IGNORED

Massdrop: TEAC NT-503 DAC $700

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/teac-nt-503-usb-dac-and-network-player?1=1&utm_placement=24&referer=9QFFBA&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-06-10&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1497083177297.651668585158907937397638

6-14-17 edit: My intent is simply to let people know a DAC they may like is on sale for a good price.  I would prefer not to see this become the subject of any controversy or argument.  So as the OP, I'd like to politely request that we try to "keep it straight" in this thread.

Thanks, everyone.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:19 PM, wgscott said:

I'm kind of surprised this DAC isn't more popular.  It checks a bunch of boxes:

1. Includes volume control/pre-amp functionality (volume control is in the analogue domain).

2.  Standard USB/coax/optical functionality

3.  Network player/input

4.  Does DSD

5.  Lots of upsampling/filter choices to play with

6.  Input for external clock (not clear why it is needed, but it is there)

7.  TEAC has a good reputation for bang for the buck.

even though it is a dac, i wish it had an analog input like their ud503, so i didn't need a preamp for my analog sources, but i agree, best bang for the buck!

A J, my apologies, because you're certainly not the only one in the thread to do this, just the most recent, reading which triggers the following request from me:

My intent is simply to let people know a DAC they may like is on sale for a good price.  I would prefer not to see this become the subject of any controversy or argument.  So as the OP, I'd like to politely request that we try to "keep it straight" in this thread.

Thanks, everyone.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Please update first post with direct quote or link to above message for archival purposes, OP. :)

About twice a year I'll admit to the guilty pleasure of looking through the audiophile section at Massdrop for devices like this.  Good find, Jud.

2 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Looks like a very nice piece, but TEAC is Mid-Fi.

Meaning emits mid to low dollar soundwaves. Unmeasurable, but we must assume 100% real audible

If this is mid-fi what are all the dacs that don't include galvanic isolation circuitry.  It also won Japan's most authoritative award. The TEAC sounds as good as just about any DAC i have compared it to, including SCHIIT, which doesn't even incorporate galvanic isolation...and everyone knows that SCHIIT is the best available, even without dsd.

By all reports it is a great value for the money, both in terms of features and sound.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

All I really meant is that I think this is worth looking into for anyone (a) who wants to pay $100s, rather than $1000s, and (b) doesn't absolutely require an analogue source input.  

I'm certainly no expert, but I would think adding Roon (or other networking features) should be something addressable in a software update.

I also didn't mention it has bluetooth, but if anyone wants that option, it is there too.

I haven't seen measurements for this one, but the Teac 501 (its immediate predecessor) impressed a lot of people (both subjectively and objectively).  I got this via Amazon when it was first introduced, so it was a bit of a risk, but in reality there were no issues.  

13 minutes ago, firedog said:

By all reports it is a great value for the money, both in terms of features and sound.

FYI

An audiophile I've known for well over 40 years, who has been a high-end retailer,  a manufacturers rep., as well as having the best ears in our group, bought one of the first TEAC -503's. He had used a -501 DAC since they came out, and thought that the -503 would be an upgrade. Enough that he sold his 501 immediately after receiving the -503 (and an initial listening trial).

Some days later he had more listening time in on the new DAC, and came to regret his hasty decision. I think he lost good money in the various buys and sells, but he is back to an original -501 model DAC and happy with it.

Perhaps folks can find a used -501 cheaper then this deal ?

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

All I really meant is that I think this is worth looking into for anyone (a) who wants to pay $100s, rather than $1000s, and (b) doesn't absolutely require an analogue source input.  

I'm certainly no expert, but I would think adding Roon (or other networking features) should be something addressable in a software update.

I also didn't mention it has bluetooth, but if anyone wants that option, it is there too.

I haven't seen measurements for this one, but the Teac 501 (its immediate predecessor) impressed a lot of people (both subjectively and objectively).  I got this via Amazon when it was first introduced, so it was a bit of a risk, but in reality there were no issues.  

You forgot to add among its features were some audiophile cred things like Velvet sound DACs, and that a famous DAC chip designer designed it by ear to have Velvet sound.  I mean it had to be by ear, as there is no AES approved criteria to measure Velvet sound.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

• 1 year later...