IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is a little more information about the differences.

From Wikipedia:

PCB of an M.2 module provides a 75-position edge connector; depending on the type of module, certain pin positions are removed to present one or more keying notches. Host-side M.2 connectors (sockets) may populate one or more mating key positions, determining the type of modules accepted by the host; as of April 2014, host-side connectors are available with only one mating key position populated (either B or M).[4][11][16] Furthermore, M.2 sockets keyed for SATA or two PCI Express lanes (PCIe ×2) are referred to as "socket 2 configuration" or "socket 2", while the sockets keyed for four PCI Express lanes (PCIe ×4) are referred to as "socket 3 configuration" or "socket 3".[1]:15[17]

For example, M.2 modules with two notches in B and M positions use up to two PCI Express lanes and provide broader compatibility at the same time, while the M.2 modules with only one notch in the M position use up to four PCI Express lanes; both examples may also provide SATA storage devices. Similar keying applies to M.2 modules that utilize provided USB 3.0 connectivity.[4][16][18]

Various types of M.2 devices are denoted using the "WWLL-HH-K-K" or "WWLL-HH-K" naming schemes, in which "WW" and "LL" specify the module width and length in millimeters, respectively. The "HH" part specifies, in an encoded form, whether a module is single- or double-sided, and the maximum allowed thickness of mounted components; possible values are listed in the right table above. Module keying is specified by the "K-K" part, in an encoded form using the key IDs from the left table above; it can also be specified as "K" only, if a module has only one keying notch.[4][11]

Beside socketed modules, the M.2 standard also includes the option for having permanently soldered single-sided modules.[11]

M.2 sockets with an "E" slot support Dual-Band Wireless LAN/Bluetooth cards (2230 or 1216).[19]

M2_Edge_Connector_Keying.svg.png

Very helpful, thanks again...is there any value in the higher speeds of the SSD you've chosen?

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 9.12.10 AM.png

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Correct. The i7 ROCK won't be taxed much at all I suspect.

great news,my next issue is storage would my old icycube which is only usb 2 be fast enough or would i realy need usb 3 Icy Dock MB561US-4SB-1 Quad Bay USB 2.0 and eSATA External Enclosure?

2 minutes ago, gary1 said:

great news,my next issue is storage would my old icycube which is only usb 2 be fast enough or would i realy need usb 3 Icy Dock MB561US-4SB-1 Quad Bay USB 2.0 and eSATA External Enclosure?

My guess is that you'd be totally fine. I'd definitely try it before purchasing a USB 3 version. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Can ROCK be run on a MAC?  

Currently using a MAC Mini with great success although I only have 500GB of Music files.  I don't have clue with you guys that have 300K files.  I can't remember all I have on 10K tracks...how in the hell can you actually listen to 300K tracks???   Do the math....there's not enough time for all those....incredible...

Love to learn about seeing if Linus would run on my MAC...

55 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

Can ROCK be run on a MAC?  

Currently using a MAC Mini with great success although I only have 500GB of Music files.  I don't have clue with you guys that have 300K files.  I can't remember all I have on 10K tracks...how in the hell can you actually listen to 300K tracks???   Do the math....there's not enough time for all those....incredible...

Love to learn about seeing if Linus would run on my MAC...

No. The supported hardware configuration is very specific - 5th, 6th or 7th generation NUC only.

14 hours ago, gcoupe said:

The Intel NUC has a fan, whereas the Nucleus will be fanless. How much noise does your NUCi7 generate? Is it quiet enough to place in your listening room, or have you put it in a cupboard somewhere? Thanks.

Akassa and others make fanless NUC cases.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless Chassis&type_sub=Fanless NUC&model=A-NUC35-A1B#

ROON Rock NUC, ALLO usb bridge, Exogal Comet, LTA MZ2, Quick Silver Mid Monos, Audio Note AN/E.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't want it to seem like I am defending the price or the typical multiplier or anything like that, I just want to provide some additional info. Heck, I just told people how to save over $1,000 :~)

P.S. Other companies already sell competing products, such as Small Green Computer and ELAC. SGC has a few products at many price ranged - https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server

Another point of reference is the newly announced Wyred 4 Sound music server. I just skimmed the announcement, but it shouldn't make Nucleus or Small Green Computer customers feel as if they overpaid.

The street date for the new device is projected for summer 2017 and an estimated price point of $2k-3k based on options.

An eternal problem with computers and HiFi has been the point where commodity hardware intersects. One of the weak points in many products is not enabling the end user to upgrade storage or RAM themselves if desired. Naim's replacement if the Uniti Serve with the Uniti Core which enables the customer to add / upgrade their own drive is tacit recognition of this.

49 minutes ago, John Milton said:

Thanks for the thorough guide!

You named the NUC7i3BNH and the NUC7i7BNH, personally I had my little eye on the NUC7i5BNH. Could you venture an educated guess how that would fare with al large (2TB) library, that will probably continue to grow?

You'll be totally good with the i5.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

As far as I know, it only supports them like any other "dumb" device. meaning, you can't connect a USB cable to an APC and have it shutdown gracefully etc...

Thanks for that information. That makes having good backup routines even more important :).

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Very good point. The ROCK has a fan. Right now it's really noisy because it's analyzing 300,000+ tracks for my newest installation. when it's running regular, it's pretty quiet. i can't say for sure if nobody will hear it in a listening room, but I'd be comfortable with it sitting in my room. 

Akasa sells a fanless Newton S7 case for the Intel Kaby Lake NUC family (NUC7i5BNH/K & NUC7i3BNH/K).  Unfortunately this case does not support the i7 version (NUC7i7BNH) with a much higher 28W CPU TDP rating.

I have had a Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) for almost a year, and just bought an Akasa Galactico fanless case for it (from performance-pcs.com) which is huge!  This NUC features a 45W 4-core/8-thread Core i7-6770HQ CPU and should be more than capable of running ROCK.

NUC and fanless/silent are not mutually exclusive, if one is willing to buy a fanless case and do the installation work...

I was dropping in a presentation by Enno Vandermer of Roon at the Highend 2017 and there was a discussion which NUC to choose and he recommended an I3 except when one needs to do massive DSP or on the fly format conversion like PCM to 2x or more DSD.

I have only Laptops (Macs) as do all my friends so I guess I would just for setup have to buy a keyboard and monitor. That would increase the price of the DIY installation to almost the Roon Nucleus version.

Great review of your purchase/setup.  One thing I was wondering about: does the NUC purchase include the necessary 19v 65w power supply (I'm assuming so, it's not mentioned, and I'm also guessing that purchasing the Akasa, which uses same spec power brick, would work as well)?  However, it would appear from the Akasa page that the i7 version is not explicitly supported).  

e.g. http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless Chassis&type_sub=Fanless NUC&model=A-NUC35-A1B#

Would using an LPS make any real difference (especially if, as you have done, are simply asking it to be your Roon Server (Core) device)?  And in accessing Roon via iOS or Android, are you relying on the NUC's WiFi or via the Ethernet connection to an attached WiFi Access Point?  

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

32 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Great review of your purchase/setup.  One thing I was wondering about: does the NUC purchase include the necessary 19v 65w power supply (I'm assuming so, it's not mentioned, and I'm also guessing that purchasing the Akasa, which uses same spec power brick, would work as well)?  However, it would appear from the Akasa page that the i7 version is not explicitly supported).  

e.g. http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless Chassis&type_sub=Fanless NUC&model=A-NUC35-A1B#

Would using an LPS make any real difference (especially if, as you have done, are simply asking it to be your Roon Server (Core) device)?  And in accessing Roon via iOS or Android, are you relying on the NUC's WiFi or via the Ethernet connection to an attached WiFi Access Point?  

Yes, the NUC comes with the PSU. 

The Akasa should work as well, as long as support for the i7 is figured out.

Using an LPS wouldn't make a difference to me in this type of setup, but many experience the benefits. I don't rule anything out.  

I'm using wired Ethernet.

8 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

A couple of clarifications. The Akasa Newton S7 is just a case - it does not come with a PSU. The Intel NUCs do come with a PSU. It's a DIY job to take the motherboard out of the Intel NUC and install it in the Akasa case. Here's an excellent video showing the process.

The Akasa Newton S7 does not support the Core i7 version of the new NUC line for the simple reason that the i7 has a TDP of 28 watts. The i3 and i5 CPUs have a TDP of 15 watts, and the thermal design of the fanless Akasa case is designed to cope with these models.