IGNORED

I2S Interface

I am just wondering so I thought I would ask.

Has Sonore given up on the I2S interface?

It was in their top of the line equipment not long ago and now I do not see or hear anything about it in the products or forums.

It sounds like the answer to my questions is YES.

After proclaiming this as the best interface Sonore, it was included in their now discontinued Signature product, has now decided that due to commercial reasons (or maybe being too early to the party) they do not have any current plans to offer products with an I2S interface to high end DACs.

I am not trying to be rude but I am just trying to get some clarity.

I can perfectly understand the economics of what you are saying. I just find it a bit disappointing.

I have always looked at niche companies, like Sonore, to provide niche products but if that is not possible for survival then that is  the way it is, like it or not. You must survive as a company.

I would certainly be one of the few (here ot there) that would be interested in any new I2S products you may develop based on my experience with my SSR.

I had hoped for the upgrade that Adrian talked about last year.

Do you consider that a possibility or is this also off the development schedule?

btw, Adrian' comments in January 2017 I have referred to are:

"Saying all this the developers of the SSR board (which we were Apprx 15% off) are working on a replacement board.  We definitely are keeping an eye on them.

"
2 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We are always looking, but these things take time. If you talking about upgrading the unit for 384 PCM and higher rate DSD we should be able to do that, but it's going to be expensive and I'm not sure how quickly we can get the parts. 

I am interested.

Expensive is relative, what do you have in mind?

Can it be done remotely?

I am in Europe so doing something here could save transport cost.

2 minutes ago, chip said:

btw, Adrian' comments in January 2017 I have referred to are:

"Saying all this the developers of the SSR board (which we were Apprx 15% off) are working on a replacement board.  We definitely are keeping an eye on them.

"

I'll believe it when I see it:)

typical sales guy!!

I deal with them all the time. I project manage for an industrial automation company and sometimes I really am astounded by what sales guys tell customers and potential customers. Good luck with this.

Let me know if anything develops.

I understand that some things are out of your control. Just hoping.

I was just joking around about sales in general.

I certainly did not mean any disrespect for Adrian. I had a very good experience with him when I bought my SSR.

7 hours ago, PhilR said:

Would you guys consider an i2s-only option model?

Already answered. They had an i2s model before the microRendu that didn't sell well. Discontinued.

Doesn't sound like the are itching to go back to that market.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Already answered. They had an i2s model before the microRendu that didn't sell well. Discontinued.

Market wasnt ready at that time, but now it does :)

I would wait, maybe next year they will decide to do that or maybe some other company.. :)

dCS Network Bridge | Audio Note DAC2 Signature | Audio Note M5 Preamp | Audio Note Empress Silver Monoblocks | Audio Note AN-E/Spe HE Speakers

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Could that have been due to a lack of DACs with an i2s input? Looks like things may be changing in this area a little?

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

1 minute ago, Speed Racer said:

It could be it was overpriced too.....

Ahh ok that makes sense, i wasn't aware of the price.

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

13 hours ago, PhilR said:

If I have understood i2s interface correctly, you would need to have a very good clock on that device, and in addition is should be a better clock than your DAC, as the i2s interface bypass the DAC clock. 

This may also make a propper build device a bit expensive as well. 

Maybe most usefull on cheap DAC's,? though people seems to like i2s interface on the Spring DAC. 

Also wiring for the i2s signal may matter. 

I think John Swenson wrote about i2s not long time ago. 

14 hours ago, PhilR said:

We have looked at every small board computer that has i2s and every single one has done it incorrectly and we will not follow their example. We also require that we run our own software (Sonicorbiter) so we can control the vertical and horizontal. Adding i2s to the microRendu or ultraRendu series would be a bad after thought. Sure we could use an on board XMOS receiver as other have done for digital output, but the complexity of this would not meet our keep it simple design criteria for the microRendu or ultraRendu series. 

There are then other issues like the fact that there are only really a hand full of i2s devices and they can't manage to agree on the pin assignment. So any product that we would consider making with i2s would have to also include other digital outputs. 

If we are going to proceed with an i2s/digtial output design we have our work cut out for us....we are going to want to use Sonicorbiter, it has to be very high quality, and it has to be a game changer. We have the foundation for just such a device, but it's 2 years out on the development cycle. 

6 hours ago, firedog said:

We were actually happy with the sales numbers because we knew full well that the unit was intended for a limited market. However, we can't build a company around a low volume business model.