IGNORED

Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

Chris is receiving a systemOptique care package in the mail this morning.

Let's hope we get a review this time.  Never saw a review of the Signature Rendu SE.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Quote of the day

Adrian thanks again for getting the USB & power cable to me for my Sig Rendu SE before the holidays greatly appreciated! The Sig Rendu is quite an amazing renderer and really improved the sound of my Antipodes DX 3 now as server only. I hear more natural detail, separation and air with an overall smoother and more liquid presentation with great transparency. The increased detail is very engaging being able to hear each player more clearly interacting with each other. The USB cable surprised me in that it sounded better than my reference and I have compared many USB’s because they are such an important link to the overall sound of a system and most are not any good regardless of price. It was a pleasant surprise that it further improved all of the qualities the of the Rendu mentioned above.

Thanks for all the good work you guys at Sonore are doing to bring us great digital music!

Upgrade notice

We are currently offering upgrades to Sonore Signature Rendu SE owners which adds optical Ethernet input.

UPGRADE OPTIONS

• Tier 1 Conversion to systemOptique, 595 USD
    We recommend upgrading to the Synergistic Black or Blue fuse before the Tier 1 conversion,
    if this has not already been implemented. Upgrade Price $120 (MSRP $149.95) in addition to the Tier
    cost.
  • Tier 2 Tier 1 + “RFI to Heat” applied material to the underside cover, 695 USD
    The application of this material absorbs stray radio frequency interference (RFI) and converts it to
    Heat.
  • Tier 3 Tier 1 + Tier 2 + Turbo Linear Power Supply, $995
    Please allow up to three weeks for a Level 3 conversion.

For a custom quote, send me an email at: [email protected].

On 3/8/2019 at 3:53 AM, vortecjr said:

FYI I added links to the systemOptique approved optical gear to the top post. I’ll add more as they are confirmed. 

Just got my Rendu SE back after a quick optical upgrade by Barrows and tried setting it up this afternoon.  Unfortunately, I can confirm that, at least in my system, the Trendnet TFC 1000 MGA converter does NOT work.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062K68D0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Its lights and that on the Rendu SE glow green, but the Rendu SE doesn't show up on the network at all.

I am making a point of posting this because this particular FMC was Flavor of the Month when I bought it and I know that many of us on these forums have used it successfully with our previous Rendu products.  If you are using this converter, you probably should order the approved FMC before your opticalRendu arrives so that you are able to get your new Rendu up and running immediately.  

My new FMC should be here in the next day or so.  I am looking forward to getting my system back in gear.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

My upgraded Rendu SE arrived last Saturday and sounds wonderful! I have a new Trinnov  Altitude 32 SSP (replacing my trusty Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP) and I already found its ROON Ready ethernet sounding great on 2 and multi channel. I got to play with the upgraded Rendu SE some and initial impression it may be even better - but due to an issue with my  Altitude 32, it just got shipped for repair. However, I have reinserted my Casablanca meanwhile, and will try to go by memory and do some listening with my new upgraded  Rendu SE. Barrows, Adrian, etc thanks so much!

13 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Just got my Rendu SE back after a quick optical upgrade by Barrows and tried setting it up this afternoon.  Unfortunately, I can confirm that, at least in my system, the Trendnet TFC 1000 MGA converter does NOT work.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062K68D0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Its lights and that on the Rendu SE glow green, but the Rendu SE doesn't show up on the network at all.

I am making a point of posting this because this particular FMC was Flavor of the Month when I bought it and I know that many of us on these forums have used it successfully with our previous Rendu products.  If you are using this converter, you probably should order the approved FMC before your opticalRendu arrives so that you are able to get your new Rendu up and running immediately.  

My new FMC should be here in the next day or so.  I am looking forward to getting my system back in gear.  

Okay, this was my bad.  I failed to realize that my SE's MAC address had changed, so the unit failed to show up using any of my bookmarks and desktop shortcuts. I tried finding the unit by using sonicorbiter.com and was able to locate it.  It played music immediately and now I have assigned the new MAC address to the old static IP address, so everything works the same now as it did before. 

I will let the unit burn in a bit and then get down to some listening.  I still am going to use the new FMC when it arrives, as I have a matching set of these Trendnet FMC's and can use them elsewhere in my network with ethernet-only devices, but I was absolutely wrong about compatibility. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Mike, glad you have it running!  after 24 hours or so, please let us know how you like the sound!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just received my upgraded Signature RenduSE. I chose tier 2 which includes the optical cage and “RFI” treatment.  With a couple hours listening I’m pleased with upgrade. To be honest, I felt my system was outstanding with original SSRSE so was curious to hear what this upgrade would do. I obviously couldn’t AB test with old unit but new unit appears to have more air and sound stage. Better but not an OMG upgrade to my ears. Barrows tells me there may be improvements over the first 24 hours of use but modest improvements after that. . I am using the OM4 fiber cable Adrian told me to buy originally. A couple of days  ago he changed his mind and now says buy the OM1. That is on order and won’t get til Friday. So I’m assuming that will be a positive change. I attached photo of upgraded box. The rectangle shape metal foil is the RFI barrier. Barrows says “The material on the top cover is indeed the EMI absorbent material, it is far from a piece of aluminum foil.  This material is an industrial EMI absorbing product which was carefully selected to be effective in this application.“ I’m assuming it does what it’s supposed to do but I have a hard time understanding why I paid $100 for this “treatment “. Maybe Barrows or Adrian can provide a little more info and data around this upgrade to assure potential buyers this is worthwhile.

**image removed by JR

3 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I am using the OM4 fiber cable Adrian told me to buy originally. A couple of days  ago he changed his mind and now says buy the OM1. That is on order and won’t get til Friday. So I’m assuming that will be a positive change.

Tier 2 also.  I too am using OM4 for now for the same reason as you, and my OM1 won't be here until middle of next week.  Luckily, it's a dirt cheap Plan B.

From emails with Adrian, I have gathered that the change won't be to the sound quality, but, rather, to the longevity of the SFP or maybe the FMC.  Apparently, the higher bandwidth OM4 heats up the SFP to excessive levels and OM1 will keep things at a better operating temperature.  

My sense of SQ is the same as yours.  At first I thought the sound a bit more sterile, but I think that now is a function of the greater air.  Imaging is quite remarkably better, though.  Some old fave test recordings now have more precise instrumental placement, which is a good thing.

9 hours ago, sockpit said:

“I have a hard time understanding why I paid $100 for this “treatment.”

Same reason you paid $120 for the special fuse, I suppose. (I love my mR and the guys at Sonore, but just couldn’t resist 😈)

Actually, if Sonore had charged a typical 5x the BOM cost of the EMI absorbing material we use, the additional charge to the customer would have to be way more than what we do charge for it.  This material is relatively expensive to purchase.  The material we use is nothing obscure or anything, just a proven industrial material from a reliable electronic parts supplier which can absorb some of the noise inside the chassis.

if one is still curious about EMI absorbing materials, a quick Google Search for "EMI absorbing materials" or EMI absorbing sheets" will reveal a number of results.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Mike, can you confirm which options you have from this link?

100/1000 SFP, Gigabit.

As I mentioned, it does work with the SE, so apologies to all for my initial false alarm.  My connectivity issues resulted from the SE's MAC address changing when the unit upgraded and were not due to this FMC.

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

100/1000 SFP, Gigabit.

As I mentioned, it does work with the SE, so apologies to all for my initial false alarm.  My connectivity issues resulted from the SE's MAC address changing when the unit upgraded and were not due to this FMC.

No worries. I just wanted to add it to the systemOptique list with the correct options. 

On 3/12/2019 at 12:25 AM, Steve Bruzonsky said:

My upgraded Rendu SE arrived last Saturday and sounds wonderful! I have a new Trinnov  Altitude 32 SSP (replacing my trusty Theta Casablanca IV-A SSP) and I already found its ROON Ready ethernet sounding great on 2 and multi channel. I got to play with the upgraded Rendu SE some and initial impression it may be even better - but due to an issue with my  Altitude 32, it just got shipped for repair. However, I have reinserted my Casablanca meanwhile, and will try to go by memory and do some listening with my new upgraded  Rendu SE. Barrows, Adrian, etc thanks so much!

So I have had my old trusty SSP, Theta Digital Casablanca IV-A, back in. I've used burn-in tracks with the Rendu SE upgraded for several days. Frankly, after really liking my new Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP with its advanced room correction/optimization and Auro 3D for 2 channel which sounded sensational, I figured listening to music with my trusty Casablanca would be disappointing. As I definitely felt that Trinnov had better 2 channel sonics than the outstanding sonics I was used to with the Casablanca (using Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter with Rendu SE). So tonight I start playing music I just played the other nite with the Trinnov, and also recently with the Casablanca, and I was frankly expecting to be disappointed in comparison to the Trinnov. But I am having a great time early in the AM listening, listening, listening, some Hank Mobley, Tierney Sutton, Witmer Trio. Its obvious the clear sonic improvement from the previous non-optical version. WOW! I may be up all night!

This upgrade is a clear winner!!!@@@

Next up, when I get my Trinnov back, how it sounds compared to the Casablanca, and how Trinnov's Roon Ready ethernet (which sounds great) sounds compared to the upgraded Rendu SE! My gut impression the first day was that the upgraded Rendu SE may have been somewhat more dynamic than ROON Ready ethernet, but next day some issues with Trinnov and sent back for repair. When Trinnov Altitude 32 comes back the upgraded Rendu SE will be well burnt in and ready for the challenge test of excellent sounding ROON Ready ethernet vs upgraded Rendu SE!