IGNORED

Avantgarde Model 2 DAC

Just saw this on Avantgarde Acoustics' website - a press flyer for a firewire (and other input) battery power supply dac : interesting !

• Fully discrete voltage-to-current converter (no OPs and ICs in analog signal path)

• State of the art Burr & Brown multibit converter chipset

• 2 times analog oversampling and 4 times digital oversampling

(176.4 kHz x 2 = 352.8 kHz total oversampling)

• Ultra precision VCXO master clock

• Discrete CLASS A operation

• Zero feedback

• Fully symmetrical

• Battery power supply

• 4 inputs (FIREWIRE, TOSLINK, AES/EBU, SPDIF)

[br]Mac Mini > Lio-8 > Graaf Gm-20 > Stax ESL-F83x[br]Ipod / Wadia Dock / Wadia 830 > ULN-2 > Krell KAV400xi > B&W 805

Chris,

I am old friends of the line as I brought the first pair of their Trio horns into the US back in the early 90's. Mathias has been working on the dac for some time. The Digital Input portion was designed by Weiss and the dac and output section is all Mathias's design.

I would imagine it is pretty good design as the entire Avantgarde team is very good.

Thanks

Gordon

It's nice to see more maufacturers (returning to?) using multibit converters. I've never been able to live with any of the delta-sigmas that I've heard...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

The specification "exactly even-numbered 4 times digital oversampling to 176.4 kHz" implies that it can only accept 44.1 KHz sample rate data. In other words, it cannot play music encoded at 48 or 96 KHz because it has only a single, fixed clock.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

44.1 only ? quite strange. If interface has been conceived in collaboration with Weiss (the AvantGarde integrates FW800 input), it should target any sample rates up to 192 Khz / 24 bits.

Any information about price and date of availability ?

Best regards

MPB/iTunes + Audirvana / Amarra / AVS 3D - Accuphase E 550 / DAC 30 - Apertura Altra Signature