Jump to content
IGNORED

Lampizator Atlantic DSD512 Engine


Recommended Posts

There is a great opportunity right now for aspirational audiophiles to get elite D/A conversion performance at a mainstream price.  You may have heard good things about the Lampi Atlantic.  Yes, the sound is incredibly lifelike, detailed and musical.  The cheap model starts at 4,000 Euros.  The main sacrifice of the base model is the use of solid-state rectification instead of tube, which if you ask me is no biggie. But for the SAME entry price a buyer can elect to receive the DSD-only version, which features the chipless DSD512 engine.  And that is the option that will ratchet the performance into elite class for whoever buys it.  I have a deluxe Atlantic Plus with R2R for PCM and an optional DSD512 engine.  After a few weeks the DSD512 engine is the only one I'm using.  It sounds magnificent, and is miles ahead of the R2R engine (or any PCM I've heard.)  Since the new Audirvana 3.0 allows me to stream Tidal upconverted to DSD, it is a simple matter to dispense with PCM altogether.  Note that I'm streaming DSD128 to the Lampi DSD512 engine.  I haven't even heard what authentic 512 sounds like.  The chipless DSD512 engine handles all DSD with breathtaking effect.  If I had it to do over again I would have bought the DSD512 only base model and saved nearly half of my money.  Guys, trust me, you gotta hear this DAC!

LampiAtlantic.jpg

Aurender N100H

Lampizator Atlantic Plus

Magico S3 Mk2

Blue Circle Preamp

PS Audio BHK 300 Amps

Link to comment

The Atlantic DSD only would most probably have been my next DAC. 

I have the Euforia now.

But since I am a fan of the server/endpoint(HQPlayer NAA) configuration, I would ideally want native DSD512 under Linux to avoid the extra overhead of dop.

I don't have any news on the Amanero front and that's what's holding me back.

I also cannot find any info on what exactly the super clock upgrade entails...

Link to comment

I have my Atlantic for a few weeks now, it is very very enjoyable to listen to it. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the tube rectifier option when ordering it, and Im wondering if electric guitar amps out there just suck - they sound so good now and acoustic guitars (for comparison) sound even better!

 

I wonder if the DSD 512 is a worthy upgrade over the 256 (Lampi says it is not), I think one can order the base model without PCM as well. The super clock is definitely an option worth considering! 

 

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, unbalanced output said:

I have my Atlantic for a few weeks now, it is very very enjoyable to listen to it. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the tube rectifier option when ordering it, and Im wondering if electric guitar amps out there just suck - they sound so good now and acoustic guitars (for comparison) sound even better!

 

I wonder if the DSD 512 is a worthy upgrade over the 256 (Lampi says it is not), I think one can order the base model without PCM as well. The super clock is definitely an option worth considering! 

 

 

I am telling you that the chipless DSD512 engine is not only worthy of adding as an upgrade, it is worth forgoing PCM entirely in order to have.  Lampizator is justifiably pleased to market their R2R engine which plays mixed PCM and DSD playlists without manual adjustment.  It sounds spectacular.  But the chipless DSD512 engine sounds way better.   Since you already have your Atlantic, I would add the DSD512 engine before I added the superclocks to the standard engine.  To be clear, the DSD512 engine sounds far superior when playing even regular DSD64 files.  With the DSD512 engine, you don't even want to use the R2R chip engine.

Aurender N100H

Lampizator Atlantic Plus

Magico S3 Mk2

Blue Circle Preamp

PS Audio BHK 300 Amps

Link to comment

Since I'm also using the DAC hooked up to the TV for movies and gaming, I don't think I can forego the pcm engine. The second DSD engine would be quite a stretch, so I settled on the basic model with superclock. It would be interesting to be able to compare both dsd engines nevertheless... In what sense is the chipless one better? Even though I always found DSD "better" than pcm, it took me a while to accept it was more realistic. Reality is, it probably is able to better reproduce some recording details which I was never aware of.

 

I'm looking forward to upgrade my server side. Using a somewhat improvised solution at the moment.

Link to comment

Yes, well if you use it for A/V then you will of course need PCM.  The DSD512 engine sounds "better" than the chip-based PCM/DSD256 engine in two ways. The first is that it simulates more completely the analogue experience in which one is frequently astonished by the "in the room" realness of the presentation.  Another way it is "better" is that way in which it seems a layer of veil has been removed from the recording.  This is most evident in the upper mids and high frequencies, which are natural, emotionally present, and uncannily human to a degree I've never heard from digital.  You are closer to the master tape, pure and simple.  And my whole point is that a buyer can have this performance for the base model price if he chooses DSD512 only.  Originally, Lukasz did not offer DSD512 to Atlantic buyers "at this price point."  Then he made it available, even to base model buyers.

Aurender N100H

Lampizator Atlantic Plus

Magico S3 Mk2

Blue Circle Preamp

PS Audio BHK 300 Amps

Link to comment

Will the the chipless DSD512 engine you are recommending in the Atlantic automatically convert other (non DSD) files fed to it via a network player (Aurender etc.) to DSD512, in the same way the PS Audio DirectStream converts everything to DSD when it passes through? 

 

I have a friend who wishes to do that without introducing a standard "computer" into the system.

 

JC

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Norton said:

Do you know if you can similarly get a DSD512 only version of the Tube rectified Atlantic Plus for the  same price as 256/PCM version?  

Not for same price like silicon rectifier base model; at least not on order form. But if you asked, I don't see why Lukasz would refuse. If you pay for the tube recti, it should be no skin off their backs to let you choose DSD512 only (no PCM at all). According to order form though, you can get SS recti DSD512 only for 4,000 euros but a tube recti with DSD512 option added (like mine) starts at 6500. In hindsight, I would've gotten with 4,000 euro base model DSD- only.

Aurender N100H

Lampizator Atlantic Plus

Magico S3 Mk2

Blue Circle Preamp

PS Audio BHK 300 Amps

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Will the the chipless DSD512 engine you are recommending in the Atlantic automatically convert other (non DSD) files fed to it via a network player (Aurender etc.) to DSD512, in the same way the PS Audio DirectStream converts everything to DSD when it passes through? 

 

I have a friend who wishes to do that without introducing a standard "computer" into the system.

 

JC

Sorry, no. My Aurender is sitting idle while I use a MacBook Pro to run Tidal via Audirvana 3.0 to upsample the signal to DSD128. I'm not happy about using a std "computer" either, but for now that is the price of admission to Lampi DSD512-land. And Lampi DSD512-land is a good place to be.

Aurender N100H

Lampizator Atlantic Plus

Magico S3 Mk2

Blue Circle Preamp

PS Audio BHK 300 Amps

Link to comment
On 6/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, tedwoods said:

The Atlantic DSD only would most probably have been my next DAC. 

I have the Euforia now.

But since I am a fan of the server/endpoint(HQPlayer NAA) configuration, I would ideally want native DSD512 under Linux to avoid the extra overhead of dop.

I don't have any news on the Amanero front and that's what's holding me back.

I also cannot find any info on what exactly the super clock upgrade entails...

 

I'll try to provide some insight to your last sentence about the Super clocks.   The upgrade is for more accurate DAC timing clocks that send the data from the inputs to the DAC - R2R PCM/DSD256 or chipless DSD512 modules.  There are 2 clocks - 1 for 44.1 kHz base material (CD) and 1 for 48 kHz material (hi-res downloads).  

 

I Iistened to a Plus with both modules in my system for a few weeks before I ordered to decide what I preferred.  I agree with @BayStBroker that the chipless DSD512 module is more realistic than the R2R DSD.  It is even more detailed but not harsh and the imaging is more lifelike. 

 

I opted for the Golden Atlantic, balanced, with DSD512 module, only. I use HQPlayer with a Windows NAA so that I can run the Amanero ASIO driver.  I wish the Amanero USB was non-DOP capable with Linux, too.  If the work currently being done to address that issue for the T+A DAC8DSD is portable to the Lampi Amanero, we're in.  But we'll probably have to send them in for an update, hopefully only to NJ for those of us in the US. 

 

I'll just add that the tube recti, Super clocks and DSD512 module are each worthwhile.  The clocks are a must, the tube recti nice to have, and the DSD512 really really nice to have.  The GA is another level, too.  Having both at the same time for a few days I was able to go back and forth and it was only a couple swaps until I never went back. 

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

 

I'll try to provide some insight to your last sentence about the Super clocks.   The upgrade is for more accurate DAC timing clocks that send the data from the inputs to the DAC - R2R PCM/DSD256 or chipless DSD512 modules.  There are 2 clocks - 1 for 44.1 kHz base material (CD) and 1 for 48 kHz material (hi-res downloads).  

 

 

 

I will further clarify your misleading clock information.

 

44.1 base clock is for 44.1 - 88.2 - 176.4 - 352.8 data

 

48 base clock is for 48 - 96 - 192- 384 Data.

No electron left behind.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

I Iistened to a Plus with both modules in my system for a few weeks before I ordered to decide what I preferred.  

 

I opted for the Golden Atlantic, balanced, with DSD512 module, only.

 

The GA is another level, too.  Having both at the same time for a few days I was able to go back and forth and it was only a couple swaps until I never went back. 

 

I too have been fortunate enough to have both the Atlantic Plus and the Golden Atlantic in my possession at the same time. Both are fabulous DAC's, but like Solstice380 I'll be keeping the GA and returning the Plus. It has a little better imaging, depth and sounds slightly warmer, but there is a cost... The Lampizator upgrade program is a double-edged sword. It does enable you to upgrade in stages, but now I've spent way more overall than I was originally planning.

 

I went with balanced, but that meant there is no room for the DSD512. The balanced option was more important for me, but everyone who has the DSD512 recommends it. I have a second room where I don't need PCM or balanced, and next year I'll be looking at another Lampi (maybe DSD only).

 

I'm liking the GA so much that I'm even thinking of selling my turntable setup. As a lifelong vinyl fan, and as someone until even last year who said "vinyl is better than digital" this is quite a statement for me to make. I need to do a few more sessions where I listen to the same albums on vinyl and digital.

TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator Golden Atlantic, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 60th Ann. (*2), Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-3, LCD-4
Mobile: AK240, Shure 846
Link to comment

Do I take it that the big thing the DSD512 option  brings is chipless conversion? From the above, is there then any relevence in having the clock options with a DSD only machine?

 

Anyone listened to Atlantic vs DAVE in their own system?

 

Thanks

 

 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Norton said:

Do I take it that the big thing the DSD512 option  brings is chipless conversion? From the above, is there then any relevence in having the clock options with a DSD only machine?

 

Anyone listened to Atlantic vs DAVE in their own system?

 

Thanks

 

 

You can get chipless conversion without 512 option - it's an add-on to conversion just to lower rates. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Link to comment
45 minutes ago, Norton said:

Do I take it that the big thing the DSD512 option  brings is chipless conversion? From the above, is there then any relevence in having the clock options with a DSD only machine?

 

Anyone listened to Atlantic vs DAVE in their own system?

 

Thanks

 

 

Check what is the situation of the DSD 512 engine regarding clocks. DSD will also benefit of a more precise clock. 

 

I had interest on Dave, but it is more than double the price. The Hugo TT is on the price range of the Atlantic (basic one). I'm not fond of comparing equipment on different systems, so I did not bother auditioning the Dave before buying the Atlantic. Perhaps I can put my hands on a Hugo sometimes...

Link to comment
43 minutes ago, unbalanced output said:

Check what is the situation of the DSD 512 engine regarding clocks. DSD will also benefit of a more precise clock. 

 

I had interest on Dave, but it is more than double the price. The Hugo TT is on the price range of the Atlantic (basic one). I'm not fond of comparing equipment on different systems, so I did not bother auditioning the Dave before buying the Atlantic. Perhaps I can put my hands on a Hugo sometimes...

I borrowed a DAVE for a few days.  I also used to own a Hugo.  DAVE was astonishingly good, but as you say a lot of money.  I see Atlantic +HQP as. a possible cheaper, more future proof and maybe even better alternative.  There is though Hugo2, out this week.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, firedog said:

You can get chipless conversion without 512 option - it's an add-on to conversion just to lower rates. 

 

I think the lower DSD rate DACs from Lampi are only either chip or R2R and only the DSD512 module is chipless.  Check with Lampizator NA or EU.  Their websites are a little limited (NA) or a little confusing (EU) as to options.  

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Norton said:

I borrowed a DAVE for a few days.  I also used to own a Hugo.  DAVE was astonishingly good, but as you say a lot of money.  I see Atlantic +HQP as. a possible cheaper, more future proof and maybe even better alternative.  There is though Hugo2, out this week.

Talk about cheaper, the option of Atlantic base model DSD512 only at 4,000 euros is a steal if you agree that the chipless DSD512 engine is where you get the best sound.  

Aurender N100H

Lampizator Atlantic Plus

Magico S3 Mk2

Blue Circle Preamp

PS Audio BHK 300 Amps

Link to comment
20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

 

 

The 44.1 clock can also be used for Hi-Res files.  It was incorrect.

 

Agreed, but more incomplete than incorrect.  It wasn't clear enough that I was using CD as a base rate example and hi res as 48/96/etc. but should have included the 88/176/etc.  Can you tell I don't like typing a lot on a tablet?  LOL. Thanks.  

 

It may also help if I point out that SACDs are 44K base and unless one is upsampling by computer software may not benefit from having the 48k superclock with only the DSD512 module.  I think the ADCs used in recording, and the very few issued DSD64 on up files, are using the 44k base.  

 

For me, the real goal was chipless DSD.  I like the way all of the DACs I have used sound better fed DSD than PCM, so I upsample everything and utilize both superclocks.   But, I'm not sure if you can just get one or the other.  They may come as a package because they are on the same board.   

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...