IGNORED

Lampizator Atlantic DSD512 Engine

On 6/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, tedwoods said:

The Atlantic DSD only would most probably have been my next DAC. 

I have the Euforia now.

But since I am a fan of the server/endpoint(HQPlayer NAA) configuration, I would ideally want native DSD512 under Linux to avoid the extra overhead of dop.

I don't have any news on the Amanero front and that's what's holding me back.

I also cannot find any info on what exactly the super clock upgrade entails...

I'll try to provide some insight to your last sentence about the Super clocks.   The upgrade is for more accurate DAC timing clocks that send the data from the inputs to the DAC - R2R PCM/DSD256 or chipless DSD512 modules.  There are 2 clocks - 1 for 44.1 kHz base material (CD) and 1 for 48 kHz material (hi-res downloads).  

I Iistened to a Plus with both modules in my system for a few weeks before I ordered to decide what I preferred.  I agree with @BayStBroker that the chipless DSD512 module is more realistic than the R2R DSD.  It is even more detailed but not harsh and the imaging is more lifelike. 

I opted for the Golden Atlantic, balanced, with DSD512 module, only. I use HQPlayer with a Windows NAA so that I can run the Amanero ASIO driver.  I wish the Amanero USB was non-DOP capable with Linux, too.  If the work currently being done to address that issue for the T+A DAC8DSD is portable to the Lampi Amanero, we're in.  But we'll probably have to send them in for an update, hopefully only to NJ for those of us in the US. 

I'll just add that the tube recti, Super clocks and DSD512 module are each worthwhile.  The clocks are a must, the tube recti nice to have, and the DSD512 really really nice to have.  The GA is another level, too.  Having both at the same time for a few days I was able to go back and forth and it was only a couple swaps until I never went back. 

2 hours ago, firedog said:

You can get chipless conversion without 512 option - it's an add-on to conversion just to lower rates. 

I think the lower DSD rate DACs from Lampi are only either chip or R2R and only the DSD512 module is chipless.  Check with Lampizator NA or EU.  Their websites are a little limited (NA) or a little confusing (EU) as to options.  

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

The 44.1 clock can also be used for Hi-Res files.  It was incorrect.

Agreed, but more incomplete than incorrect.  It wasn't clear enough that I was using CD as a base rate example and hi res as 48/96/etc. but should have included the 88/176/etc.  Can you tell I don't like typing a lot on a tablet?  LOL. Thanks.  

It may also help if I point out that SACDs are 44K base and unless one is upsampling by computer software may not benefit from having the 48k superclock with only the DSD512 module.  I think the ADCs used in recording, and the very few issued DSD64 on up files, are using the 44k base.  

For me, the real goal was chipless DSD.  I like the way all of the DACs I have used sound better fed DSD than PCM, so I upsample everything and utilize both superclocks.   But, I'm not sure if you can just get one or the other.  They may come as a package because they are on the same board.