IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

21 minutes ago, fheller said:

Hello Chris

could you comment on the noiselevel the fan of the i7 Nuc produces?

Can it be placed in the same room as the Stereo?

Any comments are apreciated!

thanks.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:29 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Very good point. The ROCK has a fan. Right now it's really noisy because it's analyzing 300,000+ tracks for my newest installation. when it's running regular, it's pretty quiet. i can't say for sure if nobody will hear it in a listening room, but I'd be comfortable with it sitting in my room. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Re: noise - 

This review might be helpful: http://nucblog.net/2017/04/kaby-lake-i7-nuc-conclusions/ 

Seems that going with an i5 or awaiting a fanless case might better suit your requirements.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I 'm very interesting by this configuration but I have an Ayre QB9 as DAC and the only driver is a windows one so I think I couldn't connect directly the NUC computer with ROCK directly with the QB9 it won't reconize it??

What do you think?? Does it work with this AYRE dac?

Thanks

33 minutes ago, mnt111111 said:

I 'm very interesting by this configuration but I have an Ayre QB9 as DAC and the only driver is a windows one so I think I couldn't connect directly the NUC computer with ROCK directly with the QB9 it won't reconize it??

What do you think?? Does it work with this AYRE dac?

Thanks

99.999% sure your QB9 will work great. This Linux supports USB Audio Class 2. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My guess is that the noise level of ROCK running audio will be similar to Windows 10 idle.

Power off (noise floor) 33.3 dB

Windows 10, idle on desktop 35.6 dB

Hope reality is that from a sitting position it's substantially less obtrusive. My late 2014 MacMini is 12 db from what Apple calls the operator position, and that's using the noisier Fusion drive rather than silent SSD. However, using an SSD may potentially make things hotter and kick up the fan.  Can't find that spec'ed out. 

In measuring my spl from where I sit, when the system is in pause mode, I get 25 db (daytime). Guess I'll wait for a fanless or other implementation coming down the pike. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

3 minutes ago, granosalis said:

What about latest Intel ® NUC6I7KYK ? Is is compatible with ROCK?

I believe it will work fine, but I see no reason to purchase it over the i7 recommended. If you have it already, I'd give it a shot. I believe others have had success with it. 

P.S. Roon makes no promises with this specific NUC and the Thunderbolt port may not function. 

Hello, thanks for alerting me to this. I have one of the CAPS v4 with SOtM tX-USBexp card. Will I be able to use ROCK on this or will I be unable to install the SOtM tX-USBexp driver? Also will the BIOS on the motherboard be ok? Thanks, Ben

Hi Guys - Here's an update for everyone.

Based on my testing, the i7 NUC is much louder than I expected. It's clearly audible from across my listening room, when no music is playing. The annoying fan hasn't stopped spinning, and I'm not even playing music. 

In addition, I just updated to the newest version of Roon. Like some other updates, the database needed to be updated after the install. The NUC took 35 minutes to complete this update on my 300,000+ track library. Not a showstopper, just a data point.

roon-message.png

many thanks for your efforts on this...i'm a Roon subscriber with a 10 yr ass old laptop as my 'music server' (cough, cough)....and i'm no techie like many on this helpful site...of course my laptop can't handle the Roon dsp upsampling so often will tap out when trying various filters....currently i use roon, microrendu, tidal hifi (mostly streaming) and so i appreciate this layout a homemade approach....

it will be interesting to see the reviews of any turn key NUC product that Roon comes out with in a few months vs the various homemade solutions out there...is great that we can download the ROCK OS for free.  i'll probably either get someone to put the homemade version together for me...or attempt (fingers crossed) to do it myself.

i have a problem so love to get some help 

I installed rock on a nut based comp ...unfortunately I get no sound

my nuc is connected to metronome le player 2 ( a transport with build in dac which i think is m2tech )

please advice 

zaki

3 minutes ago, mdzaki said:

i have a problem so love to get some help 

I installed rock on a nut based comp ...unfortunately I get no sound

my nuc is connected to metronome le player 2 ( a transport with build in dac which i think is m2tech )

please advice 

zaki

You're connecting the DAC via USB to the NUC?

Does the DAC appear in the audio device setup as Connected to the Core?

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 9.36.16 AM.png