IGNORED

pimp my pro

peechus

I have a modest collection of cd's that I wish to set up a computer audio library to enjoy through the new Logitech touch. Rather than purchase a mac-mini my 17" MacBook Pro will pull double duty [e-mail]. I connect the computer via wireless to an Airport extreme where Cat6 takes the ethernet cable to where the Touch and Anthem D2v Pre/pro will be located in another room. While the D2v digitizes the inputs, it does have an analog thruput. How can I maximize my MacBook Pro for inclusion to a top drawer set up?

peechus

From what I know, I think your MB Pro will probably do fine in this setup. The common recommendations would probably be additional memory (how much does it currently have?) and an SSD drive for the OS & apps (if it doesn't already have one).

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Hi Rascal,

While SSD drives are great for things like audio libraries, when the action is primarily read only, using one for an OS, where there are many read/writes going on all the time, is not a good idea.

SSD drives will reach a point where they won't write anymore, though they can still be read from with no problem.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Barry, I must admit that I am not speaking from experience, but what you're saying runs contrary to much of what I've read on this forum. Also, for what it's worth, this link from Sonic Studios on building a music server recommends use of a solid state drive (among many other things) for OS & a few favorite tracks:

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/support/howtobuildaserver.html

Cheers,

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Barry is right that a given block of memory in an SSD tends to fail after a certain number of writes. However, that is mitigated by two factors: 1. Newer SSD's increase the number of writes before failure. 2. Newer SSD's detect when a block of memory is reaching its write limit and map out that block so that it won't be used anymore.

A web search will turn up several articles on the subject. This article is 2 years old but discusses some of the issues:

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

One year old:

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/39204-intel-claims-ssd-superiority-tries-to-dispel-myths

In any event, you need a backup no matter what your storage medium. Hard drives also can fail any time.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Unless I have read it incorrectly, the original poster wishes to configue his MacBook to act as a server for a Squeezebox Touch.

In this system a SSD is unlikely to make any difference to SQ. Neither is stuffing it full of memory, etc. All the OP needs to do is install the relevant Squeezebox server software.

All references to SSD, etc are when using the computer connected directly (i.e. via USB, Firewire or SPDIF/AES) to a DAC. There is no need for SSD in 'server' type appliances except for noisy / heat elimination.

Eloise

P.S. If your Anthem has a spare digital input then be worth experimenting with that as well as analogue inputs and see which is best.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Rascal,

For audio, I do not believe it is an issue.

Operating systems, on the other hand, are constantly writing and rewriting files (e.g. swap space). To be clear, you still might get years of use but nothing at all like you would if the SSD was used primarily to read audio.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com