Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

Its´a quite long read.

Basically he says Rock is not suited for very large databases ( over 300k, if I remmeber correctly)

For the technincal explanations please have a look there.

I dont know if direct links to other forums are allowed here.

But anybody ineterested can find it quite easy. No need to register in the Roon Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen so many mentioning of Roon in the last years that I got intrigued by it. What (the heck) is it, what does it, what not, could I use it?

Now with this amble post about ROCK, I tried to get these questions answered, by Googling around a bit. Foremost I am curious to know what Roon can mean for a classical music lover like me. Having a, no three Olive 4's, bought about 10 years ago, when I started with 'streaming'. Olive could fulfil my 'needs' for classical music quite favourably, by dividing albums (and combining albums) into compositions, made by composers, performed by artists or groups, directed by eh.. directors, played with instruments, and so on.

Googling Roon and classical music did not give me a thorough vision of Roon's capabilities in this regard. I fear that it will make a terrible mess of my collection of about 3000 albums, with still a 1000 to go.

Of course, I could give it a try. But if someone knows something about it and can share it, I would be obliged.

Marc

Chris, many thanks for posting the instructions for getting a Roon ROCK going.  Ran into a couple of glitches, the first Transcend M.2 drive wasn't recognized (returned and bought the Samsung), the first time I burned the OS to a USB drive, there was a "decompression" error which was fixed by using another drive, etc.

But 2 hours later, all of my tracks are back up and running and I love the fact that the HDMI port works flawlessly!  So I can go direct to my Marantz 8802a and output with Auro3D 10.1.

Life is good today.

Thanks again for the help.

Peter

Mac Mini 2013 i5 SSD 6G 120 GB - OSX 10.8.5 - Pure Music & Pure Vinyl - synology 3TB NAS - Oppo 105 - Emotiva XSP-1 balanced preamp - Event Opal active speakers & SVS SB-13 sub - 3 custom turntables - hand built Ed Yang tube phono stage - TC Impact 24/192 A-D vinyl ripper- fully treated, equalized listening room

3 minutes ago, ptruce said:

Chris, many thanks for posting the instructions for getting a Roon ROCK going.  Ran into a couple of glitches, the first Transcend M.2 drive wasn't recognized (returned and bought the Samsung), the first time I burned the OS to a USB drive, there was a "decompression" error which was fixed by using another drive, etc.

But 2 hours later, all of my tracks are back up and running and I love the fact that the HDMI port works flawlessly!  So I can go direct to my Marantz 8802a and output with Auro3D 10.1.

Life is good today.

Thanks again for the help.

Peter

Happy to hear it Peter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

6 minutes ago, gomle69 said:

Which file format do you use on the USB stick used for ROCK installation?

I believe you are asking about disk format such as HFS+, FAT etc...

It doesn't matter. The tool will reformat for you.

Chris, thank you for the sage advice. These are exciting times! This innovation has prompted me to buy the i7 unit and will be rebuilding my Roon setup from scratch with a NAS as well. However, since the sole purpose of the NUC is to run Roon, how does one use calibration software with a mic? I have the Umik-1 (from miniDSP) and the Room Eq Wizard software. Is that even possible? 

On 24/06/2017 at 2:44 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Very stable. 

hi

do you find 8gig of ram is enough for your large collection?

ive got my i7 nuc and 8gigs of ram for my similar size collection as yours and nearly ready to build.

On 07/06/2017 at 8:16 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Here's an update for everyone.

Based on my testing, the i7 NUC is much louder than I expected. It's clearly audible from across my listening room, when no music is playing. The annoying fan hasn't stopped spinning, and I'm not even playing music. 

In addition, I just updated to the newest version of Roon. Like some other updates, the database needed to be updated after the install. The NUC took 35 minutes to complete this update on my 300,000+ track library. Not a showstopper, just a data point.

roon-message.png

Hi Chris, thanks very much for this useful thread. I bought a 7i5BNK last week but had to return it (no video). While I wait for the new one, I'm having some second thoughts on the 7i7. 

My concern with getting the i7 was exactly the noise issue - and I couldn't find any makers of fanless cases for it. Did you manage to get over the noise issue? Also, for DSP on a smaller library would you think the 7i5 would be enough? The single core performance seems to be quite close between both processors. 

Last but not least, wouldn't it be possible to partition the internal drive? I also got a 960 evo which is a great option for reasonable price, however it seems a waste to allocate it all for ROCK. 

cheers

1 hour ago, unbalanced output said:

Hi Chris, thanks very much for this useful thread. I bought a 7i5BNK last week but had to return it (no video). While I wait for the new one, I'm having some second thoughts on the 7i7. 

My concern with getting the i7 was exactly the noise issue - and I couldn't find any makers of fanless cases for it. Did you manage to get over the noise issue? Also, for DSP on a smaller library would you think the 7i5 would be enough? The single core performance seems to be quite close between both processors. 

Last but not least, wouldn't it be possible to partition the internal drive? I also got a 960 evo which is a great option for reasonable price, however it seems a waste to allocate it all for ROCK. 

cheers

The noise is an issue with the i7 that can't be dealt with, without a fanless case. I have mine in another room because it's only connected via Ethernet. 

For DSP I would go with the i7. You never know what is coming down the road and more power may be needed. DSP is library size independent. 

Partitioning the drive isn't possible. Roon sees the physical drive and takes over. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chris for this simple tutorial. I was able to get Roon moved over with minimal fuss to the NUC and it has worked flawlessly so far when connected to my NAS. One thing worthy of note that caused me difficulty at first was my use of a switch - it caused repeated drop outs in my wired network. At least I'm assuming it was the switch because as soon as I removed it from the chain the dropouts stopped. The NUC does make a little fan noise if your setup has it out in the open. I stuff mine behind everything in my theater setup so it's not an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, what power supply do you use with your Nuc ROCK?

I recently upgraded to a BOTW P&P ECO 18V – 19V  power supply and sound from the Nuc ROCK has really improved (a lot)!

Also, how would you compare the Nuc ROCK sound  with the Aurender N10?  If my memory serves me right you own or did own an Aurender N10.   My current endpoint is the SOtM sMS-200 (with an Uptone LPS-1).

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

For the Intel NUC7i7BNH, does anyone know if there is a benefit to upgrade the BIOS to the latest 0050 version? 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27057/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-

Thanks,

V

Main Room: Synology NAS DS116 > Roon ROCK (NUC7i7BNH) > Auralic Aries Femto > Chord Hugo > Sennheiser HD 800 S

Bedroom: Synology NAS DS116 > Roon ROCK (NUC7i7BNH) > Sonore microRendu (UltraCap LPS-1 PS) > Chord Mojo > Focal Elear or Sennheiser IE800 or Audeze iSine 20

12 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

For the Intel NUC7i7BNH, does anyone know if there is a benefit to upgrade the BIOS to the latest 0050 version?

Did you read the release notes?  What is your current BIOS version?

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27057/eng/BN_0050_ReleaseNotes.pdf

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 2004/HDPLEX 300W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Just now, rickca said:

Did you read the release notes?  What is your current BIOS version?

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27057/eng/BN_0050_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Yes I read the notes. Not sure if the changes make a difference. I have 0046.

Thanks

Main Room: Synology NAS DS116 > Roon ROCK (NUC7i7BNH) > Auralic Aries Femto > Chord Hugo > Sennheiser HD 800 S

Bedroom: Synology NAS DS116 > Roon ROCK (NUC7i7BNH) > Sonore microRendu (UltraCap LPS-1 PS) > Chord Mojo > Focal Elear or Sennheiser IE800 or Audeze iSine 20

7 minutes ago, vlomdmdiv said:

I have 0046.

You might want to get more current.  Version 47 includes a microcode update to fix a problem with hyperthreading.  You want that fix unless you turn hyperthreading off.  Usually, I don't update the BIOS unless I am having a problem.  You can google for more information about the Skylake/Kaby Lake hyperthreading issue.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 2004/HDPLEX 300W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

You might want to get more current.  Version 47 includes a microcode update to fix a problem with hyperthreading.  You want that fix unless you turn hyperthreading off.  Usually, I don't update the BIOS unless I am having a problem.  You can google for more information about the Skylake/Kaby Lake hyperthreading issue.

Got it. Thanks. I'll look into it!

V

5 hours ago, rickca said:

I updated my NUC7i7BNH from Version 46 to Version 50 with out any problems. Roon ROCK is working great. Thanks for the help.

Just now, vlomdmdiv said:

I updated my NUC7i7BNH from Version 46 to Version 50 with out any problems.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm glad everything went well.