IGNORED

Sonore Signature Rendu SE Deluxe

On 3/8/2019 at 3:53 AM, vortecjr said:

FYI I added links to the systemOptique approved optical gear to the top post. I’ll add more as they are confirmed. 

Just got my Rendu SE back after a quick optical upgrade by Barrows and tried setting it up this afternoon.  Unfortunately, I can confirm that, at least in my system, the Trendnet TFC 1000 MGA converter does NOT work.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062K68D0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Its lights and that on the Rendu SE glow green, but the Rendu SE doesn't show up on the network at all.

I am making a point of posting this because this particular FMC was Flavor of the Month when I bought it and I know that many of us on these forums have used it successfully with our previous Rendu products.  If you are using this converter, you probably should order the approved FMC before your opticalRendu arrives so that you are able to get your new Rendu up and running immediately.  

My new FMC should be here in the next day or so.  I am looking forward to getting my system back in gear.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

13 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Just got my Rendu SE back after a quick optical upgrade by Barrows and tried setting it up this afternoon.  Unfortunately, I can confirm that, at least in my system, the Trendnet TFC 1000 MGA converter does NOT work.

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062K68D0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Its lights and that on the Rendu SE glow green, but the Rendu SE doesn't show up on the network at all.

I am making a point of posting this because this particular FMC was Flavor of the Month when I bought it and I know that many of us on these forums have used it successfully with our previous Rendu products.  If you are using this converter, you probably should order the approved FMC before your opticalRendu arrives so that you are able to get your new Rendu up and running immediately.  

My new FMC should be here in the next day or so.  I am looking forward to getting my system back in gear.  

Okay, this was my bad.  I failed to realize that my SE's MAC address had changed, so the unit failed to show up using any of my bookmarks and desktop shortcuts. I tried finding the unit by using sonicorbiter.com and was able to locate it.  It played music immediately and now I have assigned the new MAC address to the old static IP address, so everything works the same now as it did before. 

I will let the unit burn in a bit and then get down to some listening.  I still am going to use the new FMC when it arrives, as I have a matching set of these Trendnet FMC's and can use them elsewhere in my network with ethernet-only devices, but I was absolutely wrong about compatibility. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

3 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I am using the OM4 fiber cable Adrian told me to buy originally. A couple of days  ago he changed his mind and now says buy the OM1. That is on order and won’t get til Friday. So I’m assuming that will be a positive change.

Tier 2 also.  I too am using OM4 for now for the same reason as you, and my OM1 won't be here until middle of next week.  Luckily, it's a dirt cheap Plan B.

From emails with Adrian, I have gathered that the change won't be to the sound quality, but, rather, to the longevity of the SFP or maybe the FMC.  Apparently, the higher bandwidth OM4 heats up the SFP to excessive levels and OM1 will keep things at a better operating temperature.  

My sense of SQ is the same as yours.  At first I thought the sound a bit more sterile, but I think that now is a function of the greater air.  Imaging is quite remarkably better, though.  Some old fave test recordings now have more precise instrumental placement, which is a good thing.

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Mike, can you confirm which options you have from this link?

100/1000 SFP, Gigabit.

As I mentioned, it does work with the SE, so apologies to all for my initial false alarm.  My connectivity issues resulted from the SE's MAC address changing when the unit upgraded and were not due to this FMC.

• 2 months later...

Just outta curiosity, has anyone used vibration control footers under a Signature Rendu SE and the connected DAC?

I get email pitches on vibration control for all my devices - renderer, DAC, integrated amp, phono preamp, LPS boxes, even speakers - usually costing about as much as a new amp would.  

I confess, however, that I never have noticed a lot of improvement with the relatively inexpensive vibrapods and ball bearing devices that I have used.  I thus am pretty skeptical, but I am curious how other owners approach this.  

1 minute ago, barrows said:

One isolation product I am looking forward to trying at some point is the "Orea" footers from ISOacoustics-these are also (relatively) reasonably priced.

Those are among the offerings in the emails that push isolation devices.  They do seem relatively sanely-priced compared to some of the possibilities out there, so they are the ones I would consider first.

The most insanely-priced offerings I have seen cost in the thousands to isolate a single component and that's before you get to the optional ball bearing upgrades that "make a huge improvement" in the sound of the footers at a cost of several hundred dollars per footer.  

3 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I'm using Ingress Audio Engineering Level 3 v2 RollerBlocks under my Signature Rendu SE and DAC. Both also sit on SR Tranquility Bases

I think my plans are more modest. :) That's maybe five grand for isolation! 

8 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Start with the Ingress Engineering RollerBlocks. If one set doesn't impress with the Signature Rendu SE, the set can be used under another component. 

Thank you for the suggestion!  They are in my price range. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

I just sold my Sonore Signature Rendu SE SystemOptique Tier 3 Upgrade to Don Henley.

Hobnobbing with the bigwigs, I see!

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

To shutdown the Signature Rendu SE optical and not corrupt the operating system it takes 7 steps:

Open Chrome browser

Navigate to MySonicorbiter

Select Manage

Select System

Select Power Down

Confirm Power Down....10 second countdown

Then turn off the power switch on the rear of the cabinet

Does anyone do it differently?

Would prefer something simpler like my Nucleus - press power button = soft shutdown, press hold = hard shutdown

I just use the power switch.  Am I going to mess up something if I keep doing that?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Product award notice

The Signature Rendu SEoptical received the 16th Annual Positive Feedback Writers' Choice Awards for 2019

Quote from the article, "The Sonore Optical Signature Rendu SE delivers streamed music with a level of fidelity and musicality that's unlike anything I've experienced yet."

Link to article

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/the-16th-annual-positive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1Rx-RZvzYj1W0aT-W_msjEPCOEBFknW7togPumm1N97TmZFCr31w84B0k

Quite an honor!  You are on a list with some seriously costly company!

16 hours ago, MartinT said:

The Signature Rendu SE Optical is now up and running in my system and sounds fabulous.

spacer.png

Has the case changed since Version 1?  I can see you have added the door stops atop the unit, but that little platform under them looks like part of the unit's casing. 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

It is actually not that simple.  Clock phase noise is sensitive to vibrations, and it has be shown that performance of the Signature Rendu improves as clock phase noise is lowered.  It is indeed possible that improvements to vibration damping will improve the performance.  The Signature Rendu uses a well built heavy gauge aluminum and steel case, with carefully designed footers with sorbothane damping inserts to reduce the influence of external vibrations not he circuitry.  at this level of performance, many seemingly small details do matter to the ultimate sound quality.

Hi, Barrows.  Does Sonore have specific recommendations for aftermarket vibration control?  I have mine on isoacoustics bronze footers, but I never have really heard significant changes in the SQ, let alone improvements.  If there is a better approach, I am open to ideas.

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

There are some things we are considering…carbon fiber top replacements and a chrome front faceplates. If you are interested in one of these email me at [email protected].

Hi, Jesus.  Is the carbon fiber top an esthetic thing or is there a sonic improvement expected from it? 

Thanks, Barrows. I will email Jesus for upgrade information. In my experience with automotive applications, carbon fiber can be crazy expensive even for small pieces, but the top of a Sig SE cabinet isn't huge. 

Just now, barrows said:

I think Jesus was just looking for some feedback on the idea, we are certainly not prepared to offer the carbon fiber top panel yet.

Thanks for the clarification. My input: depends entirely on the cost. :) 

• vortecjr changed the title to Sonore Signature Rendu SE
  • 3 weeks later...