IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

On 02/06/2017 at 6:46 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Note: ROCK isn't for those looking to filter or resample audio by routing it through HQPlayer. Only the Roon OS can be installed on a ROCK, not the required HQPlayer app. Fortunately, Roon now features many DSP options natively and these will run on the core i7 NUC.

I don't exactly understand what you mean here. I haven't implemented Roon + HQPlayer yet, but from my understanding to use them together we have 2.5 options:

1. Roon Core + HQPlayer are on the same, powerful computer. 

2. Roon Core is on one computer, then HQPlayer is on another computer, configured as a playable zone in Roon and is connected to the DAC.

- This follows this Roon kb:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/HQPlayer

- This fits this Roon HQPlayer setup kb.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/HQPlayer_Setup

2.5 Follows #2, but the HQPlayer output is over the network and to an HQPlayer NAA device (essentially an endpoint/renderer), which connects to the DAC.

I believe your statement matches case #1, as the ROCK OS won't allow you to install HQPlayer Desktop on it. 

However, in case #2 and #2.5, I believe you can install Roon Core on the dedicated computer with ROCK OS and then follow the Roon + HQPlayer setup; point the Roon Core at the HQPlayer computer on the network and configure it as a zone within Roon.

I haven't followed through with this yet, but that's my understanding and I hope that it's true. I'd love to install Roon Core on a dedicated NUC running ROCK OS, as this would be the most stable and supported method, but I also need HQPlayer support. 

I'd appreciate your help in clarifying the above, as your original article casts a dark shadow on my hopes :-P

• 2 weeks later...