

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Just got the Sonic Transporter i7 and got it running with ROON late afternoon yesterday. My initial impression with only some listening is sounds every bit as good as before (Sonic Transporter i5) and I "think" in some ways it sounds at least a bit better - particularly Meiko's latest Chesky album, and particularly strings and stand up bass!. But as I've found in the past, the truth to the pudding is lust laying back, enjoying, and using as one normally does over a period of weeks, normal listening, to really tell. Small Green Computer has a 30 day return policy. 

I am very pleased with the Sonic Transporter i7 as its directly connected via a .5M ethernet cable to my Sonore Singature Rendu SE, which is connected via a very short 200mm Curious Cable Link to the Berkley Audio USB Converter on top of it at an angle (so the short USB cable can connect from opposite sides of the back of both units. Its a real keeper. I've been listening to a lot of music the past few days!

I was playing some jazz ("En Azul", Witmer Trio, Sound Liaison, direct to 92-24 recording) and felt that I was listening lower and clearer than I had in the past, as I  like to listen at a 85-90 dB level. I figured I was listening at least 8-10 dB lower. But my sound level meter (iPhone X) showed I was listening at my "normal" level for that album. Yet it sounded quieter, more real, more relaxing, clearer.

I am finding that my listening across the board to all types of music reflects the above. Vocal jazz. New Age. Classical. Etc.

I like to read news, forums, etc on my laptop or IPad Pro while I listen to music. Yet often doing this if I put it all away, close my eyes, relax, it sounds better. Now, I find that I do whatever I want, laptop, iPad Pro, yet the music seems to reach me like never before.

It must be something in the air! The Sonic Transporter i7 is a keeper for me.

Keep in mind, as I discussed earlier in this thread the other week, I made some changes (took out fiber conversion prior to Sonore Signature Rendu SE, set Berkley USB Converter on top of Rendu SE, replaced  .8M with 200mm Curious USB cable. All of this had resulted in sonic betterment in my system. But I perceive a larger improvement even with the Sonic Transporter i7 and its direct ethernet connection to the Rendu SE. Count me more than satisfied!

Question: Can a ROON core component, like the Sonic Transporter i7, burn-in and sound better? I am comfortable that this occurs with the ROON endpoint, the Rendu SE, but I wouldn't have thought this would occur with the ROON core unit. When I first hooked up the Sonic Transporter i7, I felt it sounded at least as good but was reluctant to say it was a big as opposed to some small sonic improvement. But now, a few weeks later and a lot of music later, I clearly hear, more importantly "feel" emotionally, a really wonderful sonic improvement that gets me a good amount more emotionally involved, and my sensations are that I'm listening to the music at a more comfortable "lower" level even if the dB meter shows the same as before. Heck if I know? But I am pleased nevertheless. Of course some cynic will simply say I got used to the sound. But if the Sonic Transporter i7 were to sound the same as the Sonic Transporter i5 hey I was already used to that sound!!!

5x20 mm, Slow Blow, 315 mA

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Maybe you should try the Ghent ethernet cable as well on the last interconnection in your chain ?

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/et11.html

Don’t go below a meter. 

I am using a .5M Audioquest Vodka presently.

I recall checking and being advised that although with digital cables one should not go below 6 feet/1.5M to avoid reflection issues, that with ethernet cables length is not an issue.

Your link to Ghent Audio shows they sell a different ethernet cables including guess who - Audioquest!

15 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

I am using a .5M Audioquest Vodka presently.

I recall checking and being advised that although with digital cables one should not go below 6 feet/1.5M to avoid reflection issues, that with ethernet cables length is not an issue.

Your link to Ghent Audio shows they sell a different ethernet cables including guess who - Audioquest!

Whoops!!! Ghent Audio sells Audioquest DC cables - not ethernet. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Sonore Signature Rendu SE  and Microrendu/Ultrarendu owners, what ethernet cable and length are you using, and is the shield lifted on the SRSE end?

Barrows mentioned earlier in this thread that metal connectors on the ethernet cable might cause an issue with galvanic isolation.

I have seen here and other threads some folks  mentioning that the shield lifted at the Roon Ready device end gives better sonics.

I am using a .5M Audioquest Vodka.ethernet cable for this purpose. I just noticed that the connectors are metal.

My understanding is that the ethernet cable connector issue is important at the Roon Ready device end.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

So Sonore Signature Rendu SE  and Microrendu/Ultrarendu owners, what ethernet cable and length are you using, and is the shield lifted on the SRSE end?

Barrows mentioned earlier in this thread that metal connectors on the ethernet cable might cause an issue with galvanic isolation.

I have seen here and other threads some folks  mentioning that the shield lifted at the Roon Ready device end gives better sonics.

I am using a .5M Audioquest Vodka.ethernet cable for this purpose. I just noticed that the connectors are metal.

My understanding is that the ethernet cable connector issue is important at the Roon Ready device end.

Thanks.

Steve

Your Vodka is just fine. It was what I tried to copy when i told Ghent to design his first Ethernet cable.  Now he has the even better shileded version (JSSG360). We actually almost did it wrong by following the ethernet specification ?

Vodka connectors has no connection to shield. Wich you can test by a meter. 

I have read a quite sientific acceptable reason somewhere to not go below 3 feet or 1 meter on Ethernet cables. 

Use you money on the UpTone upcomming switch ?

What may be worth trying if someone is ordering Ethernet cables from Ghent is to request to only make it support 10 or 100 MHz by not connect those wires. 

But I have no idea if this make sence. 

6 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Thanks.

My UltraRendu is quite some distance from network switch, so I use a CAT7 flat cable that is unshielded but with Foil-shielded twisted pairs. U/FTP in coded terms. The 10M length sounds awesome from the Netgear professional switch that has an audio power cable running it (made a huge difference to sound AND file transfer speeds on my network). There is no perceivable glare or edginess to the signals. Just blissful clarity, air, bass-solidity etc.

There are metal connectors on these cables (I bought from Amazon) but since there is no shield for the overall cable, I doubt that there is any grounding issue since there is no cable shield (just twisted pair shields in flat arrangement).

Regards

GG

20% off end of summer sale on the Signature Rendu SE!  Contact:

[email protected] to order!

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...

Updates to Tidal and Qobuz streaming:

We have cleaned up the way the Rendu series streams Tidal and Qobuz. Before you needed BubbleUPnP Server running on the network to make the OpenHome capable. Now BubbleUPnP Server is no longer needed. This means a simpler setup for first time and long time users and a cleaning experience overall. This feature works with Linn Kazoo on your computer or mobile device (phone or tablet) and just requires a Tidal account.

Here is how to get it:

The unit most be updated to the latest version from Apps / Software Manager. Follow the update with a reboot. Go to Settings / MPD DLNA and press Save. Remember to shut down BubbleUPnP where you run it. FYI You can still use it if you prefer it. You should now see a Tidal and Qobuz tab in Linn Kazoo and when selected you are prompted to enter you username and password.  

Later today I'll update the Tidal and Qobuz setup thread later today. 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27851-sonicorbiter-tidalqobuz-setup-with-openhome/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, due to my desire to run a vst plugin in my playback chain (PC>>Signature Rendu SE>>DAC), and the inability of Roon to accept plugins, I am trying to get JRiverMC 24 to work over DLNA with my Rendu. I have gone through all of the settings. No matter what I do, JRiver does not show the Rendu under 'Players'. I remember once a long time ago I had this working. I cannot see any firewall conflicts (Norton). Can anyone offer any advice ? Thanks very much.