IGNORED

Massdrop: TEAC NT-503 DAC $700

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

All I really meant is that I think this is worth looking into for anyone (a) who wants to pay $100s, rather than $1000s, and (b) doesn't absolutely require an analogue source input.  

I'm certainly no expert, but I would think adding Roon (or other networking features) should be something addressable in a software update.

I also didn't mention it has bluetooth, but if anyone wants that option, it is there too.

I haven't seen measurements for this one, but the Teac 501 (its immediate predecessor) impressed a lot of people (both subjectively and objectively).  I got this via Amazon when it was first introduced, so it was a bit of a risk, but in reality there were no issues.  

You forgot to add among its features were some audiophile cred things like Velvet sound DACs, and that a famous DAC chip designer designed it by ear to have Velvet sound.  I mean it had to be by ear, as there is no AES approved criteria to measure Velvet sound.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.